I had literally never taken a screen shot until I got to MIT. Seriously. I guess I just never had needed to or something, but once I got here I started taking them all the time, just to remember that day the windchill hit -20, or that time someone said something stupid on gchat and I clearly had to share it with everyone we knew, or to preserve that one crazy coincidence that would never happen again, or whatever. And now that I’m almost at the end of year two here, I have a whole portfolio of hilarious moments forever preserved from the exact second they happened.
So if you really want an unedited look at what life is like as an MIT student… here is cross section of my semester in screen shots.
1) I hit exactly $0.00 on my TechCash account. Do you realize how hard this is? This is like actually using up all the change in your wallet before you can accumulate any more. This just does not happen.
2) There were once only 24 HOURS UNTIL RING PREMIERE.
3) Three of our Theta freshmen discovered gchat emoticons… and then got half the chapter to start sending me lobsters, after they got a hold of my laptop and started sending even more lobsters out to other people from my gmail. Fun fact: you can only have 5 gchat windows open at once on a 13 inch MacBook screen.
4a) My own mother threatened to defriend me on facebook after I posted a TextFromLastNight (about Bill Nye, of all things) as my facebook status. (warning: site is definitely nsfw)
4b) … I was also really busy.
5) For the amount of insane integrating it has saved me in 10.213 (that’s Chemical and Biological Engineering Thermodynamics to you prefrosh), I owe Wolfram Alpha my first 2 and a half children. This screen shot, given the amazing feats Wolfram Alpha has accomplished over the course of this semester, is rather anticlimactic, but apparently I had needed to take it to show someone some calculation for some pset.
6) A nearly lost calculator almost had a grown man in tears… and we all felt his pain.
7) There are the days when the randomness of the email sent out to my sorority’s spam list is just absurd. Sample range from the last few days: Justin Bieber Injuries to Biological Engineering Research Prizes.
8) There was the study break that turned into a let’s-mock-Shannon-because-she-can’t-tell-Asian-ethnicities-apart break, which was great.
9) I was skyping my friend Marianna (one of the lobster freshmen) while she was at home over IAP, and for some reason our connection froze, then restarted, then froze again. And I was left with this lovely face stuck on my screen.
10) But time to post this entry and get back to ordering the Indian food I have open in another tab. Peace out, cub scouts.