MIT student blogger Yuliya K. '18

Gingerbread Gone Horribly Right by Yuliya K. '18

"run, run, as fast as you can..."

Caution: this post is probably NSFW.

Two Decembers ago, when I was just a babby sophomore, my floor had a gingerbread decorating party. It was one of a series of events organized by The Committee, an elected group of 1e residents with a small social budget.

What started as a wholesome gingerbread house and person decorating event quickly went off the rails, thanks to some wonderful teamwork—we’re all about the collaboration around here. This post is a photographic journey through the gingerbread downfall. And as a bonus, I’m including some pictures from this year’s decorating party, with new people and a different creative direction (plus homemade biscuits!).

First, we were cute and excited…

(American Gothic with our communal frog spoons)
Then, things started to get darker…
…and darker. Soon, the house was destroyed. But a worse fate awaited the person…
Together, we added more and more gruesome details. And knives…
The kitchen table became a crime scene…
When the creative process of destruction was complete, we took pictures for the blogs. Then it took me two years to write the post. Half of the people in the images have graduated, some are seniors, and the fresh-faced freshmen are almost-adult juniors…
Two years since that event, one of the people in the photos, Kristen Y. ’19, now a The Committee member (“The” is essential), organized a second gingerbread decorating party. This time, people could also get involved in the baking process! And it turned out very different…

Credits: Huge thank you to Kylie C. ’21, Kristen Y. ’19, and Anna W. ’21 for the 2017 photos, editorial comments, and title. Thank you also to all the first east residents and alums who volunteered for the photos in 2015! 
THE END