Skip to content ↓

Does MIT offer transfer credit?

If you’re admitted, you can expect to receive credit for subjects of study that are substantively equivalent to corresponding MIT subjects. If your academic record doesn’t appear to merit credit in a certain subject, you may be allowed to demonstrate that you’re entitled to such credit by passing an Advanced Standing Examination.

You can compare the courses offered at your institution to those offered at MIT with the MIT Bulletin (course and degree catalog). The bulletin provides a comprehensive description of the Institute’s academic programs.

Transfer students typically lose at least one semester of coursework. Most students enter MIT as sophomores, regardless of the amount of coursework they completed at their previous college(s).

Did you find this article helpful?