MIT student blogger Bryan O. '07

No Flip Flops by Bryan

The original title of this entry was "YakTrax."

So how does a boy from Texas survive the oftentimes harsh winters of Massachusetts?

With flip flops of course!

Try again.

While I must say that flip flops are my shoeware of choice, even I have to give in at some point and start wearing shoes and socks.

To get ready for the winter, this week the ARCSAB (Academic Resource Center Student Advisory Board) put on an event called No Flip Flops which was full of pointers on how to survive a winter at MIT.

I must admit that I also learned a lot of new information myself. I learned about the difference between frostbite and frostnip.

I learned a bit about winter fashion, and how to dress appropriately. I was the example of what not to do ie I was wearing board shorts, flip flops, and a tshirt. There’s actually a lot to take into consideration when you’re getting dressed in the winter. Layering is key, but you don’t want to over or underdo it either.

I also learned about YakTrax, and if you’ve never heard of them, don’t feel bad. I learned about them on Monday myself.

We also taught the freshmen about the best ways to get around when it’s snowing outside. These solutions ranged from Saferide to the MIT underground tunnel system.

As far as winter thus far, it hasn’t really dropped down that low, and not much snow has fallen either. However, I’m kinda excited for the snow because that means snow football and more occasions for hot cocoa?

Anyone from warmer climates have any other questions on what it’s like to spend a winter here?

Pictures! (a little late)

Dan and Rebecca setting up for the event.

Rebecca gives pointers on how to eat healthy for the winter.

Mark and Tim give a few pointers on winter safety.

11 responses to “No Flip Flops”

1. James says:

Ahh, you have brought back warm memories, Bryan. Actually, they are rather cold. When I lived in a climate that actually got snow, I played snow football with my neighbors. We had to adjust the rules to accomodate the difficulty in movement that came with being dressed for the cold. Our most notable rule change was that incomplete passes did not exist. They became fumbles instead. It certainly was fun.

2. nehalita says:

living in a city where everyone break’s out the hot cocoa and snow jackets at around 69 degrees F [Very south, FLORIDA], “cold” weather is absolutely foreign to me… so what was the MOST helpful thing you learned to survive the great winter?

3. Mike says:

I’m in PA and enjoy the cold; every snow day is a snow football game. If I get it, I will have to ask the upper classmen in my dorm where the best games are raspberry

4. keegan says:

The most snow I have seen on the ground at one time is about two or three inches. I might freak when I see how it is up there. If I get in, I definitely will enjoy the snow as much as I can. I like the football idea too.

5. Other Sam says:

God, I hate the new food guide pyramid. It is so dumb. The other one may have had you eating, like, 6000 calories a day, but at least it was shaped like a pyramid–like, you put the bigger “blocks” on the bottom and work your way up to the small blocks. That’s how you make a pyramid of bricks, people, oranges, etc… A pyramid is not made up of freaking rainbow colored scalene triangles stacked against each other. Duh. How is your pyramid going to stand up. And why are there, like, 12 of them? ARGH.

Otherwise, “cool” entry.

6. Jared says:

*Cool* entry Bryan. I’m from California, so I’ve been braving the icy winter of *gasp!* 40 degrees! (Note that the 40 degrees is the LOW temperature. Highs generally range in the low 50’s/high 40’s-ish)

I’ve never actually lived for a long period of time in a place where it snows, so MIT would be a new experience. However, I think it’d be more fun that the milder climates out west.

For some reason though, I don’t think t-shirt and hoodie will cover it at Tech. wink

-Jared

7. Joe says:

I can’t imagine what it’s like to live in a snow area….I’ve lived in warm places my whole life (San Diego CA, Portugal, and Lebanon). The thought is a little scary, considering that I start feeling really cold when it’s about 50

8. debs says:

Winter sounds scary! I come from Zimbabwe (yes, deepest darkest Africa) and so snow is a foreign thing.

i didn’t realise they actually taught you how to survive winter….that makes it sound even worse!

9. I, the Wisconsinite, laugh at all of you! And by the way, Bryan, I managed to hold out on my flip flops until it started snowing about two or three weeks ago, and still slip into them upon occasion in combination with toe socks.

Thus, assuming I survive the apprehension /and/ get accepted, I will so pwn all you southerners.

10. Star Simpson says:

I’m from Hawaii, and I can count: I’ve seen snow up-close and personal a total of 11 times.

It’s pretty cool. Like in Cool Runnings, my friends and I used to find iced-over freezers and throw the ice from its walls at each other, to pretend it was snowing.

11. Stacey says:

I’m from Portland, OR, and it seems like we might be north enough for it to snow, but it doesn’t :-(

It pretty much stays 37 degrees all winter. When there’s a chance of snow, it’s huge news on the news channels.

Until then, I will remember the ice storm we got two years ago that closed down school for a week. Yay.