MIT student blogger Jessie L. '07

East Campus Rush photos by Jessie L. '07

I’ve been remiss in posting about Dorm Rush or Hall Rush, both of which happened about a month ago now. But I finally organized my pictures. In this case, a picture really is worth a thousand words, so I’ll let the pictures do the talking. These are EC Rush photos. In the next entry, I’ll cover Hall Rush with 5E Rush photos.

Most of these are actually from right after Dorm Rush ended. We had a picnic in the courtyard, and rode the rides that people built.

Most of what we build is made of wood. This year, some of our wooden structures were connected by bridges.

We had a roller coaster, in the style where one hangs below the track rather than sitting in a car on top of the track. We had the car-on-top-of-the-track style in 2004. It was called “8.01: The Ride”. This year’s roller coaster was called “Danger Zone”, which makes me think of the movie Top Gun. You know, “Ride into the danger zone…”

Despite its name, we took a lot of safety precautions with Danger Zone. Riders were strapped in with harnesses and had to wear helmets. I didn’t manage to get a good picture of a rider in motion, but I did get a picture of this rider who was about to start his/her ride.

Not every attraction has to be a ride. We also had this…thing. I guess it’s a mountain of wood and furniture. Top: Rachel ’09. Bottom left to right: Ross ’09, Christina (Harvard) ’09, someone I probably know but don’t recognize from behind in this picture, Greg ’09, and Matt ’09.

We had another big ride that I actually enjoyed riding more. It was really, really fun, and surprisingly comfortable. No, that’s not me in the photo.

Here’s another picture of it. As you can see, the rider is very safely strapped in. All our Rush rides are approved by the Safety Office.

Here, my hallmate Clayton ’08 prepares to ride. In the background, Nick ’09, Tao Ben ’09, and others help the previous rider off the cross.

All in all, I thought we had pretty fun Rush attractions this year.