MIT student blogger Bryan O. '07

Get Your Wii On. by Bryan

A Dome Hack!!!

In honor of the release of the Nintendo Wii the Great Dome found itself hacked.

Photo Credit: Eric Schmiedl

More photos can be found here

Update (11/19/06; 2:08 PM)

The cultural reference for that symbol goes back to one of my favorite video games from when I was a kid, Zelda!

The symbol is the Triforce symbol.

From zelda.com

The Triforce

The holy Triforce was created by three Goddesses to serve as a symbol of their sacred bond with Hyrule — the world they had created. The Goddess Din offered the Triforce of Power, Nayru contributed the Triforce of Wisdom, and Farore presented the Triforce of Courage. Combined, the three pieces formed the ultimate sacred Triforce.

35 responses to “Get Your Wii On.”

1. Paula says:

YESSS. Wii power!

2. dama says:

i will go to mit

3. I had no idea that the Dome was a portal to the Sacred Realm. . .

4. Indonesian says:

It’s traditions like these that make me even more wanting to study at MIT…

5. Adam says:

Haha, awesome! It seems dome hacks are getting more and more frequent now. Eventually, there will be multiple groups competing for a spot on the dome each night.. grin
    -Adam
    T-minus 21 days, 4 hours, 58 minutes, and 19.4 seconds.

6. ICE says:

it is so cool.

7. Guyomar says:

HA!

I was reading some comments. . . stuff about how such things make people even more attracted to MIT. There are traditions at every university/college. Not just MIT.

8. Mike says:

Sure, but not all of those traditions are as cool as MIT’s =P

9. Melissa Hunt says:

true, but MIT’s traditions are just better wink

10. Frank Trampe says:

What is the significance of that shape?

11. Bryan says:

Frank,

See my update above.

– Bryan

12. Sean says:

Long live Nintendo..

13. Seth says:

nice..

I went with my friend to get a Wii last night. Playing it was the most interactive experience I’ve ever had in console gaming (Wii Sports and Zelda are awesome).

Wii Rules!

14. Daniel says:

Ha! That’s awesome. This is one of the traditions I want to be a part of if I get accepted… Hacks rule!

15. Nur says:

that made my day yesterday

16. Murph says:

Gotta finish my application so my parents will let me play my Wii…

17. jas says:

hey bryan,
    the link above about nintendo doesn’t work..

18. Bianca says:

Haha Just another reason why MIT is so interesting.

All hail the mighty Nintendo Wii!

19. Buddy says:

HAHA YES! Ocarina of Time is a classic. Wii is the way to go, I think, especially since PS3 is so ridiculously expensive.

20. theresa says:

yeah, and I heard some guy got a PS3 for free because he had one tatooed on himself…
    I’m not really much of a gamer person (thanks to parents) –
    my extent of “gaming” goes to tetris on a TI-89 — smile
    haha.
    still a nice hack though… smile

Isnt the PS3 a blue ray dvd player too, which in itself is ridiculously expensive. I also hear that they are losing a couple hundred for each console sold (making profit off games)

22. Adam says:

Is it just me, or is Link the only very good release title for the Wii? Theres a list of the release titles about 1/3 down this page – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

Love the hack, but I’m still not so sure about the Wii.. I shall be patient and see if it is worth it or not. (The controller is awesome, though!)

23. I cried. MIT is my school. I must go to MIT.

24. Jenn says:

hacks! zelda pwns forever

i had to beat down the mobs at the electronics department in target where i work…i was like a scene from a not so funny b-movie

i’m not sure i want to work the release of a system again haha

~Jenn

25. Jenn says:

hacks! zelda pwns forever

i had to beat down the mobs at the electronics department in target where i work…it was like a bad scene from a not so funny b-movie

~Jenn

26. Atul says:

MIT , here I come !

27. Adam says:

Jenn –
    I went to BestBuy the day after Thanksgiving two years ago, to purchase a pretty good computer for $200. There were other great deals, too. I waited in line for 6 hours, and was the last one to get a computer.. Anyway, the store was COMPLETELY swamped when they opened.. Every inch of the store was occupied by a customer.

When I checked out, it turns out that it was the 1st day of work for the guy running the checkout lane! I can’t imagine how horrible it must have been for him!

I called MIT to check a few things about my application, and guess what? My application was out for review.. Today! Its scary knowing that Matt, Ben, or another one of MIT’s esteemed admissions officers might be reading my application at this very moment!

Finally, what is the plural of Wii! I can’t figure it out! Is it Wiis? Or perhaps, does it just remain Wii? (i.e. “I have two Wii.”) Or maybe, just maybe, it becomes Wiii.

Bah, after Googling this problem, it seems that Nintendo wants us to say “Wii systems”, so Wii doesn’t have an official plural. :-(

-Adam

28. Jack says:

go wii!

*waits patiently until christmas*

29. Rick says:

The Wii is the next generation of console gaming due to better controls. smile

The tribute to the Wii at MIT is awesome.

– Rick S.

30. Prashanth says:

I am so crazy! I waited in line for 16 hours to get a wii and zelda! Have been playing zelda for 13 years. I love it.

31. yah.. i love this about MIT.. yah traditions like this keeps the college alive and students active… I have read a lot about this Wii.. seems to ready to give a huge blow to XBox.. but I’m still on the PS3 camp!!!!

32. Jack says:

Awesome, ‘Wii’ love it … MIT Hacks are seriously great advertisements for the university.

Has inspired me to think of such acts at my school … Wonder how my teachers will respond though, planning to pin a red ribbon onto my school’s main wall in response to the upcoming World Aids day … True that it isn’t as flashy as a triforce or R2D2 but it is for an equally good cause!

>Haha, awesome! It seems dome hacks are getting more and more frequent now. Eventually, there will be multiple groups competing for a spot on the dome each night.. grin

It actually was pretty close to that this week. Prior to the triforce, some group had put a flag on the dome that was up for a couple of days.

34. Elizabeth says:

Hey- First of all, wii is awesome. Secondly, is there any one who has a bunch of previous hack pix? It’d be pretty cool to put those on the blogs.