Another fun problem by Snively '11

Skip if you don't want to do more physics.

If you liked last night’s dynamics problem, here’s a new and exciting one for you!

30 responses to “Another fun problem”

1. Timur says:

What tablet do you use? I have an old Toshiba M200, looking for a new one… do many kids at MIT use tablets, are they helpful?

2. Alexander says:

These are fun. Keep em coming.

3. Tree says:

Colourful!
    nice problem!
    oh and first?

@Timur
    I actually use a Wacom tablet, not a tablet computer.

My Wacom

As for tablet laptops, they can be incredibly useful. I planned on getting on but they were too expensive and all had integrated graphics cards. I find that my Wacom works great though and in class I just take all of my notes with pencil and notebook.

5. Efolse '11 says:

Isn’t a “D” passing when you’re not a freshman?

I need to study like you. Perhaps those 5.12 equations will come more naturally. raspberry

7. Reena says:

I seriously just like, got excited when I saw “physics” and “problem” in the title of this.

8. XXXXXPPPPP says:

my god. that is confusing.

9. Anon. Troll says:

Just do it in Scheme!

10. Hey Snively,

If i just take that mass out of that tube and keep it ON the tube and then slide it (the mass M), then there will be friction involved in the problem also right?

11. Meagan says:

Yay! Physics is beautiful! Keep posting these, Snively!

12. Ivan says:

@Snively

The Passing video, was that your project or homework for the Digital Poetry class?

The physics problem is nice, luckily there is no Z axis yet.

13. moose says:

awesome post! physics = good, especially when someone walks you through the problem =)
    i wish 8.012 was this colorful…

14. Anna says:

Just wanted to say color is very helpful on the eyes! Not to mention the nice legible handwriting. Thanks a lot

15. Wow…
    I am patiently waiting for the day when physics will make sense.
    AP physics is killing me.

@interested in MIT
    Amen.

17. R.Z.F. says:

Whooo whoooo!! IS this for a course on dynamics or is it a physics mechanics course?

18. marcee says:

@rzf

What is rzf?

19. that’s good but neat resolution would be welcome !

20. Ahana says:

@marcee
    RZF=Riemann Zeta Function

ooh, I saw video lectures of 2.003(oct 07) through OCW…Prof Sarma is so cool!

21. marcee says:

@ahana

okay. have you studied it. i never heard of it in my classes. will you tell me something more about it

22. Ruth '13? says:

This is why I want to go to MIT!
    I really want to drop everything and figure this out right now instead of going to school.

Ahahaha you have to take 2.003. =D

24. Sir Isaac says:

1 pseudo-flaw, could be called a simplicity OCD example:

Kg *(m/s^2) -> Newton

Great work, keep posting.

25. lulu says:

dude, you guys have GOT to learn the lagrange equations in this class.

26. wow i will not be able to do that in my life…

i used to be a straight A student in middle school but now high school comes and i realize that im really just average, not a genius like my family thought. Now I’m happy with a 2.5, but just visiting back this website, remembering how i spent hours on it when i still had hope for getting into MIT, like when I was in 8th grade and a freshaman… Wow.

27. Kyle says:

I am a senior in high school and I’m taking 211 which is my first year of calc based physics. We’re just starting angular velocity and acceleration. I hope one day I will be able to solve problems like this.

28. @ lulu says:

Definitely. It is really interesting, they must have talked about functionals in such a mechanics course. Is there any math course at MIT that is devoted to the study of functionals and calculus of variations? A really good looking course is continuum mechanics (a math course). I really want to learn that stuff, it looks crazy fun.