MIT staff blogger Kris Guay

Early Action this year by Kris Guay

I'm so impressed with our applicants

*Update as of 2015: Early action is available to both domestic and international students.

I had a great time this past November reading your applications for early action. Truly. I consider it a privilege to read your essays, to learn about your cultural heritage and family background, and discover how you define yourself as a student and a person. I especially loved reading about all the ways students are aligned with MIT’s mission to use math and science to improve the world.

We had more Early Action applications than ever this year, 6,541 to be exact. Just as in previous years, this was an extremely selective Early Action cycle. Of those 6,541 early applicants, we admitted 650 students

These students represent some of the best minds and exceptional stars of our future. We welcome them to campus, where they will join the similarly accomplished, and diverse community of students at MIT. Our Early Action admits come from 48 states and dozens of countries, bringing with them all their talents in music and art, their athletic prowess, their love for the quirky, their various interests in cooking, origami, computer programming, architecture, and all things math and science.

We deferred 4,397 applicants. These students will be considered again in Regular Action. If you are a deferred student and you have questions, see our recent blog post and join the discussion thread.

For all the students who we were not able to offer admission this year, please believe that you are also exceptionally talented, intelligent individuals. The highly selective nature of our process means that we have to turn away many students we would love to take. We wish all of these students the best of luck in the rest of their college admission process.

Again, congratulations to the newest members of the Class of 2017. (Keep checking those mailboxes!) The open blogs will stay open for a bit longer for students to continue with the conversations that have been started since Saturday.

Happy Holidays!