Dec 14, 2005

Followup To Mailing Disaster

Posted in: Process & Statistics

Hi everyone. I'm so exhausted so this is going to be quick, but I want to thank all of you who had my back today and who wrote in with supportive comments. You guys got me through today - I seriously don't know what I would have done without you. This situation sucked for all of us, and you've been amazing through the whole thing.

I've read every single one of your comments, and I can't answer every question right now, but here are the most popular ones:

What's the deal with calling on Thursday?

We have organized the office to be able to start taking phone calls tomorrow (Thursday, 12/15/05) instead of beginning on Friday (as originally planned). I think you can call next week as well. The number to call is 617-253-4791. We will be able to take calls from 9AM until 4PM EST. Please be aware that there might be some serious hold times. We will all be taking calls - but there are still a lot of you and only a few of us.

Can my parents call?

Usually the answer to this is no. Under the circumstances, we are making an exception. Yes, your parents can call Thursday or Friday, however they will be asked for very specific information about you to make sure they really are your parents. We take privacy very seriously at MIT.

If I haven't gotten a tube yet, should I assume that I have been rejected or deferred?

NO. I almost hate to post this, because I don't want to add false hope to what is already an agonizing wait, but you deserve to know this. I confirmed as of this evening (Wednesday) that admits in at least 2 different states (probably more) have not received their tubes. Please don't ask me to identify the states; I wouldn't feel right doing so without knowing *all* the states that are still owed tubes.

If I've been deferred, what is the deadline to send in supplemental materials?

Get things in by the end of January and they will be seen by your readers. Committee starts in February.

If I was missing a teacher rec would I automatically be deferred?

Not necessarily if there was enough in the application with which to evaluate you. The MyMIT app tracking portlet isn't exactly timely during peak periods, so even if something seemed to update after "it was too late" it likely got to us in time.

Is there really any hope of being selected RA if I've been deferred?

I can think of some EA applicants right now who will absolutely get in RA. So to answer your question: YES! :-)

You are MIT, arguably the greatest technology school in the world! So WHY don't you release decisions online?

Argh. I've been avoiding this question for months, but you deserve an answer, so I will give you one.

As you can hopefully tell from your experience with us, we make this process a very personal one (our application, the blogs, the accessibility of the admissions officers, etc.). We try to connect with you on an individual level as much as possible. Marilee feels that delivering a decision via email is too impersonal, and I wholeheartedly agree with her. Many of you have commented that "most other schools do it this way." I don't need to tell you that MIT is very different from all other schools.

A second issue is privacy. We hear horror stories from "those other schools" where people fake email addresses or hack into friends' accounts. Marilee is very protective of applicants' privacy, and I agree with her on that point as well. Your decision should be personal. No one else should ever have access to it.

Does this mean that MIT will never release decisions online? Absolutely not. When we begin doing so, we will be releasing decisions inside your MyMIT account. Since this account is directly tied to the actual application you submitted when you applied, it would be darn near impossible to fake. And it would allow us to deliver the decision in a much more human way. (Frankly, email is just not very human.)

Straight up - we are indeed trying to ready MyMIT to release decisions online for RA. I have no idea whether the backend will be ready by March. The tech folks have about a million things on their plates, but this is a top priority. When I get the official word either way, you guys will be the first to know.

I HATE THE USPS!!!

To be fair, it was not their fault. This was an internal problem with MIT Mail Services.

What else can you tell us?

Not much, I'm off to bed. But Marilee has a new post for you. Thanks again my friends.

9 am, eh? I must say, I feel worse for the people answering the phones than for myself. Anyway, I will be speaking to one of you guys tomorrow.

Posted by: Sunil on December 14, 2005

Hang in there everybody.

I was deferred, and now I'm all stressed out over finals like the rest of my class.

Enjoy your time in high school! No matter how bad it is now, you'll miss it later!

Posted by: Ruth on December 14, 2005

Hey, I just wanted to thank you guys at MIT for all the hard work you have done, to help correct a problem that wasn't even your fault.

Muchos gracias

T

Posted by: Rizo on December 15, 2005

It's good that the phones will be up tomorrow. Anyway, my suggestion to everyone is to go out to the gas station and buy some sort of treat to eat. Enjoy your treat whether you're accepted, deferred, or denied. It may only relieve your stress for a couple of minutes, but I can personally testify that it's a good idea.

Posted by: Mike W on December 15, 2005

what are you thanking us for!??? after all you've done for us????

NO! THANK YOU!!!!!

Posted by: April (still waiting) on December 15, 2005

You are amazing... hmm... yay for CA I get the call when the rest of you are already at school.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2005

woohoo!

grin Thanks, Ben!

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2005

I've already got that number programmed into my cell to call during lunch. I'm excited! :-D

Can you get someone to record themselves telling math jokes and then play those jokes when we're on hold? A good math joke's a great way to pass the time.

Posted by: Clark Poland on December 15, 2005

Thank you for taking the time to post these updates and for the effort to make decisions available by phone.

Posted by: Frank on December 15, 2005

How can Newton die a virgin if he was the father of calculus?

(I'm spending way too much time stalking blogs)

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2005

Oh gosh... I can call at 6am. Do I really want to?

I also wanted to say a big thanks to Ben and all the admissions staff for just keeping us updated. I can't even begin to describe how anxious I would be getting if I hadn't known that there are other people in the same boat as me. Just... thank you so much for all your hard work.

Posted by: SH on December 15, 2005

Have I mentioned you're fabulous and I'm utterly addicted to this blog?

Posted by: Another Rhody on December 15, 2005

I posted a mean comment before and I would just like to apologize for my rash and inappropriate comment. I am just extremely frustrated and I took it out on you/MIT. It was wrong. I realize that you really truly care about what happened and care about all of us in general.

Thank you for everything you've done.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2005

No, thank YOU, all of you guys. You guys are wonderful for doing this, you know that? I agree with what Marilee posted- you guys must have gone through ten times the agony that we may have felt during the wait. I'm sorry.

And you guys must have worked so hard tonight to push this phone service up a day- I'm truly grateful; it really shows how much you guys care. I'll be sure to sing you guys a song over the phone tomorrow, lol.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Ange on December 15, 2005

No tube and no computer access make Ben something something.

On a more serious note I agree about the email issue in how it is relatively insecure.

I have done nothing but mind numbing work these past three and a half years and this delay is making me crack at the seams, but if I get in all those nights of nothing but work will pay off.

Posted by: Ben C. (Bronx Sci) on December 15, 2005

oh so what information do we need when we call?

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2005

The usual, Name, birthday, ssn, bankacount... all the stuff you put in MyMit...

Posted by: Rizo on December 15, 2005

bank account? I put that in?

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2005

"I can think of some EA applicants right now who will absolutely get in RA"

Then why not admit them EA? It's not removing spots from anyone else as you're already certain they're getting in. I'll take the answer to this one at a less busy time, but that just seems like a bit of a tease.

Thanks for your apology. I'm sure many people are frustrated right now, and might vent, as is natural, but will eventually appreciate your apology.

Meanwhile, thanks for everything.

Posted by: Fred on December 15, 2005

i've been thinking..i've waited all this time...i dont' think i'll call til my mail laidy comes tomorrow...

im hungry

sry random...but i am!

Those of you that are still at school, I think I can say I've got it worse. My school exempts seniors from exams if they have a 90 average in the class, so I've been sitting at home rapidly refreshing the blogs all day, hoping for some word from Tennessee applicants.

Ben - I have a request for people who were deferred (or are not yet accepted):

Could you outline for us just what you will take for supplementary information, deadlines for when it has to be in, all that good stuff.

I promised myself I wouldn't second-guess my essay topic, but there are still plenty of other things that I could add to my application.

Thanks for everything that you guys do, and all of your concern for our sanity,

Evan

Posted by: Evan on December 15, 2005

awright..i'm happy..i'll definately know by tomorw...i have an oreo and a good book..bed time...good luck pples!

and thanks again MIT for everything! you've made my day!

It's in my cell! calling right after early morning finals (hope i don't get caught *gasp*). No offense to anyone, but I'm still suprised ya'll accepted a person who still has no control over his life and must have someone watch over him constantly (wouldn't call that much of leadership)(reference to the babysitter) but he may just be a CHILD genius. OH well, whatever floats your boat. float...float.

Posted by: Charles on December 15, 2005

Where but MIT would you find a staff that would stay up until midnight trying to fix a problem they didn't cause? The efforts of everyone in Marilee's office, not least of which Marilee herself, goes to prove that in addition to being a dynamic academic powerhouse, MIT is, above all, a very human place.

I send my deepest thanks for your labors.

-Alexandre

Posted by: Alexandre on December 15, 2005

Im pretty sure one of the two states is Washington! Since no one from CC or here said they got admitted in WA

Posted by: AKi on December 15, 2005

and the other one is probably NOT nj...*groan*

ben, we seriously appreciate everything you do

it's not your fault at all

but still, you're being soooo accomodating

yay go ben go ben

Posted by: ^^ on December 15, 2005

Where in WA are you from, Aki?

Posted by: Jeena on December 15, 2005

Mercer Island. How bout u Jeena?

Posted by: Aki on December 15, 2005

Vancouver.

good luck with your decision!

Posted by: Jeena on December 15, 2005

you too!

Posted by: Aki on December 15, 2005

Thank you so much!

Posted by: Grace on December 15, 2005

Wow, this situation has really escalated to the point of disaster. I just want all the admissions officers to know that no matter what, we're all here to support you. And remember to drink lots of water tomorrow! No doubt you'll be getting a lot of calls. And as a RA-er, I have a keen interest in this "decision in MyMIT for RA" thing. wink

Anyhow, I (along with everyone else, for sure) just hope that this doesn't happen again. I think this was just several unfortunate and untimely circumstances coming together to become one big catastrophe. I hope that people will calm down and lighten up. It's not the end of the world. Really.

Posted by: Teck Lee on December 15, 2005

What an awful way for the other 9 of us out of 12 (or more) to find out we've been deferred/rejected.... sigh. I'm glad it wasn't MIT admissions' fault. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Posted by: anon on December 15, 2005

it's actually 11 out of 12.... so I guess 9 or more is right... darn it you stole my name... I was the only Anon until you.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2005

Dear Ben,

Dude, I must say you're amazing. Apologizing for something that wasn't even your fault, taking the slack for it. Thanks for everything you've done, really. I have the number programmed in my cell under "Truth" (hehe) and I plan to call tomorrow after my Chem AP final. (Seriously, I hate that my school has finals THIS week....college decisions week. It's really hard to think about anything besides that letter). I'm out here in Cali, and I'm pretty sure I already know what the decision on me is, but I still have some hope. Hey, maybe I'll get to talk to you tomorrow? That'd be awesome. Good luck to you and please don't feel badly. Good luck to all of you other EA'ers and congrats to all the accepted students.

Posted by: Sohaib Raihan on December 15, 2005

Uhmm, if I know of other people who got accepted in my state, then does that mean I've been deferred/rejected? Because you said some STATES didn't get their tubes.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 15, 2005

The way the admissions officers have handled this unfortunate situation has only heightened my supreme desire to attend MIT. You are all such amazing individuals, and I feel terribly guilty that tomorrow morning I will be forcing you to undertake the difficult task of telling me the bad news over the phone (as it seems likely to be), but it is truly necessary that I find out tomorrow; my counselors need to be informed tomorrow if I am going to expand my number of applications. Thank you so much for caring, and if I am deferred, well, you have certainly not heard the last from me.

Posted by: Angela on December 15, 2005

First of all, I'd like to thank Marilee, Ben, Matt, and the rest of the admissions staff for all their hard work. Little anecdote: my transcript got lost in the mail (or something), but I kept waiting to see if it would reach MIT. By the time selection began, I was starting to get really freaked out. My counselor actually managed to call and fax my transcript over on a selection day. I was honestly amazed; I thought they'd be too busy to do something like that for one applicant, but I was completely wrong about that. Of course, I might've already gotten deferred by then... oh well.

The funny thing is, I thought that decisions would arrive on the 15th. Somebody asked me on Monday if I was accepted to MIT, and I had no idea what he was talking about!

On another note, nobody at my school's gotten any word from MIT yet. I'm in the Dallas area, by the way. Somebody at another school in my district got a tube, but I haven't heard anything else.

I'm not really sure if I'll call... I don't want to spoil the surprise... but by the time I get home, it'll be too late... decisions, decisions! I'll figure something out, it's definitely not as hard as picking applicants to accept!

I'm not too worried, even if I end up being deferred. I can probably make at least one of my dream schools, and if not... being a UT Longhorn isn't all that bad. Again, thanks to all of you over there in admissions for all your hard work, and good luck to everybody else!

Posted by: Eric on December 15, 2005

YOU STUDENTS OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. MIT ADMISSIONS OFFICERS HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE HUMANE, KINDEST, UNDERSTANDING GROUP OF OFFICERS THAT I'VE EVER SEEN. THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO KEEP A BLOG. THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO TELL YOU EVERY SINGLE THING THAT THEY'RE DOING. FUCK, THEY DEFINITELY DIDN'T HAVE TO TELL YOU ABOUT THE WHOLE "TUBE FIRST, LETTER SECOND" ORDEAL. BUT THEY DID. WHY??? BECAUSE THEY VALUE HONESTY AND INTEGRITY AND THEY TRULY CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FEELINGS. THEY HAVE CONTINUOUSLY PUT YOU AS THEIR TOP PRIORITY AND SOMETIMES I THINK EVEN TO THE EXTENT OF UNDERMINING THEIR OWN AUTHORITY. HOW MANY ADMISSIONS OFFICERS FROM OTHER UNIVERSITIES DO YOU KNOW ARE WILLING TO DO ALL THAT?

SO BACK OFF, GUYS. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE KINDNESS OF THESE FOLKS. THEY OWE YOU NOTHING AND THEY HAVE NOTHING TO BE SORRY ABOUT. SO STOP IT WITH POINTING THE FIGURE AT THE ADMISSIONS PEOPLE. IT JUST SHOWS HOW IMMATURE, UNRESILIENT, AND FRAGILE YOU ARE. THOSE QUALITIES WILL DEFINITELY NOT GET YOU INTO MIT OR ANYWHERE ELSE IN LIFE.

SO IF YOU CAN'T EVEN HANDLE THIS LITTLE DEVIATION FROM THE NORM, THIS LITTLE BUMP ALONG THE ROAD, THEN PERHAPS YOU SHOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT COMING TO MIT.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2005

RIGHT ON ANONYMOUS! Thats the wisest thing anyone have said over the past few days. VERY INSPERATIONAL!

Anyways, I know people are sort frustrated and stressed. But think about it. The decisions are already made. There really isn't much to be frustrated.

Just wait. Chill out and wait for the tube to come to the right person.

Posted by: Aki on December 15, 2005

HI Ben. I have to be honest that after months of hard work and anticipation, this was not some pleesant news.(i'm now hopeing for a defer letter over decline...) i'm sure you've heard lots of disappointment by now, but i also want to let you know that (i can only speak for myself) i am no where near angry or outraged. As marilee said, "Everybody makes mistakes." and this mistake wasn't even yours. Don't be harsh on yourself. I can only imagine how frustrated you are right now after working endlessly for weeks only to find all the bitterness directed towards you and your collegues.

we will get through this together! thanks ben! =)

Posted by: Valerie W on December 15, 2005

for all of us non-breathing ppl waiting to jam the phone lines, here's a lil somethin to hopefully cheer us up!

http://laura.mitblogs.com/archives/2005/12/yay_a_hack.html

Posted by: Jeff on December 15, 2005

you guys rock ben. never let anyone tell you different. smile

Posted by: Merudh on December 15, 2005

I don't want to be mean or insulting in any way, but something bothers me.

Ben wrote,

"Is there really any hope of being selected RA if I've been deferred?

I can think of some EA applicants right now who will absolutely get in RA."

To me, this just sounds like a way of getting around MIT's own "30% of class admitted EA" rule. If you know you're going to accept them anyway, why make them agonize about it for another three months? If you're finding people you want to accept, then maybe the 30% rule is flawed.

Posted by: likely deferred on December 15, 2005

Hi Ben.

First off, I'd like to thank you, Matt, Bryan and Marilee. You've done awesome work.

I wholeheartedly agree with ANONYMOUS.

Take me, for example, before I got to know of MIT blogs I new nothing about applying to US schools; all I had were a bunch of strange forms and parents bugging me to 'produce a good application'.

I tell you, even if I do not make it to MIT I'm sure I'll make it to some of the other colleges that I've applied to.

This wouldn't be possible if it were not for you, Matt and Bryan. MIT-student or not, I'll have to meet you all and thank you personally.

I know for a fact that you guys are doing awesome work....no matter what unfortunate thing that happens(ed).

Again, thank you.

Cheers!

Posted by: Edward on December 15, 2005

I was a little too shocked and dejected to add my two cents yesterday, but I just wanted to say that I think all of you at MIT Admissions have handled the situation admirably and that you deserve mad props for it. I think someone else mentioned this earlier, but decisions weren't scheduled to come out until today anyway, and Yale's actually not releasing decisions until tomorrow evening. You guys deserve a lot of credit for getting them out early and for dealing with this situation in the best possible manner. =)

Posted by: Catherine on December 15, 2005

I called MIT this morning - they are open. Good luck to you all.

Most unfortunately, my application was denied outright. I lost this fight. I'll live to fight another.

Congratulations to the accept

Deferred! Whew, at least it isn't rejection... I called at 9 on the dot wink! Of course, the phone system wasn't turned on until 9:20 so Ben probably got about 10 missed calls from me alone! When/If I get my deferral letter, I'll scan it and put it online for everyone to ogle at, well, those accepted at least.

Posted by: Chad Rockey on December 15, 2005

I'm sry alexandre!

does your MyMIT acct. really close if you are denied? oh please no...no no no non no

i'm not going to call unless there isn't anything in my mail box today

I'm constantly amazed to see how much you, Matt, Nance, and the other admissions officers care about applicants. The hours and energy you put into considering our applications and checking up on us...all I can say is wow.

Oh, and even though I was very nervous waiting for my decision, I am not angry about the mail mixup. Things do accidentally happen, and I'm just so grateful to you and the admissions committee for doing everything you can to find out what was wrong.

Congratulations to all admits! For me, I have another three months of anticipation...

Posted by: Evelyn on December 15, 2005

I know you're busy and stressed and hectic, but here's a great gigantic (and platonic, of course :-D) hug from me!!!

I called this morning expecting the worst, but got good news!

Am I allowed to giggle like an teenaged-anime girl?

Posted by: Daniel Suo on December 15, 2005

you got admitted!!!!

CONGRATS!!

Well, I called and was deferred... but I suppose that's better than being rejected. I'm a little disappointed, though, because now I (along with about 2000 others) have to wait another 3 months to hear from my dream school. Oh, well- maybe MIT will decide that all 2000 of us are great people and admit us all grin

Posted by: Zach on December 15, 2005

wouldn't that be fantastic?

2.25 hrs til mail comes

1.75 hrs

Thanks for taking calls today. You guys are awesome smile

Posted by: Mia on December 15, 2005

i got my letter today

its a deferral

there's still hope to many of you...

I got in today...!!!

Posted by: manuel on December 15, 2005

How about this? My son applied to MIT EA, and Johns Hopkins Bio Mechanical Engineering ED. He hoped he would get denied by the BME program and accepted to JHU non-binding. That would give him a chance to apply to and consider other schools.

Yesterday, he came home, read the blogs, came to the realization he wasn't getting into MIT EA, looked at the pile of unfinished apps on his desk, and promptly went to sleep.

This morning, the MIT deferral letter came, and ten minutes later, so did an email from JHU that he was accepted to the BME program.

One door closes, another opens. Good luck to all and thanx to the admissions staff for everything.

Posted by: To JHU he goes on December 15, 2005

question

if we get deferred can we just like

do our entire application over?

cause mine was really bad.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2005

Manuel -

Congratulations!!

which State are you from?

Posted by: an anxious mom on December 15, 2005

Deferr

Posted by: dyzzy on December 15, 2005

I called this morning and I got in! (Florida!)

Posted by: super excited! on December 15, 2005

Thanks, Ben for letting everybody know. I really appreciate how helpful and caring you've been every step of the college admissions.

Posted by: shen on December 15, 2005

still waiting... not calling unless there's nothing on the mail at 3 pm!

Posted by: Omar Fernandez on December 15, 2005

i'm w/ you dyzzy..

do they send tubes to the RA applicants?

CUZ I WANT ONE!!

i like confetti ^_^

Posted by: April (no longer waiting but deferred) on December 15, 2005

course i know i won't be getting one EA...mine was a letter...not phone

I know about 12% of students were admitted. What percentage of applicants were deferred? Denied? Thank you!

Posted by: SamanthaJ on December 15, 2005

I think it was about 7% denied.

Anyhow, called and got my deferral officially. Whoo! I feel GOOD, actually... because I actually know now.

Thanks to all who are now taking a ton of calls.

Posted by: BT on December 15, 2005

Does anybody in Hawaii get the tube? My son is applying for MIT EA. We got nothing.

Posted by: raindrop on December 15, 2005

I still haven't received my tube...I learned that it could be somewhere in North Carolina. Hm.

All that agonizing...well I'm thrilled. GOOD LUCK to those who still don't know!

Daniel Suo, where do you live?

It is all very nice that everyone here is supporting MIT admissions staff, but I believe that the blame ultimately lies with them.

It was their decision to "reward" the acceptees by sending them special packages (tubes) and snub the rejectees and deferees by sending them small envelopes. And of course packages and envelopes will take different amount of time to arrive. You don't need to be in MIT to figure that out.

What happened this year in EA I simply see as disrespect, intentional or unintentional, for the non-accepted applicants. Tubes with confetti?! For heaven's sake, isn't an acceptance already good enough and a rejection bad enough that the notification has to be so different? Other universities send envelopes - all envelopes - to everyone. At least this shows some consideration for the feeling of the applicants who have worked so hard and put so much effort into applying.

I was disappointed in the way that MIT handled this. I expected better.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2005

Woot! Deferred! Ben, would you mind telling us about what supplemental material we may send, or what we can change in our applications?

T

Posted by: Rizo on December 15, 2005

Anonymous, it's pretty sad to get jealous over confetti.

Maybe from now on, defers/denys should come with a "get well soon" card and a lollipop. Of course, then instead of instilling a bit of cheer, people would take it as cruel sarcasm...

Posted by: BT on December 15, 2005

Thanks for organizing it so that calls started on Thursday. I still haven't gotten my letter, but I found out about my deferral by calling. It was nice to know a day early, before my Government mid-term. Thanks.

Posted by: Gabby on December 15, 2005

Deferred. Ah well, just gotta keep working.

I personally found it slightly amusing how excited the person that told me sound. I know it wasn't trying to be mean, and I didn't take it badly, it just wasn't quite what I expected. smile

Feeling much better now also, it's the 'knowing but not really knowing' that got to me. wink

Posted by: me? on December 15, 2005

Gabby,

You are having mid-terms now? Tomorrow is our last day of the semester so the last of the semester exams are tomorrow. Are you in a Northern school?

Posted by: Bryan on December 15, 2005

**sounded

Sorry, little things like that bother me unless they're fixed. smile

Posted by: me? on December 15, 2005

I have decided not to abuse the generous offer from MIT adimmision office to make the call as a parent. My son will have another final test, AP US history tomorrow. He acted very calm toward the chaotic mail problem. I checked his application, and found he didn't put his VP position on his Math team in his EA application. Is leadership really important?

Ben, reading your blog has been one of the things that made me fall in love with MIT. Don't stop.

I'm not mad about the mail thing, but it was upsetting. I called today to confirm my deferral. It was hard, but I've come to accept that my best just isn't good enough.

After reading about how you guys don't want to do online decisions because of security, I was shocked at how INsecure the whole phone decision thing was. All I had to do was give my last name and confirm (agree) that the other info he had for me was correct.

Posted by: Hamster on December 15, 2005

I'd like to echo the sentiment that the mailing mix-up is no big deal. That doesn't change the decisions, and a couple of days of waiting isn't the end of the world.

I remember reading that due to the record number of applications, EA rejections were up this year. I don't suppose you can release the numbers on that yet? I can't be the only deferral who would like a better idea of where he stands at this point.

Also, great blog -- it's so nice to see the people behind the process.

Posted by: TC on December 15, 2005

I appreciate that the admissions staff have acknowledged the problem and been very open about the whole process. Though I'm still anxiously looking forward to receiving word from MIT, I can understand the frustration at the other end of the process.

Also, I agree that releasing this information through MyMIT would be ideal. It is faster, more reliable, and far more secure. Any number of a large group of people have access to physical mail between sender and recipient.

Thank you for all the time you've invested in us.

Posted by: Sasha on December 15, 2005

Ben, I sent you an email privately.

Posted by: Brian McDermott on December 15, 2005

Hi Mr. Jones;

I got my answer this afternoon from MIT. I was deffered. Is there still any chance for me to get to MIT. I will be happy if you answer this mail on the page as well as to my personal email

Thanks in advance for your devotion.

Posted by: Borna on December 15, 2005

Mr. Jones what is your personal Email? I need to send a private Email to you?

Thanks

Posted by: Borna on December 15, 2005

hey ben!!

I was actually one of the luckier ones that got the tube on monday...I had no idea there was any problem with the mail until one of my friends didn't get a letter or anything...I feel really bad for all the kids who had to wait, but I also think it was completely out of your control once it left the office on Friday. I want to thank you for making the process as humane as you could.

I don't usually post on these blogs and stuff but I had a quick question...

Do u remember applications? I'm sure you read through hundreds, but for instance, if I told you my name, what my essays were like, etc, would you be like Oh, that kid? I'm curious to hear your thoughts/why I was admitted if its a yes. If no, or if you don't feel like it, that's cool too. I'll probably meet you eventually when I head up there later this year. heheh smile BOSTONNNNNNN

Posted by: Mike H on December 15, 2005

I called today! And I got deferred! I was so relieved, I was smiling.

Just knowing brightened up my day 100%. Thank you, MIT, for allowing us to call today instead of tomorrow!

The woman on the phone was nice, as well. She answered my questions about supplemental information and handled the call very well.

If I said anything mean or angry before, I was just stressed out. I haven't been sleeping enough, but I can finally SLEEP!!! HOORAY!!!

Posted by: Rose on December 15, 2005

To the people asking for hawaii...

im almost sure tubes have not get there yet.. i live in puerto rico, i called today and got in.but i haven't recieved my tube.

Posted by: manuel on December 15, 2005

i hope california is one of the two...

(it is farthest after all, isn't it?)

Posted by: Steven Lu on December 15, 2005

I didn't call today, although I should have. I'd rather pick up my deferral by mail though. I agree with you guys. I think an envelope is a much better way to be rejected. In my opinion it's more private and more humane. When I came to the realization that I wasn't going to get in, at first I was pretty upset. Three months of people talking about you behind your back, "hey, did you hear he didn't get into MIT? Wow, I never thought he was that smart anyway." At least, I hope no one will be that mean. But then I got over it. Especially comforting was a song by The Wallflowers called "How Far You've Come." On top of being a great song, it strangely relates to the pain of being rejected (although I think it was meant to be a love song). My favorite part is:

"Sometimes a high wall is just a wall

Sometimes it's only there to make sure you feel small

Or maybe there to save you

From the depths of a much deeper fall"

Well, there's my two cents. Good luck to the rest of you guys on your RD.

Posted by: Doug on December 15, 2005

so, now mail yet again. Is it possible that Ohio is one of the states that hasnt recieved any acceptances? I know of only three people that applied form around my area, not to say there aren't more, but one was deferred, and the other, like myself, hasn't heard anything. If there is anyone out there from Ohio that has been accepted, please drop a post to try to clear the air. Other than that, here's to another night of crossing my fingers, avoiding ladders and broken mirrors!!!

Posted by: Jake on December 15, 2005

[quote from post]

I can think of some EA applicants right now who will absolutely get in RA. So to answer your question: YES! grin

I'm sorry, but this question really messed me up. Why not accept them early then?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2005

I wish I had seen this last night so I could have called today, as it is I'm still waiting and hoping.

And thank you for making this as painless as possible.

Posted by: Reeve on December 15, 2005

I don't know if I am accepted, deferred, or rejected yet, but after reading the recent MIT blogs I want to attend MIT more than ever. MIT feels like family now: open, honest, compassionate, and human. I hope you all get some rest, knowing that through your struggles this week you've proven that you care about each of us...those accepted, deferred, and rejected. Sleep well and b-r-e-a-t-h-e.

Posted by: Liz on December 15, 2005

To anonymous,

I know how frustrating it must be to hear that some will get in regular but couldn't get in early. But the reality is, there just isn't enough spaces because so many people are so qualified and talented that the smallest factor makes a difference. But you know, if you were destined to get in, you will in APril, it's just a matter of time! So good luck and don't give up or get upset. Think about it, getting deferred didn't hurt you in any way, now you are in the same status as a RA.

Posted by: boston on December 15, 2005

I feel like a complete idiot right now, but what is the address for the admissions office? i need to know where i should send my supplemental stuff. Also, the deadline is January 1st right? Any answers are appreciated!

Posted by: SamF on December 15, 2005

I think we all need to step back and chill out a bit. Being deferred or rejected isn't a big deal like the admissions officers said. If you were deferred (like I was), there's always RD! And there are plenty of fine schools out there!

Sorry, I just feel so bubbly right now. I just found out one of the presents my boyfriend is giving me for Christmas. A RAM necklace - and he made it, too! So sweet.

I hope everyone who got a sad letter has something nice to come home to or to cancel out any negative energy they have.

Once again, thank you, MIT, for letting us call today! I'll get my supplement info in and I'll be set for RD.

Posted by: Rose on December 15, 2005

Oh my God. "How far you've come" by the wallflowers is the PERFECT song for the deferred/rejected.

So is "Video" by India Arie and "Everything's not Lost" by Coldplay and ...um yeah. grin

Posted by: Christina on December 15, 2005

Got my deferral letter yesterday. At the cost of 80 cents, it's taken only 5 days (time difference considered) for the letter to travel 12000+km, USPS isn't that bad after all.

Starting to work on other applications. This might have given me a chance to turn down HYSP to go to MIT through RD grin

Take care and best wishes to all of you for the holiday season!

Posted by: inzim on December 15, 2005

Eek! All day I've been contemplating, "Do I call, or do I not?" (If it wasn't winter, I'd be plucking daisies.) Finally, I decided not to. And now, my mom and I have decided not to even check the mail until my dad returns from out-of-town on Sunday... because I'm too nervous to find out!

...But at the same time, I really want to know! *sigh* Maybe I'll just ponder some more.

Congrats to those who got in, and good luck for RD to those who got deferred, and for those who were denied to get into other spectacular places. smile

Posted by: Ankita on December 15, 2005

*sprinkles more happiness on less aggravated people*

(or should i sprinkle donuts? people seem to like carbs in stressful times... i know i do!!)

Yay holiday season!

[I know these posts seem random, but im destressing right now, so bear with me raspberry]

Posted by: Justine on December 15, 2005

well I hope Washington is one of the states, but I bet they are Hawaii and Alaska. No one in Washington has received anything and I hope at least someone from my state gets in, even if it isn't me. I know someone from Idaho got something two days ago though, so oh well.

Posted by: ccaleb on December 15, 2005

Earlier today, I posted something to the effect of "I called today...I was denied. I lost this fight; I'll live to fight another...Good luck to the rest." That turned out to be essentially true except for the part about my being denied, and the part about my losing this fight.

I called in this morning, and had a dialog that went something like this.

Me: Good morning. I'm calling to check my admission status.

Officer: ...Your status?

Me: Yes...the decision.

After checking my identification

Officer: Unfortunately, we could not offer you admission. The competition was very tight this year.

Me: So I was denied and not deferred?

Officer: Yes, you were denied.

After telling all my friends that I had been rejected, and receiving very comforting replies, I went home. It so happened that my mother had also called MIT, and learned that I had been deferred.

Obviously, I called Cambridge again, and learned that this second decision was the correct one.

I want to be clear: Marilee and Ben have been so supportive, and their statements have been so genuine, that I feel absolutely no anger against MIT or the admissions office. But between the mail screw-up and now this fiasco, I can't help but feel somewhat betrayed. I'm not sure who, if anyone, is to blame, but I hope there's a special place in hell for that lady I talked to this morning (JK).

Thanks to all of you for your support - especially April, who tactfully responded to my "rejection" earlier.

I suppose this goes to show that miracles do happen. At the very least, the support I received, coupled with my happiness to be deferred - when I previously would have been unaffected by the defferal - is a good outcome. They say that all's well that end's well. I'm so happy I could spit! smile

Good luck to you all; God bless the admissions office (minus that lady I talked to this morning, I hope there's a special place in hell for her. JK.)

Alexandre.

Some Florida admits haven't received their tubes either.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2005

I called the admissions office today and found I was deferred (still haven't received the letter, like so many others)... I was surprisingly happy. I know, so I don't have to spaz about it for awhile (the anticipation was awful), and now I have even stronger motivation to work hard on my finals.

Ben, my question is, is there anything in particular you could suggest (unofficially, of course) that us deferrees might add to our applications? I thought I read that an essay on "The Match" might be helpful... anything else? I also can't wait to learn the deadline for that new material to be added...

Posted by: M.D. on December 16, 2005

Hey. I have a quick question. My MyMIT account was locked. Why did this happen?

Posted by: SoCal on December 16, 2005

Everyone assumes that the states have to be far away to explain the delayed tube but logistics problems is more likely. Louisiana is most likely one of the states because New Orleans mail is still being rerouted through three cities. The two day delay for the deferred letters does not matter if any mail would take two weeks to get there anyway. The error is actually benefecial to me because I now have the opportunity to call to find out about my decision earlier than when it would have arrived.

Posted by: Justin on December 16, 2005

oh well, I got deferred! smile

Posted by: Omar Fernandez on December 16, 2005

yay for alexandre!

wow..that had to be hard to think your rejected and then find out it was a deferral..at least it wasn't the other way around! that'd be sooo much worse

this is random..but it's HARD to have my name..i was scanning through all these posts and for some reason people kept saying my name ! ^_-

Posted by: April (no longer waiting but deferred) on December 16, 2005

Very True

Posted by: Alexandre on December 16, 2005

I think I'll say your name a few more times:

April

April

April

April

April

Also, in thought of you, I had both oreos and oreo-flavored klondikes last night. It's a heck of a combination!

-AG

now i feel very popular! lol...does anyone ever call u alex? it takes too long to type alexandre..i am HORRIBLE at typing..

are you serious!!!!

"oreos and oreo-flavored klondikes"

i'm sooooooooo jealous..i just had oreos..oreo ice cream ROCKS

have you ever walked through a grocery store and had pple saying your name every 5 mins? its umm..interesting..and it's worse in April...then it's more like every other minute

Call me what you want, April....

Why do "ppl," April say your name "every five mins" when in December? Obviously, everyone, April, on this website, April, says your name (which is April) every few seconds (particularly the part about "no longer waiting but deferred").

Also, April, I'm looking forward to Christmas oreos, April,...although I noticed they never seem to make double-stuf Christmas ones. I think it has something to do with the red die they use.

Hope all is well.

-AG

What ice cream of oreos do you mean April?? I know H

Posted by: Rafael on December 16, 2005

Alexandre, I'm glad that you didn't end up getting rejected. I really enjoyed your quote "I lost this fight; I'll live to fight another"; it says a lot about your character. It also takes a lot of courage to have made that post after you thought you had been rejected.

I wonder how many people were wrongly told that they were rejected when instead they were deferred. I guess they'll find out the truth soon enough.

Posted by: Lindsay on December 16, 2005

Ben,

I had posted in your blog the other day and did want to get back to you and say "Thank you" for enabling my son to call yesterday. As it turned out he still hadn't received anything in the mail yesterday. He was relieved to have the control of getting the answer via phone instead of again waiting today for the mail.

Posted by: Concerned Parent on December 16, 2005

Hey Ben,

I know you can't really do much, but this is for your information. I got my deferrence letter today in the mail and it has two, count them, two postmark dates. The one on the front is December 10th and the one on the back is December 13th. The postmark on the back does not have postage as the front postmark has $.29 standard postage.

Posted by: Aaron on December 16, 2005

Deferred

It's all good.

Posted by: Dave on December 16, 2005

Thanks for letting us call...it was quite a relief.

Posted by: Mia on December 16, 2005

Deferred. Its not that bad of a word.

Posted by: Jake on December 16, 2005

Well I didn't get anything in the mail, and I got home at 1:15 today PST, so it was too late anyway with the 4 EST cutoff...And both my parents work so they couldn't call. But I am going to wait for the mail because I don't want to find out over the phone.

Posted by: : | on December 16, 2005

I picked up the small white envelope from our mail box yesterday. No tube! I hid the letter last night and put on the kitchen counter this morning so that he can read the letter without having our four eyes watching when he returns from school. I know that by now he has already found out about the letter. I sent an email and hopefully it will comfort him a little.

Here is my letter:

Dear son:

I could not sleep well last night. The two years of your life in US flashed through my mind like movie scenes.

I remember you walking out of Honolulu international airport with a wide smile. You looked so tall and so confident. I remember you frustration at the beginning of your new life. You got F in you History test because you could not even read the questions with your limited English. You had hard time to understand teachers in the class. You had no friends in the new school. You struggled everyday to pull himself together. Still you were confident and didn't let yourself down by immediate difficult and hardship.

I remember we argued about you decision to place out math courses. I felt that you push yourself too hard and you jumped too fast, but you wanted to take AP calculus in you senior year. You determined to make it happen, and you did. You finished two geometry courses, two algebra courses, and three pre-calculus courses in two years.

I remember the effort you made to recite Alan Poe's long poem "Raven". With you determination and strong will, you can overcome any mishap. You have done remarkable job with improving your English. I don't think that I can possibly do what you have done. I am impressed with your excellent writing and creative ideas. Although you didn't get very high SAT verbal score, you got two perfect 800 score in your SAT II subject tests and very high TOEFL score.

I also admire your character. You have taught me a lot since you came back to my life. You do what you believe. You never take a short cut. You are not a grade chaser. You spent countless hours in two youth volunteer programs that you strongly supported while you were taking 6 or 7 classes at time. You played soccer, participated in so many school clubs, and volunteered to help in counselor's office.

Now you are taking 5 difficult AP courses. You refused my suggestions to take some easier AP courses because you enjoy challenge rather than just getting good grades. You make time to do peer tutoring, to work with you Math teammates, and to do Chinese dance. You bring me an award every month from Oahu math meet. I am so proud of your three perfect score awards.

You may not have impressive achievement on paper like some other American kids, but you have accomplished a lot, and you are going to achieve what you truly want to do and want to be: getting a good education in US, making yourself to be a great engineer, and changing our world to a better place to live.

I am very lucky to have a great son like you. No matter if you will get into MIT or not. I believe that you will become a great engineer. The most important thing is not where you go, but what you do. Believe in yourself. Always look for the open windows. I attached two documents in my email. One is the message from Ms. Jones who is the dean of MIT admission office. Please read them and start to enjoy your winter break. We will have a lot fun during this very special holiday season.

Posted by: raindrop on December 16, 2005

who cares what brand? oreo ice cream is soo good it doesn't matter who makes it..

alex, that is NOT nice..it's hard enough reading all the "aprils" w/o you adding even MORE..lol..it's all good..i like my name..even if it's fun/interesting wo have

umm...maybe not evert 5 mins...but it sure seems like it! when you are listening for something it seems to turn up soo much more

so..we should start an oreos club

do ya'll have a myspace? we can have an oreo group! lol..maybe that's going a bit far..but hey I LOVE OREOS..

christmas oreos?!?! that is AWESOME i haven't seen them and they should definately have double stuff christams ones...THAT IS A CRIME

the peanut butter ones are WEIRD

The best oreos=white chocolate covered

Posted by: Lindsay on December 16, 2005

those are ok...but too much white chocolate makes me sick

i like the originals..and the double stuffs

with milk!

You haven't seen Christmas Oreos? Where do you live?

I'm not a big fan of the chocolate-covered oreos (except on Christmas eve, when you can dunk the oreos in chocolate milk), and the peanut butter ones are just gross....

Thanks for the compliment, Lindsay, although I admit I compeletely plagiarized that quote about living to fight another day...Martin Sheen said that on NBC's drama "The West Wing" and it seemed very appropriate for my situation.

I now have 4 more apps to do, plus an additional essay I want to submit to MIT, all in about 12 days. And my family wonders why I can't get into the Christmas spirit this year!

-AG

P.S. Does anyone want me to post the deferral letter on the internet? My thought is that the rejectance people won't be on the site any more, the deferral people have their own, and the acceptance people could care less about a pathetic deferral letter, but let me know if you do want to see mine.

Posted by: Alexandre on December 17, 2005

Alexandre, so was it: you called, were told you were rejected, then your mom called and was told you were deferred? and afterwards you got a deferral letter?

That's insane. I haven't gotten any mail yet, although I was told over the phone that I'm deferred. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would be fantastic if you could post your deferral letter on the internet.. for those of us who haven't gotten anything in the mail yet -_-;;

Andd, I know they were going to post a blog on what we're allowed to send in (at least, hopefully they are), and when it has to be sent in by (which is *thank god* not Jan. 1rst), but I'm still lost on that one. If anyone could tell me what they're sending in as supplemental material, I would realllyyy appreciate it.

Posted by: Trish on December 17, 2005

To Anonymous:

Tubes, letters; thick envelopes, thin envelopes.

Mantra of every college applicant. You say tomayto, I say tomahto, it amounts to the same thing. If they like tubes, let there be tubes.

Posted by: Kith on December 17, 2005

Raindrop,

The fact that you hid your son's envelope until he could read it "without our four eyes" is one of the most compassionate things I have ever heard of.

I wanted nothing more than to be alone when I found out, and in the hour following. My parents granted me that also.

It's easy to tell where your son gets his wonderful characteristics, and all of his successes will be that much sweeter with a parent like you.

Posted by: Christina on December 17, 2005

Thanks you for everything you did to clean up the mess that wasn't even yours!

Posted by: SoccerChick on December 17, 2005

hey everyone~

I confirmed on the phone yesterday that I was deferred. It was hard, mainly because it was so sudden and abrupt...my person just told me, "You've been deferred" and that was that. Although, I understand why, since you guys were probably incredibly busy on Thursday handling all the calls. I guess what sucked most about this whole experience was knowing that I had gotten deferred by watching everyone else gets their tubes and then realizing that if someone in my state had already gotten a tube and I hadn't, then I had to have been deferred or denied. It's just an awful way to find things out, even if it was completely by accident.

But I got my letter today and it made me feel sooooo much better. Even though it's really short and to the point, the fact that you guys took the extra time to tell us to try not to be worried and to try to keep focusing on other stuff and that we still had hope just made reading the letter more about how much you guys really do care about us than the fact that we got deferred. My friends have shown me their deferral letters from other schools, and they've been pretty dismissive and cold. MIT's letters were just incredibly personal, respectful, and unbelievably caring. Thank you for that; it makes a HUGE difference.

GOOD LUCK to everyone who got deferred or denied, and CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who got in!!

Posted by: Melodie on December 17, 2005

Decided to call in today, and I was deferred as expected. I had friends to support me, but it still felt pretty bad. It happened really fast, and I was out of it at the time since I hadn't slept the night before and we had just finished finals. I should probably have talked to the person a little more...I just asked why I was deferred and such and said 'Thank you'. BTW, who takes the calls? I was looking forward to talking to you (Ben) or Matt and thanking you for how you handled the entire mail ordeal. I wasn't sure who I was talking to and if they were involved with that? Oh well, I wasn't in the greatest talking mood anyway haha, I probably would have just ended up babbling or something.

Also I got the letter when I came home, and I agree with Melodie, it is much more personal than most universities. So I'd like thank you guys again, truly, for making this a much more personal and warm experience for me. I definately don't think I'd have this level of interaction and this kind of caring if I'd done EA/ED elsewhere, and it's truly things like this, the wonderful people and sense of family, that make MIT my #1.

Posted by: Sohaib Raihan on December 17, 2005

Your reasons for not posting online sound very dandy and idealistic, however if you are too IDIOTIC TO MAIL LETTERS ON TIME BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO BUSY SENDING TUBES AND ADMITTING A UNACCOUNTABLY SMALL PORTION OF YOUR CLASS ED, YOU NEED TO POST ONLINE.

I'm sorry to be blunt, Ben and Matt, I really liked what you were doing with your blogs and your inside information. Everyone makes mistakes, usually they are held accountable. You failed to right the wrongs. Both of you should be fired as should the mailing department.

People, sadly, spend many years of their life hoping to go to your school. THE MISTAKES YOU MADE ARE NOT FORGIVABLE.

Posted by: jon on December 17, 2005

I was going to stay out of this, but man, jon...

We heard when Ben heard. The update is there in the blog edit.

Yes, it's bad that it happened, yes, it shouldn't have had to have been like this, and yes, things could have been done to prevent it.

You can blame, but that doesn't change anything. They've done what they can to say they're sorry. It was a mistake, we all make those. And if you don't, you should really pick up a gambling habit.

The thing I'm having the hardest time believing is the general "MIT doesn't care" tone of your post. Look at where you are, this is an admissions blog. The mere fact that it exists shows that MIT cares. Read the other blogs. Read previous entries. With all that each of the bloggers has done to show us they care, with all that MIT and Dean Jones have done to show us, how can you feel that way?

Posted by: Timur Sahin on December 17, 2005

"You failed to right the wrongs. Both of you should be fired..."

Tell me Jon, what would you have had me do that I didn't do? Was working every single day since October (including saturdays and sundays) to make sure we could mail on time despite the increase in apps not enough? Was keeping you in the loop *every* step of the way not enough? Was working until midnight the day of the mail fiasco to ensure that we could start taking calls the very next day (all the while keeping you updated via the blogs and College Confidential) not enough?

'Cause let me tell you - my wife and kids think it's enough. Do you know what it's like to not see your kids for a month Jon? Do you know what it's like to have them ask you over and over and over when you're going to be able to play with them again?

There are wars going on in the world, Jon. There are people getting blown up by suicide bombers. There are people living with cancer and AIDS, people living without homes or clean water.

I'm really sorry your mail was a couple of days late.

Since you seem to have all the anwers, how 'bout you tell me what we could have done to better "right the wrongs." Or better yet, come use your vast experience to assume the role of Dean so you can fire me yourself.

Peace out.

Posted by: Ben on December 17, 2005

In internet language, jon just got pwnt.

Posted by: Lindsay on December 17, 2005

GO BEN!!!!!!!!!!!

"THE MISTAKES YOU MADE ARE NOT FORGIVABLE" <- HUH?!?!? where is your logic???? NOTHING is not forgivable...even if there was anything to forgive which there isn't

btw, i loved my defferal letter...it wasn't like i expected...if it had been any longer i think i would have broken down and same if it was shorter..somehow you figured out EXACTLY the right things to say...

alex,

NO I HAVEN"T SEEN XMAS OREOS! :(

i live in central NJ...i haven't been to a grocery store in a little while so that could be it..

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

i <3 MIT

Posted by: April (no longer waiting but deferred) on December 17, 2005

Ben,

Thank you for your heartfelt response to Jon. It speaks volumes as to the care and compassion exhibited by you, the admission office staff and MIT in general. Thank you all for your efforts during this difficult time.

Posted by: lucky parent on December 17, 2005

soo...apparently there are like 150 oree myspace groups

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2005

omg..i keep forgetting

Actually, Ben I'd have you not do that stuff and spend the time with your family. I dont understand why you choose to put up with overeager applicants instead of playing with your kids. The only thing I expect from you and everyone else is to read every post on their blog and you certainly do more than that. (I really feel sorry for Matt right now who has to go back and find every question asked on his blog since November and answer it in his next Omnibus which will probably be split up into separate installments.)

Posted by: Justin on December 17, 2005

"Pwnd" is the most understated word for the action that was just done to Jon. Go Ben!

Trish: I called from school at about 9:01 and was told I was rejected. Without realizing I had called, my mother called from home later and was told I was deferred. The deferral letter came the next day.

I'll post the deferral letter tonight or tommorrow - have to study for Bio and finish my Brown app though.

Good luck.

Alexandre

P.S. April - are you really homeschooled? That sounds just awful! -AG

releasing decisions online is a good idea, but it couldn't hurt to teach the applicants all some patience by not doing so... as we will need it to withstand the waiting period between taking all kinds of big tests at MIT and finding out how we did on them... wink

Posted by: e8xe8 on December 17, 2005

aweful?? oh nooooo..i love it!

no tests...no homework...i teach myself...i choose what i want to do when i want..I GET TO CHECK THE MAIL THE MINUTE SHE GET HERE..that's the best part raspberry...seriously i love it...course college will be umm...different..i'll have to adjust...but i can do it

"I dont understand why you choose to put up with overeager applicants instead of playing with your kids."

I'm sorry, but that comment just has an unnecessary judgemental air to it that kind of has me reeling.

Ben's kids are babies (3 and 6 months, I think) and the hours in which they are awake probably only extend a bit beyond when their dad gets home from work. If you'll notice, the majority of Ben's blogs (which probably don't take him long to type out) are written when he's AT WORK and are an extension to his job, which entails keeping applicants sane and informed.

How in the hell are Ben's kids separated by only three months? smile

Although perhaps unnecessarily judgmental, I don't believe anyone will disagree that Ben and the rest do much more than is required to keep their jobs.

Posted by: Alexandre on December 18, 2005

I was wondering how you knew that the mail had come at noon...I figured you had called home.

-AG

3 years and 6 months. tongue laugh

Posted by: Christina on December 18, 2005

I think this little hick up has done more good than anyone has realized. One of the admission office

Posted by: Ender's side kick on December 18, 2005

Ben! I just found your band's site and am listening to your tracks. Great music! You're the lead vocal? You can actually sing that high; I would've cracked at about an octave lower.

BTW, I was thinking, maybe you could write a song for those who are rejected in March. Just have like a URL to the song in the letters. It'll be a great "aftertaste" for the applicants. Plus, it'll make your band more popular as well.

and good job on dealing with jon. PWNED!!!

Posted by: Jeff on December 18, 2005

maybe it was supposed to be one is 3 years and the other is 6 months raspberry

alex,

yup...that's y i love being homeschooled!

can someone PLEASE explain pwned to me???

Posted by: April (no longer waiting but deferred) on December 18, 2005

lol. PWNED is the misspelling of OWNED on online games. Eventually it became an actual said word.

Posted by: Jeff on December 18, 2005

I'm still deadly depressed at being the unlucky class of record-low admittance but I know that's no one's fault...

More importantly, THAT's what PWNED means? For some reason I always thought it meant Pounded. PWN/OWN makes much more sense, tho.

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2005

thanks jeff!

i don't play online games..maybe that's y i didn't get it..i figured it might be something like that though

Hi Ben,

You had written, "I can think of some EA applicants right now who will absolutely get in RA."

If that is so then, with all due respect, why werent't those applicants accepted Early? I would be very honored if you could respond. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Nor

Posted by: Nor on December 18, 2005

Nor, there is a policy at MIT that only 30% of the incoming class is to be admitted during early action. Sometimes there's just too many "certain admits" to take everyone during the early round...

Posted by: Anthony on December 19, 2005

Now everyone is thinking... "I must be one of those kids who got defered but was actually a 'certain admit.'" That's what I hope; I mean, why wouldn't MIT want me? wink

Can somebody definatively answer the question about changing applications (can we edit our essays for example)?

Posted by: Cem on December 19, 2005

It's a good thing that admissions were given over the phone. It's monday again and even though they were sent first class I haven't recieved anything- and I live in Texas

Posted by: Chris on December 19, 2005

I think it's quite clever for MIT to accept the "certain admits" during RD because MIT knows they will attend if they were admitted. Think about it, MIT wants a talented and diverse student body. If you were accepted early, wouldn't you think, "all right, I've going to MIT!" so, those who got admitted early will have a higher chance of attending. This way MIT accepts those who are qualified AND are definitely going RD so those who are less qualified but are wavering on whether or not to attend MIT will have more incentive to actually go.

Posted by: Annonymous on December 19, 2005

Yeah, in the end, EA is a service to us, not an obligation for us, and we can't complain about how they do it. Heck, even RA's are invitations.

The only time we're really entitled to complain is when we dish out the dough.

Posted by: 0 on December 19, 2005

BEN JONES!!! BEN JOOONES!!! WHO- IS- BEN JONES!!!

Posted by: 0 on December 20, 2005

^ LOL!!!!!!!

Posted by: April (no longer waiting but deferred) on December 20, 2005

how unfortunate that 'freedom of speech' has to include blogging people incessantly complaining about acceptance or deferrence or rejection ad nauseum and parents fawning over their children because things didnt turn out the way they expected.

somebody call the waaaaah-mbulance!

Posted by: 0 on December 21, 2005