Behind the scenes of Glamour: Part 2 by Melis A. '08

A recap of three incredible days

What do the United Nations, the Four Seasons Hotel, Broadway, and Bryant Park have in common? Besides all being located in New York City, they were all venues of festivities to celebrate the Glamour Top 10 College Women competition. In three action-packed days, we met over 160 extremely accomplished and talented women who were former winners (including Martha Stewart), in addition to visiting all of the above locales. We not only had a ridiculous amount of fun, but also left the City feeling inspired and ready to accomplish our goals (the “girl power” spirit was contagious.)

While this Glamour event was just that – glamorous – and we were wined and dined and stayed in a fancy hotel, the beauty of the whole event was really the feeling we walked away with – that with hard work and support your big ideas can become reality.

On a side note, thanks to everyone who responded so enthusiastically to my first Glamour post. Most people are surprised to find out that Glamour has chosen a group of girls with such a wide breadth of interests because they view it exclusively as a beauty or fashion magazine. If you take a look at any issue (whether it be the June issue or otherwise), you’ll see that the magazine features important women’s issues, from a series of articles written by Mariane Pearl to health tips, in addition to the expected celebrity news and clothing tips. Admittedly, I wasn’t a Glamour reader before the competition, but I plan on subscribing now. Along the same lines, if you visit L’Oreal’s website, you’ll see the emphasis on science in the cosmetics industry, and their $40,000 fellowships to support women in science.

With that in mind, I’d highly encourage college girls out there to consider applying for the Glamour competition during your junior year. You can find the application at: http://www.glamour.com/images/news/2007/05/ttcw_app2008.pdf . If you still need some more convincing, I’ll give you a chance to browse through some pictures.

We took two trips to the Glamour office in Times Square (it’s within the Conde Nast building, whose entrance might look familiar if you’ve seen The Devil Wears Prada.) We saw the different departments hard at work and really got a feel for how much effort goes into making the magazine. Cindi Leive, the Editor-in-Chief and a Swarthmore graduate, showed us her office and the 20+ options for the August issue’s cover. It was really interesting to get a glimpse into a world that is so different from what I have been exposed to. Leive’s picture with Hilary Martens is below.

The big Awards Luncheon at the Four Seasons Hotel, where around 160 former winners reunited, had posters with pictures from earlier competitions:

Former winner, Cheryl Lee Ralph (actress, director, writer, singer), with Hilary (’07 winner):

Three of us (including Alia, also from MIT) with former winner Martha Stewart:

Talking to Martha Stewart (I just couldn’t resist putting this one in =) ):

We attended a panel discussion at the U.N. and also took a tour:

In front of the U.N. (with all but one of this year’s winners):

Our group, including Glamour staff member Lynda Laux-Bachand (our wonderful guide for the weekend), saw Legally Blonde: The Musical on Broadway. The producer, Dori Berinstein, was a 1981 winner, so after the show we got to ask questions to the cast and meet the writer of the book, Heather Hach (who also wrote the screenplay for “Freaky Friday”). The musical was so full of energy and hilarious, especially the song called, “Omigod You Guys.” It was also just nominated for 7 Tony Awards:

With the writer:

With the producer of the musical:

10 responses to “Behind the scenes of Glamour: Part 2”

1. Wes says:

It seems strange that a cosmetics company would actually take an interest in supporting science. Subscribers to Glamour just don’t strike me as having science as one of their major interests. Perhaps Glamour is trying to increase their reader base. At least more money is going where it’s needed. Hey, if it works…

2. Fangfei says:

The festivities sound amazing! Legally Blonde is also a great show and fits so well with the other events. I’d love to see it again just for its energy. GO GIRL POWER!

3. Wings '11 says:

So amazing! Sounds like you had a blast! I want to see Legally Blonde so badly – I saw a preview of it during the awards show, but it’s not near here =(

And yeah, I must say that I am guilty of the “Glamour = fashion magazine” impression. I haven’t yet picked up a copy of it, but I will =)

4. Harsh Sinha says:

WOMEN POWER ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    I WAS TRIFLE BAFFLED WHEN I GOT INTO THE CLUTCHES OF THIS EXEMPLRY ARTICLE.
    THE MODERN SCENARIO STILL RETAINS THE HYPOCRITICAL SENSE INCONGRUITY . . . .
    BEING AN INDIAN I CHEST GETS WIDEN WHEN I YAKE THE NAME OF L.KALPANA CHAWLA 7 CERTAINLY SUNITA WILLIAMS;
    WOMEN ARE MARCHING ON & ON ALONG WITH MEN;
    AND THAT IS THE TRUE POWER OF THIS WORLD OF GLOBALIZATION . . . . .

5. Kate says:

Melis —
    Congratulations on the Glamour article and on all of your accomplishments! (I finally bought the magazine and read it this past week.) These behind the scenes posts were really interesting, and the Top 10 College Women spread was awesome!

I hope all of your success continues.

6. Kate says:

Melis —

I hope all of your success continues.

7. mayuresh says:

Hi,
    I am engineering student from India.I want to take admission to Masters or Phd program in electrical engineering at MIT.kindly tell me about average GPA and other requirments.
    Regards
    Mayuresh
    [email protected]

8. Vytautas says:

First post!
    Sorry, I couldn’t resist being 1st poster the second time.

9. Loved the glamour article! Well written and informative.

Such a positive ethos. Anything is possible!