MIT Regular Action Decisions Now Available Online by Chris Peterson SM '13

MIT Regular Action admissions decisions for the Class of 2026 are now available in the application portal. To check your decision, login to the portal and visit your Application Status page. There, you will be able to see your decision by clicking View Update. There are no interim screens, so you should be sure you are prepared to receive your decision before you click View Update. 

This past year, inclusive of both Early and Regular Action, 33,796 students applied to join the MIT Class of 2026. This is another record high: about a 2% increase from last year, with both being well above the pre-pandemic baseline of about 20,000 applications. Nonetheless, our dedicated team carefully considered them all, subjecting them to the same standard of attentive, empathetic, holistic review, and taking as much time as needed to get the job done right.  

Of those 33,796 applicants, we have offered admissions to 1,337 students who will have the opportunity to climb the mountain that is MIT. They hail from all 50 states, 65 countries, and more than 900 different high schools. Though they all do different things — geology and gardening, rowing and refactoring, proofwriting and pastoralism — they are united by a shared standard of rigorous academics, high character, and a strong match with MIT’s mission to use science, technology, and the useful arts to make the world a better place. We can’t wait to welcome them to our campus to join the outstanding undergraduates who already call MIT home.

There are also students who may be climbing other mountains, with other fellow mountaineers, next fall. Of the students to whom we do not offer admission today, we have placed a modest number on our waitlist and informed the balance that we will not be able to admit them to the Class of 2026. Getting to “meet” so many capable, compassionate students through this process has, as always, left us bleary-eyed and reminded us that what we do is more than a job: it is a privilege and an honor. We are grateful to have walked this short part of your path with you. 

If you are among the many stellar students to whom we are not offering admission, then all I can remind you is that success is not always a straight line. That your path isn’t something MIT sets you on, it’s something you explore yourself. And if you spend the next few years trying to make wherever you are as amazing as you can (as you already are), then someday you’ll look back on this Pi Day and realize it all worked out okay.

I’m closing comments on this blog post to concentrate conversation in the open threads for admitted, waitlisted, and not admitted students. Answers to frequently asked questions for waitlisted students can be found here, with more information about next steps to come in early April.

Congratulations to the Class of 2026, and best wishes to all of our applicants. No matter where you enroll next fall, please make it a better place. I know you can. I hope you will.