MIT student blogger Shannon M. '12

MIT Admissions by Shannon M. '12

Valentine's Day Cards! Welcome to your moments of fame, 13's.

Following last year’s tradition, here is a few applicants’ moment of fame on the MIT Admissions Blogs- send me a picture of you and your card, and I’ll add you to the post. :) It’s kind of a fun way to meet your classmates, and it’ll at least be entertaining to look at a year from now. I now know almost everyone who sent a picture in, and ironically one kid even ended up at that little brick school down the road despite posing with his card. Le sigh. I suppose it happens even to the best of us.

But without further ado, let’s roll out the red carpet for our first 3 respondents.

We start with Narce ’13, a proud 13-er (one of the 13(37)? okay, bad joke.) who may or may not like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain, I didn’t ask. He maintains that he is in fact NOT making a peace sign, but, and I quote, “as an otaku, that can only be ‘V for Victory!'”

The acute observer will note the Class of 2013 poster in the background and fantastically nerdy t-shirt, an excellent choice of attire. Kudos, Narce.

NathanArce2

Next up is Nathan ’13 of Ponte Vedra, FL, who is actually one of my neighbors’ cousins. We’ve never met. We actually just found this out. Fun fact.

Anyways, Nathan goes for inquisitive look. Nathan, keep practicing. You will be making this face a lot next year at psets.

tube

And finally we come to Sheila ’13 of Connecticut, who opts for separate pictures of the tube and card. Probably because they came at different times, but we’ll pretend that artistic emphasis was the goal. Clearly.

P2050011

12/18/08

So send me your pictures and I’ll keep adding them to the post! Happy Valentine’s Day from MIT!

EDIT:

Oh, but wait! There’s more!

First off in round two, we have Richard ’13 from Brawley, CA, and “if you don’t know where that is, it’s ok (99.9999% of the population doesn’t).” I didn’t. I had to look it up on a map. I also tend to know nothing about geography west of Wisconsin, though.

DSCN0347(2)

Also, please note that his beaver says Tim. That is awesome.

Next up is Paula ’13 from Coconut Creek, FL, wearing yet another awesomely-nerdy-shirt-from-the-COOP-that-I-wish-I-owned.

Valentine

And finally we have Maria ’13 from Cleveland, OH (where I actually lived for a year or so, fun fact) sporting the classic tube-card-card pose. Solid choice.

maria

Alright, guys, unless you get me a picture in the next 34 minutes, you have missed your chance for a moment of fame on the MITty blogs. Hope you had a great Valentine’s Day!

EDIT #2:

Okay, Alex ’13 brought up a good point in that it’ll be Valentine’s Day for three hours longer in California than Boston in the EST. So I’m not really being fair in cutting off your picture submits. So just keeping sending them. It’s not like I’ll be asleep.

So speaking of Alex, he’s from Colton, California (I know where that is! yay Google maps.) and will likely be in for a surprise this time next year. Surprise! Boston is cold. Sorry to spoil it for you.

And Happy Valentine’s Day, again. Let’s see who can be the last person to get their picture in before Valentine’s Day officially ends. A contest to be last. That should be a new one for you guys.

51 responses to “MIT Admissions”

1. Narce says:

Lol, I guess you decided to use our blogging names? Though that made me look like the only one with a weird one XP

For everyone else, that’s Nathan Arce.

Though I guess it would be weird to have two Nathans in her post.

2. Ilyanep says:

Okay, no matter where I go to college, I now plan to call myself one of the 13(37). Thank you for starting a glorious glorious thing.

3. ngolsh says:

@Narce

Not only do you rub it in that you got in early and i didn’t, you flip me off, too.

haha jk. congratulations to all of you smile

4. YOON says:

“it happens even to the best of us.”
    hahahaha

5. Sheila '13 says:

Lol. “Narce”. :p

6. Matt A. says:

congrats, guys, and as a deferred EA’er, I’m a little jealous. Oh well, I’ll just have to hope for RA…

7. Matt A. says:

8. EA'13 says:

So that is Narce….

9. me says:

You’re very sportive Narce. Have fun at MIT!

10. Narce says:

Hah, but in reality, no one who isn’t friends with me on facebook will even remember my face until CPW XP

11. Narce says:

@people who say I’m flipping of the camera!

If I was, then that Christmas card would have fallen out of my hand. Nice try, though.

@Lala, I got that shirt directly from the Coop.

Congrats to everyone. smile

Where did Paula get that awesome shirt from? I dont see it on the COOP website.

14. Alex '13 says:

Haha! Narce, you are internet famous.

15. EA'13 says:

Oh no, they will remember you….

16. Paula says:

It’s at the COOP. The big one I think… A lot of cool shirts aren’t on the website.

17. Lala :) says:

Congratulations to all of you! However, if I’m not mistaken, isn’t that a UChicago shirt worn by Narce? smile

18. Lala :) says:

19. me says:

Narce, does your left hand have a mind of its own, or was that unintentional? =D

20. '12 says:

I feel old.

@ Lala
    MIT sells those shirts as well.

22. Paula says:

Sadly, no, I don’t work with them. I visited once though.

Burnett?

Is the 10% off coupon good at the COOP in person or only online?

24. Narce says:

I fully intend to use it at CPW at the same one at which I bought my shirt, so it better be usable in person >.>

25. Jamo says:

Man, I know what I would do for a picture if I was accepted. So excited for march! haha!

Hmmm Coconut Creek eh? I wonder if Paula works with FIRST team 1251 from ATC.
    -Jamo

26. deng says:

@narce:
    I wrote about your shirt in one of my MIT short essays xD

Is this supposed to be the caffeine molecular formula?
    I think there is a CH3 missing…

28. Richard'13 says:

@Matt
    Oh yeah! Burnett man!
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Good luck dude! Hope you get in too!
    Let me know if you do!!!!
    To everyone else (RA’s and deferred EA’s)
    GOOD LUCK TOO!!

29. Richard '13 says:

@Paula

Burnett is a Boys’ State thing. Matt and I were both there last year. Each group was a designated “City.” Our city was called Burnett.

30. Richard '13 says:

@Paula

31. Matt says:

Awesome, Richard! It’s good to see Burnett represented. Hopefully I’ll join you in the fall in Boston

32. comboy says:

/Applications /Installer Log File /Library /Network /System /User Guides And Information /Users /Volumes /Xcode3.1.4 /bin /cores /dev /etc /home /mach_kernel /net /private /sbin /tmp /usr /var First off in round two, we have Richard ’13 from Brawley, CA, and “if you don’t know where that is, it’s ok (99.9999% of the population doesn’t).” */

I know where Richard ’13 from Brawley, CA is

That’s him in front of a mirror

33. Comboy, Lord McMuffin makes better jokes than that. Au Revoir monsieur.

34. David says:

hey, I have a question, do you consider it wise to attend a 2009 summer scholars at the University of Miami, for 4,000 dollars to take enginnerig courses? a pastor of my church had agreed to help me pay it. how do i know if those credits would transfer to MIT? by the way i am a high school junior who plans to apply. anyway please comment, and thank you.

35. David says:

Oh, no.
    It’s correct. It’s not caffeine, it’s theobromine.
    Much better… I don’t like coffee, but I love chocolate!

37. Richard '13 says:

@ DeA

Nice. I was waiting for someone to catch that =P
    Yeah. I love that shirt though. I think it’d probably be BETTER if it just said TIM.
    Oh well…

38. Shannon says:

@David- I’m not sure whether that credit would transfer, to be honest. If I were you, I’d decide whether the money would be worth it and if you really, really want to take these classes. The fact remains that other colleges’ classes != MIT’s classes, so if that’s your incentive I wouldn’t do it.

@others- Guys, I know the beaver’s shirt says MIT. Why do you think our mascot’s named Tim? raspberry

39. Why can’t I know NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE waiting!!!! all you ppl who know, appreciate your beautiful blessing…..
    and how did ya’ll not get that Richard’s picture was a mirror image? do you usually take pictures of yourself holding a camera?? lol!!!

40. Why can’t I know NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE waiting!!!! all you ppl who know, appreciate your beautiful blessing…..

41. Why can’t I know NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE waiting!!!! all you ppl who know, appreciate your beautiful blessing…..

42. Mark says:

So uh, can I get one of these neat little packages, or even just the poster, if I haven’t been admitted yet?

8-)

43. Mark says:

8-)

44. Mark says:

8-)

45. DeA says:

lollmaolollollmao…..Richard’13 beaver says MIT not TIM…its a mirror immage

46. comboy says:

@Richard ’13

I just realized you owning two habits, don’t you
    you like taking pictures in front of a mirror
    and waiting extra 10 hours to see if someone catches that

plus script: fond of reading comments from down to top, Adios

Alex from Colton, CA looks like he might be well into his 20’s.

48. Mark says:

8-)

Alright that looks like I have no life and sit here hitting post, but the server was just slacking or something :(

50. Mark says:

8-)

51. Narce says:

^_^” Sorry Mark, but the poster and the Tube are EA only.