Some a capella by Matt McGann '00

A concert by the MIT Chorallaries (7 pictures)

It’s Saturday night at MIT, and I’m taking a break from reading in my office by checking out the concert by the Chorallaries. Hundreds of people have joined me to see MIT’s oldest co-ed a capella group (with a nerdy/musical pun name only rivaled by the MIT Logarhythms).

[This is my second live entry; see my previous live entry, in this very same room, just six months ago]

A few of the numbers they’ve done tonight:

• White Flag (Dido)
  • No Surprises (Radiohead)
  • New York, New York (Frank Sinatra)
  • Cornflake Girl (Tori Amos)
  • If Ain’t Got You (Alicia Keys)
  • Drift and Die (Puddle of Mudd)

They also a few songs back did a sweet remix/mash up combination of Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler) and (I Just) Died in Your Arms Tonight (Cutting Crew).

And now, without further ado, some pics! (And if you want some beautiful photos, why don’t you check out Anthony‘s latest entry?)

Some nice red lighting, for Radiohead…

Some solos…

I got to sit behind the sound guy! ;)

And, for the grand finale, the Chorallaries’ classic: The Engineers’ Drinking Song!

It was a busy week for a capella, as there were also concerts by the MIT-Wellesley Toons and the MIT Cross Products. In three weeks, there will be another big a capella weekend, with concerts by Resonance (December 9), the Muses (December 10), and the Logs (December 11).

11 responses to “Some a capella”

1. lorelai says:

hey matt!

i’ve got a question! i am a foreign student, and i skipped a year in highschool so i will finish highschool in 3 years. and i am sure that i’ve read somewhere=> do we have to get english classes for 4 years ?

i am confused a little actually.

and thanks!!

-lorelai-

2. Amy says:

The Engineers’ Drinking song is so funny! Did the audience got rowdy listening to it?

3. Yeah! Go Chorallaries! I heard about their classic Engineer’s Drinking Song over some MIT webpage… and lo and behold, I have a copy of their MP3 file with me! (*sheepish* okay, so it’s piracy… but there’s no other way that I can get a copy of their songs in Singapore…)

4. AndersoN says:

The Engineer’s Drinking Song is so hilarious!!!

I love the Chorallaries. I’m so sad I missed the concert. =(

But I love the Engineer’s Drinking Song. People apparently like to sing it across campus in the middle of the night. =)

6. Akash says:

matt mcgann you rock my socks – come to our next concert smile and don’t forget bad taste!

7. Resonance made BOCA =D

And yeah, I hope to see you at our concert on Dec. 9! smile

borski

8. zoogies says:

Oh,

Princeton’s run by Wellesley, and Wellesley’s run by Yale.

Yale is run by Vassar, and Vassar’s run by tail.

Harvard’s run by…heh. I’ll stop here. I love the Engineer’s Drinking Song. I want to be in the MIT marching band, just for that. I mean, I don’t even like marching too much, I like concert better. But the song wins all. It deserves a free universe.

9. Jessie says:

I like the newest verse of the Engineer’s Drinking Song, which first appeared in the 2004 How to GAMIT:

“Some engineers were working on the Dome to build a hack.

The CPs picked them up as they were done and heading back.

The cops detained, the deans complained, the hackers went to trial.

But Professors Hal and Gerry paid their fine in true Tech style!”

I think Zoz wrote it. Zoz is awesome.

10. Raul Thomas says:

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could let me know how I might get in touch with Matt or someone from MIT admissions about my chances of getting accepted to the Masters Degree program in Nuclear Engineering. I already have a Masters Degree in Aerospace Engg and recently took the GRE with the following scores-Verbal-590 and Qty-640. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanx people and Take care..Per Aspera Ad Astra !! Ciao!