Happy 4th of July! by Melis A. '08

Glorious red, white, and blue

Ah, glorious government holidays! Happy Fourth of July! Enjoy the day off, free street parking, copious amounts of barbequed meat, and beautiful displays of explosives.

That is… as long as your weather report doesn’t look like this:

Well I may not go to see the fireworks today, but in a few minutes I will watch the Germany vs. Italy semifinal match! I love Italy’s amazing Roman ruins, gelato, pasta, and shopping, but I’ve got my money on Germany. Good thing the weather conditions are better in Dortmund.

And, speaking of pasta, I was memorizing information about bacteria this morning (for the MCATs, of course), and I noticed that the names for the shapes of bacteria — cocci, bacilli, spirilla– sound strangely similar to those for pasta. Bacilli with tomato sauce, anyone? Ok, yes, the MCATs are making me crazy!

Time for some futbol!

5 responses to “Happy 4th of July!”

1. Minh says:

Melis! I rooted for italy and they won! Shocking, those two goals.

Good luck on MCATS!

2. Drew says:

Darn, I was enjoying thinking that the weather was going to stay hot but pleasant.

3. Phil Kim says:

sorry for getting back to u late – it’s been at the Lipsett Theater in building 10 past times. here’s the site: http://www.training.nih.gov/student/common/handbook.pdf

(at page 7)

went to DC and heard Stevie Wonder sing while seeing the fireworks! =]glad it didn’t rain then…

4. JKim says:

THAT MATCH WAS INCREDIBLE. I watched the entire thing. Absolutely insane.

5. Waaah. WAAAH, Mel, Waaah. I know I’m late in commenting, but all I have to say about that match is WAAAAAAAH in my most obnoxious voice possible. On the plus side, Lahm is hot.