Almost a year ago, I met a kid who tried to convince me to come back to his room with him to see his hydraulic door. To this day he insists 1) that it didn't happen and 2) if it did happen, his intentions were completely innocent and simply limited to showing me how he could use water to open and close his door. Whether you believe him or not, I have to admit my boyfriend's door is pretty good at attracting the ladies.
Here's his door in action:
A couple notes from someone who has opened and shut this door from her iPhone on several occasions:
1) My decrepit old fogey of an iPhone that still runs on Edge is faster than Chris's 3G iPhone at opening his door every single time. Other things it beats Chris's phone at: finding things on maps, being good looking, etc.
2) Because the door button was right next to a lot of other important buttons on my iPhone, I often accidentally opened his door. Fortunately there's a webcam pointed at it so I could check if I'd left it open, but there have definitely been "hold on, I just accidentally opened Chris's door" occasions during phone calls.
3) This also happened with other people playing with the door, especially while I was napping.
4) An earlier version of the secret knock consisted of banging the top of the door really hard. Another enjoyable occurrence during naptime.
5) An actual quote from Chris, upon visiting my room: "Your door is so ANALOG(UE)!"
Chris wrote up a more technical explanation of his door (the "iDoor") on his blog, as well as submitted the video to Hack A Day. (In response to whoever commented, "that might even be impressive to whoever he comes stumbling back to his room with", I would just like the say that it was, but I was more impressed by the fact that he got an A+ in 6.033.)