Our admissions process is not regionalized, so there is no regionalized officer who exclusively presents to your school or area. All of our admissions officers read applications from around the country and world, and are prepared to speak with you and answer your questions.
We are always happy to have a professional conversation on the phone, especially outside of the reading season. You are our professional colleagues, and we hope to both learn from you what is happening on the ground in high schools as well as share with you about MIT and our admissions process.
You are welcome to call our office during business hours (Monday–Friday, 9 AM–5 PM EST) at 1.617.253.3400, or to email our general staff email address at [email protected]. Be sure to identify yourself as a counselor and mention the name and location of your school. During the reading season (November–April), most admissions officers will either be away from the office reading applications or sequestered in the admissions committee.
Writing and submitting evaluation letters
In this process, we ask for you as well as two teachers at your school to write thoughtful letters on behalf of your applicants. For our advice and tips on writing a helpful and effective letter, see Writing recommendations.
Our recommendations process is online and managed through ApplyWithUs. We will continue to accept documents through Naviance/Parchment. Below, find instructions on how to use the MIT ApplyWithUs system:
- Look for a recommendation request email. If an applicant would like you to complete a Secondary School Report, they will enter your name and email into their application, and you will receive an email with instructions on how to submit these items confidentially online. You will need to follow the link in the email to link the applicant to your account.
- Create an account. To create an account, follow the link in the request email. You will be able to manage multiple applicants and all forms they request from you in one place.
- Complete the Evaluator Profile. The information you enter in the Evaluator Profile will pre-populate all other forms you are asked to complete.
- Follow the links in request emails. To complete a recommendation or submit a Secondary School Report electronically, you will need to follow the link in each request email you receive to link the applicant to your account.
- Complete the necessary items. Your “Dashboard” shows the Secondary School Reports requested from you as part of the application process. As you complete and submit each item, your “Dashboard” will update automatically.
Please contact us if you have any questions, we are happy to help!
Please let us know if you are coming to visit. In addition to the usual information session and campus tour, we’d be happy to have one of our admissions officers chat with you, maybe even have a cup of coffee together. All of this is time permitting, and visits outside of the November–April reading season are much easier for us to accommodate. Drop us a line at [email protected] or at +1.617.253.3400.
Matching a student with MIT
If you are a counselor, teacher, or school administrator interested in supporting a student’s candidacy for admission to MIT, you may be interested in reviewing a few of the following pages to help orient you in our application process:
These pages can give you an idea of what we’re looking for in our applicants, how our process works, and important dates and deadlines.