McCormick: Girls Wanted by Melis A. '08

Minh '10 shares her love of McCormick Hall.

The following entry was written by the very cool and talented Minh ’10:

Hi. I’m Minh. You can call me Minnie, or Minhsie, or any version of the name. Some of you may have read about me in Melis’ previous entries, but the short version of the story is that I’m currently a freshman at MIT who just declared Course 15: Management. I’m considering also doing something with Courses 18 – Mathematics or 7 – Biology. Melis and I go way back, to high school, actually, and then to last April, when I was her prefrosh! I’m also Melis’ little sister in our sorority, Alpha Chi Omega.

Anyway, the point of this entry was to introduce you to yet another of the wonderful living groups at MIT. I live in McCormick Hall, MIT’s only all-female dormitory. MIT women choose to live here for a variety of reasons, whether it’s because they like the idea of living without any boys (they’re welcome to come visit us but can’t actually live here!), because of McCormick’s central location on campus, or many other reasons. MIT Admissions has a really great picture of McCormick:

(from Admission’s Residential Life / Housing Options)

McCormick hall is split into two towers: East and West, and also has an Annex. East Tower, where I live, is comprised of only single occupancy rooms, West is a mix of singles, doubles, and triples, and the Annex is a fairly recent addition to McCormick.

This is my room just after I moved in.

It doesn’t really look like this anymore because I’ve kind of rearranged a lot of the furniture and acquired a lot more stuff =). I have a gorgeous river view of the Boston skyline, and thus love my room. When there’s nice weather out, I get to see the MIT Sailing and Crew Teams.

McCormick also has some really great facilities.

Here’s Becca ’08 and Petra ’07 standing outside McCormick on a lovely spring afternoon, waiting to go on one of our social events: a sunset cruise along the Charles River! These two are the current and former McCormick presidents. They’re cool.

14 responses to “McCormick: Girls Wanted”

1. is there an all boys dorm???

2. Melis says:

Ankit,

No, there is not an all boys dorm. There are fraternity houses and I think MacGregor has/had an all boys floor.

3. Nick says:

Random has some all-male floors I think.

4. Susan says:

Chocolate City is also an all boys dorm.

5. Ronny CHEN says:

first… but i’m a boy…

Great post. Chocolate City, interesting name for an all guys dorm smile

Chocolate City is not a dorm, but a living group within a dorm, New House

MacGregor used to have an all-male entry, but it went co-ed at the beginning of my senior year (2005-06). There are some all-male suites in MacGregor and BC, though.

Yeah, Chocolate City is all guys. It’s like French house or German house, it’s its own separate entity inside New House. Not only is it all guys, but you I’m pretty sure you have to be black (I don’t know if it’s a requirement), so white guys get to live with girls for their first year.

You don’t have to be black to live in Chocolate City, but not many other people move there.

I had no idea that East Tower was all singles! That’s pretty cool.

11. hawk says:

Wait, is it a puzzle? One can’t declare one major ‘or’ another, and one of two is false, thus you must be course 7. (eop)

12. hawk says:

I just declared Course 8: Biblical Archaeology

13. Minh says:

What I meant to say is that I’m also considering math (18) and biology (7). Melis, can you fix that edit? Thanks!

14. Wings '11 says:

Gah! As soon as I leave for Mexico, 39058 blogs go up! Well, I’m back now, so I can comment =)

I was in McCormick for CPW. It’s a very nice dorm. The people there are great and it’s *very* clean and the rooms are a decent size, too (I was in a triple, and it was huge). So yeah, my 2c =)