MIT staff blogger Kim Hunter '86

CPW is for Parents Too… by Kim Hunter '86

...enjoy your visit!

When I arrived at MIT to start my freshman year I had never been on the campus before. I quickly realized it was all I had hoped for and more. I was fortunate that my family decided to take a vacation in New England about the same time so I was able to show them almost immediately why I loved it so much here.

CPW has been designed with the students in mind but there are a lot of activities planned for parents too. Obviously we want all our visitors to enjoy their time on campus so here are some suggested events to attend and tips on making the most of your CPW experience.

Parent’s Hospitality Lounge Grab a cup of coffee or tea and chat with current MIT parents as well as other parents of MIT prefrosh. Also, learn about the MIT Parents Association and the Parent Connector Network from current volunteers and staff.

Financial Aid Appointments Have questions regarding your financial aid package or the financial aid process in general? Either get your questions answered immediately by the Financial Aid Counselor on-hand or schedule a 20-minute appointment to speak one-on-one with a Student Financial Services representative.

Events

Parent Welcome on Thursday night at 7:30 pm Stu Schmill, Dean of Admissions and Donald Sadoway, John F. Elliott Professor of Materials Chemistry, will welcome the Class of 2013 parents to Campus Preview Weekend.

Parent Reception with Parent Connectors and Alumni on Friday night at 5:00 pm Sponsored by the MIT Parents Association and the MIT Club of Boston, this reception is your chance to meet and mingle with Parent Connectors, Educational Counselors and other MIT Alumni. Presenters include Phillip Clay, Chancellor and Professor of City Planning, and Kim Vandiver ’75, Dean for Undergraduate Research.

Insight for Parents by Parents is Saturday morning at 8:30 am A panel of current MIT parents will be on hand to share their insights and answer your questions. Sponsored by the MIT Parents Association.

Parent Connector Saturday Night Drop-In After the closing variety show join us “Under the Great Dome” for an informal gathering hosted by the Chair of the MIT Parent Connectors.

Panels & Sessions

Residential Life at MIT Our on-campus residential community boasts 12 residence halls, 38 fraternities, sororities and independent living groups as well as a wide variety of dining services. Karen Nilsson, Senior Associate Dean for Residential Life, will lead a discussion covering life in residences, residential support offerings, activities, dining options, roommate matching and more.

Come learn about all aspects of UROP at MIT, including how to participate, what type of research is appropriate, what to expect from the program, and more. Discussion will center on the experiences of the UROP student panel as moderated by UROP staff.

Financial Aid Presentation Parents and students are welcome to attend this program on the hows, whys and whens of financial aid at MIT — how we determined your financial aid award, when your supplemental forms are due, how to pay your balance, how to find on-campus student employment, and how your online student account will work. Director of Student Financial Aid, Daniel Barkowitz, will address these issues and more, as well as answer your questions.

Four Panels for Parents Learn about the many kinds of interactions that occur between students and faculty at MIT, and the wonderful collaborative environment in which they work and study together. Find out about the many ways students get involved in and lead campus activities and athletics that help to enhance areas of intellectual, personal and social development. From MIT Medical to Student Support Services and safety, MIT’s campus features a widespread and multi-layered care system for the mind, body and spirit. Discover more about each of these areas on Saturday afternoon.

Open Houses

Multiple open houses will be held over the weekend. These include areas relating to Medical Services, Careers Development, Hillel, Global Education (study abroad and more), Pre-Professional Advising (Pre-Med and more), departments, and housing.

And for the rest…

I’ve named just a handful of the events created with you in mind for CPW and I hope you’ll take advantage of as many of them as you can. But with so much to do how can you really get the most out of the experience?

I hope you’ll ask lots of questions. It’s the way our students learn and will work for you too. Current students are great resources so don’t be afraid to ask them about their experiences.

I hope you’ll be open-minded during your visit with us. While my parents did ultimately understand why I wanted to be at MIT, I’ll never forget the look on my mother’s face when I told her I was moving into a co-ed dorm. I was, after all, her “little girl”.

Pick an event where you can meet up with your student each day (perhaps the President’s Welcome on Friday and the Closing Ceremony on Saturday) but mostly let them “do their own thing”. It’s the best way for them to figure out if they are comfortable and at home on our campus.

Bring comfortable shoes and a jacket or sweater. Evenings can be cool here in the spring and it will even occasionally rain (just like on Red Sox Opening Day last week).

Most importantly I hope you’ll take some time to explore Boston while you’re here! You could be making several visits to “our fair city” over the next few years and a beautiful spring day is a great time to discover Boston and Cambridge.

Let me know if you need a restaurant recommendation…

9 responses to “CPW is for Parents Too…”

1. Meyer says:

Thanks Kim, we look forward to this weekend.

How should we dress for the “Parent Reception with Parent Connectors and Alumni on Friday night at 5:00 pm”?

2. las1 says:

As a mom of an ’11…I LOVED CPW. I said good-bye to my son and really didn’t see or hear from him much during the time we were there. I attended a few things on campus that interested me but mostly….I poked ALL OVER Boston…what a GREAT city! (I’m from the west) I knew that in the fall my husband would make the trip when we dropped our son at school so I did the shopping thing while I was there during CPW and we did the historical stuff in the fall. No need to rent a car…the public transportation is awesome! I texted my son every now and then to ask how he was and his response was usually…fine, barely alive. I don’t know how they go so long without sleep! Have fun all you CPWers!

First First

4. Kim '86 says:

@ Meyer: Please come in what is comfortable for you. You will have had a busy day with lots to do so come as you are grin

@las1: Great words! Thanks so much for chiming in.

5. comboy says:

Kim, i couldn’t make my second yogurt eatable. i tried so hard to re-heat but it ended into sink.
    first one looked much better and my friends loved it. i bought wooden table-spoon for second one, new pot, fresh yogurt(culture) and heat before it boils.
    if i bring my own-made yogurt once upon a upcoming CPW, can i wish everyone will love it?

sorry to say this in your blog, my comments in ARTalk are removed to reduce spam or to check my mutual feelings

6. Lily says:

Dear Kim,

I am a Chinese student in Grade 8, and will be travelling to the States with my parents during my summer vacation, thus I wish to pay a visit to your esteemed school, as I do expect to take a challenges for being one of your school’s students after my graduation from high school in China. So,I wish to know if my application for this visit in late July is acceptable to you .Please let me know,thanks.

Sincerely yours

Lily

7. comboy says:

I just Transferred Milk into Cheese for the first time in my life

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cviolet/sets/72157617031961608/

using my MoM’s guide over the phone. she enlight me few days ago. what would she say when she will see its picture

8. Dear Kim,
    could you, please, give some information about this year’s transfer process? Are the decisions already out? When are we going to receive them? Thank you! smile