MIT student blogger Kirsten L. '15

A White Christmas by Kirsten L. '15

Escaping Boston to go to more snow

My family isn’t really into traditions. We don’t celebrate many holidays because a lot of our extended family doesn’t live within a drivable distance. However, the one tradition that my family does have is our annual ski trip over winter break.

This year was no exception, so my family packed up our winter clothing and headed to Colorado to spend a week in the snowy mountains.
(I always find it funny that I look forward to going home over break to escape the Boston weather, but spend half of the break in arguably worse weather than the Boston weather.)

This winter break has been an actual break for me this year- it seems like almost every other holiday is cluttered with things I said I’d do during the semester and didn’t have time to do. But with things lining up now, I can finally take the time to decompress and enjoy spending time with my family.

I don’t know if there are that many sensations in the world that can compare to skiing. When you’re on the slope, it’s just you and the mountain. You point your skis down the hill and let gravity help you on your way. As you turn down the hill, you feel like you’re floating. It’s honestly this magical sensation. If you’ve never been before, I really suggest trying it once in your lifetime!

Although I can’t take you all skiing with me, I did take some photos so I could share the experience.

Being out here reminded me that the world is a beautiful place. It’s easy to forget that when you’re stuck in your bubble at home or at MIT.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing holiday. Moxie, my ski instructor Mary’s cheagle (chihuahua beagle) certainly is!
Merry Christmas!!