Retreat! Retreat! by Melis A. '08

24 wonderful hours of sister-time in the MIT mansion!

I just returned from a retreat for my sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. We spent the past 24 hours at the Endicott House , an MIT owned mansion in a Boston suburb used for conferences. It was amazing to hang out with my sisters in such a beautiful setting, surrounded by antiques and eating meals prepared by a gourmet chef.

The retreat was a mix of bonding and business. Sororities at MIT are quite large, with about 80-100 members, so it is generally difficult to schedule events that everyone can attend. The turn-out was amazing, considering we’re a month into the term and the first round of exams have started, yet about 70 girls attended. Some activities included scavenger hunts, improv skits (apparently I’m hard to make fun of? Surely I provide plenty of material on this blog), event planning, and discussions.

This upcoming week, October 2 – October 8, is Domestic Violence Awareness week, so also took time to prepare for our philanthropic event. All week, we will be selling carnations and irises to raise money for the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, which “provides free, culturally sensitive, age-appropriate services to rape survivors and/or their families from Cambridge, Boston and other cities and towns within the Rte 128 belt.” Everyone on campus should buy some flowers for their friends while supporting a great cause!

Our room! And my roommate!

The hallway to our second room and bathroom. Keepin’ it classy.

2 responses to “Retreat! Retreat!”

1. Angela says:

It looks like a lot of fun, and I love your rooms. Reminds me of a hotel actually. I saw on your profile that you are a pre-med student at MIT. Since I’m thinking about going into medicine, can you tell me what it is like?

2. Melis says:

Hi Angela,

I actually wrote about being pre-med at MIT before, here’s a link to my entry:
    http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/learning/majors_minors/so_you_think_you_want_to_be_a.shtml

Feel free to ask any specific questions that you might have.