MIT student blogger Abby H. '20

a super timely post about spotify wrapped by Abby H. '20

bloggers wrapped 2018

Spotify Wrapped day and the festivities surrounding it happened a long time ago. On that very same day, I asked the bloggers to share their stats with me, because we are curious beavers who eat data.

It seems like people enjoy seeing their listening data broken down into pretty little slides, but it also seems like people often don’t agree with how the data represents them. A common complaint this year (and last year) was that the so-called personalized stats were just wrong or only partially correct. I for one was a little irritated that my Spotify Wrapped was more a loose sampling than an overall snapshot of my listening habits. Then I remembered that 2018 was the year I began listening to podcasts a lot, so maybe I have just been replacing my Spotify Time with Podcast Time. But where is Janelle Monae’s Pynk, which I streamed at least 50 times over the course of a week, on my top 100 playlist? I don’t even recognize at least a third of the songs on that playlist. @spotify wyd.

This is relevant to you because algorithms suck sometimes. We laugh and grumble about them when it comes to this kind of stuff but some algorithms are just bad. Not just bad in the sense of “lol WRONG” but also institutionally bad. Algorithms aren’t leaving any time soon, so before we get too reliant on them, it’s important that we try to fix them. After all, I want the smart home devices that will inevitably care for me in my old age to play music that I actually like.

For Funsies, here are the bloggers wrapped and then unwrapped (because I like that people get a little uncomfy when their music taste is judged):

Blogger: Me

First song listened to in 2018: “m.A.A.d city” by Kendrick Lamar (this was definitely because he was the half-time show at the college football national championship)

First discovered artist of 2018: Jesse Boykins III

Minutes spent listening: 8,314

Favorite artist: Madvillain

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 5 hours

Top artists: Madvillain, Kid Cudi, The 1975, Amine, Death Grips

Top songs: “Here Comes Your Man” by Pixies, “This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)” by Talking Heads, “Disorder” by Joy Division, “Spice Girl” by Amine, “Cough Syrup” by Butthole Surfers

Top genres: rock, indie, pop, hip hop, punk

Top 100 songs playlist: here u go ;)

Favorite musical subgenre: alt rock

Oldest song: “Telstar” by The Tornados (1962)

Tastebreakers playlist: it’s decent

Comments from the blogger: This was a podcast year for me, so I wasn’t on Spotify as much, and when I was it was to listen to specific songs. Some of this seems wrong, though. Like I know for a fact that I went through a whole phase in October where I listened to Cab Calloway’s version of “St. James Infirmary Blues” ad infinitum because of this video. His version of the song is from 1933, so that should be my oldest song and not whatever that song is by the Tornados. 

My personal judgment of the blogger: henlo abby. helllo you STINKY ABBY. go eat a playlist ugly

Blogger: Afeefah

First song listened to in 2018: “Young” by The Chainsmokers

Minutes spent listening: 16,488

Favorite artist: Pritam

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 28 hours

Top artists: Pritam, Arijit Singh, Atif Aslam, The Piano Guys, Shreya Ghosal

Top songs: “Enna Sona” by Arijit Singh, “Main Rang Sharbaton Ka” by Atif Aslam, “Samjhawan” by Arijit Singh, “Hawayein” by Arijit Singh, “Pehli Nazar Mein” by Atif Aslam

Top genres: pop, Desi, indie, dance/electronic

Top 100 songs playlist: yes

Favorite musical subgenre: Desi

Tastebreakers playlist: breaking the tastes

Comments from the blogger: I’ve never felt more self-conscious about the fact that I almost purely listen to Indian music.

My personal judgment of the blogger: needs more Indian music

Blogger: Alexa

First song listened to in 2018: “Meant to Be” by Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line

First discovered artist of 2018: SZA

Minutes spent listening: 41,488

Favorite artist: Taylor Swift

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 95 hours (#noshame)

Top artists: Taylor Swift, Quinn XCII, Glades, Camila Cabello, Halsey

Top songs: “Meant to Be” by Bebe Rexha and Florida Georgia Line, “Do Right” by Glades, “What the Hell Happened to Us” by Quinn XCII, “She Loves Control” by Camila Cabello

Top genres: pop, dance/electronic, hip hop, indie, rock

Favorite musical subgenre: dance pop

Oldest song: “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone (1965)

Comments from the blogger: ngl, I start listening to Taylor Swift after like 2 am if I’m psetting because it comforts me in those troubled times

My personal judgment of the blogger: ninety! five! hours! of! taylor! swift! how!

Blogger: Jamie

First song listened to in 2018: “24K” by Jae Stephens

First discovered artist of 2018: Seeb

Minutes spent listening: 80,048

Favorite artist: Lana Del Ray

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 161 hours

Top artists: Lana Del Rey, Halsey, Banks, Hayley Kiyoko, Zella Day

Top songs: “One More Day” by Sistar, “Hypnotic” by Zella Day, “Dusk Till Dawn” by ZAYN, “This Is What Makes Us Girls” by Lana Del Rey, “High By the Beach” by Lana Del Rey

Top genres: pop, indie, dance/electronic, hip hop, R&B

Top 100 songs playlist: enjoy

Favorite musical subgenre: dance pop

Oldest song: “O Fortuna” by Carmina Burana (composed in 1936, recorded in 1973)

Tastebreakers playlist: more like tastemakers

Comments from the blogger: I rly hope I win “minutes spent listening” and “time spent listening to favorite artist”

My personal judgment of the blogger: I declare you the winner

Blogger: Joel

First song listened to in 2018: “Freakin’ Me Out” by the Mowglis

First discovered artist of 2018: Maximilian Hecker

Minutes spent listening: 39,201

Favorite artist: Talking Heads

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 34 hours

Top artists: Talking Heads, Hot Chip, Arcade Fire, MGMT, Yo La Tengo

Top songs: “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots – Part 1” by The Flaming Lips, “(Nothing But) Flowers” by Talking Heads, “Graceland” by Paul Simon, “And She Was” by Talking Heads, “Dress Up in You” by Belle & Sebastian

Top genres: indie, rock, dance/electronic, pop, punk

Top 100 songs playlist: there are some bops on here

Favorite musical subgenre: indie pop

Oldest song: “I Get Along Without You Very Well (Sometimes)” by Chet Baker (1956)

Tastebreakers playlist: viewer discretion is advised

Comments from the blogger(s):

Nisha: JOEL I LOVE THE FLAMING LIPS !!! they’re so good

Joel: AAAAAAAAAAAAAA yoshimi battles is such a good album

Nisha: YEA IT IS OMG I REALLY LIKE DO YOU REALIZE

My personal judgment of the blogger: wait didn’t you graduate already

Blogger: Kathleen

First song listened to in 2018: “Gone in Bloom and Bough” by Caspian

First discovered artist of 2018: Caspian

Minutes spent listening: 59,021

Favorite artist: Rejjie Snow

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 54 hours

Top artists: Rejjie Snow, BORNS, Rex Orange County, Tyler the Creator, Arctic Monkeys

Top songs: “The Ways” by Khalid and Swae Lee, “Apricot Princess” by Rex Orange County, “Opps” by Vince Staples and Yugen Blakrok, “Baby I’m Bleeding” by JPEGMAFIA, “ACID TRIP” by Rejjie Snow

Top genres: pop, indie, hip hop, rock, R&B

Favorite musical subgenre: indie R&B

Oldest song: “Sleepy-Eyed John” by Johnny Horton (1956)

Comments from the blogger: idk this isn’t really representative of my music taste.

My personal judgment of the blogger: depends on if you’re listening to recent Tyler the Creator or his early stuff

Blogger: Nisha

First song listened to in 2018: “Five Years” by David Bowie

First discovered artist of 2018: David Bowie

Minutes spent listening: 48,483

Favorite artist: Pearl Jam

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 58 hours

Top artists: Pearl Jam, David Bowie, She Wants Revenge, Arctic Monkeys

Top songs: “Sleeping by Myself” by Pearl Jam, “Poison” by Alice Cooper, “Fluorescent Adolescent” by Arctic Monkeys, “Black Hole Sun” by Soundgarden, “Future Days” by Pearl Jam

Top genres: rock, indie, pop, punk, metal

Top 100 songs playlist: I’m dying bc NIN’s “Closer” is on here

Favorite musical subgenre: permanent wave

Oldest song: “Sweet Leilani” by Bing Crosby (1956)

Tastebreakers playlist: how can an algorithm understand taste

Comments from the blogger: i listened to a lot of pearl jam songs on repeat to learn for my boyfriend so as a result my musical taste is skewed very heavily. they’re super good tho so i dont mind

My personal judgment of the blogger: this is all stuff I listened to in high school so good job

Blogger: Petey

First song listened to in 2018: “Paralytic” by Dead Poetic

First discovered artist of 2018: Misery Signals

Minutes spent listening: 25,303

Favorite artist: Thrice

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 20 hours

Top artists: Thrice, Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada, Between the Buried and Me, Dance Gavin Dance

Top songs: “White Noise 145 Hz”, “Penance” by Holding Absence, “Heaven Knows” by Holding Absence, “Doomed” by Bring Me The Horizon, “Dream of Me” by Holding Absence

Top genres: rock, punk, indie, metal, pop

Top 100 songs playlist: disappointed that I couldn’t find the white noise song on here

Favorite musical subgenre: rock

Oldest song: “Rosalita” by Bruce Springsteen (1973)

Tastebreakers playlist: eh

Comments from the blogger: I would be ashamed if I was capable of feeling shame

My personal judgment of the blogger: I’m concerned that the intensity of your music tastes will scare off applicants

Blogger: Shuli

First song listened to in 2018: “Green Light” by Lorde

First discovered artist of 2018: Halsey

Minutes spent listening: 451

Favorite artist: Lorde

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 1 hour

Top artists: Lorde, Echosmith, Fall Out Boy, Halsey, Imagine Dragons

Top songs: “Save Rock and Roll” by Fall Out Boy, “Loving Is Easy”, “Take Me”, “When Someone Stops Loving You” by Little Big Town, “May I Have This Dance” by Francis and the Lights

Top genres: pop, indie, rock, punk

Favorite musical subgenre: dance pop

Tastebreakers playlist: how were they able to generate this when Shuli only listened to 451 minutes of music total

Comments from the blogger: although this is an accurate portrayal of the stuff i like, i mostly listen to itunes so the minutes listened is way off lol

My personal judgment of the blogger: needs more Canadian content

Blogger: Veronica

First song listened to in 2018: “In My Feelings” by Drake

First discovered artist of 2018: Drake

Minutes spent listening: 7300

Favorite artist: Sauti Sol

Time spent listening to favorite artist: 10 hours

Top artists: Sauti Sol, Elevation Worship, Drake, Ed Sheeran, Tekno

Top songs: “Free Fallin'” by John Mayer, “Girl Next Door” by Sauti Sol and Tiwa Savage, “In the Name of Love” by Martin Garrix, “No Tears Left to Cry” by Ariana Grande, “Nitafanya” by Kidum

My personal judgment of the blogger: the in my feelings challenge seems like it was so long ago