A Day at the Beach: Quick Trips From MIT by mitblogs

The ocean is only a short train ride or drive away!

Growing up in the Midwest, my “beach” experiences consisted of the sands of Lake Michigan or small lakes in Wisconsin and Michigan. Living (or going to college) in the Boston area is a real luxury because the ocean is only a short train ride or drive away. In fact, many of Massachusetts’ beautiful beaches require travel times of only an hour or slightly longer. Even better, many of them are accessible via the commuter rail train or a ferry.

This means that the trips wind up being really affordable and you don’t need a car. If you want to stay closer to MIT, though, there are some good beaches right in Boston or its neighboring cities. I took one of those very quick trips this past weekend when my friend and I brought our dogs to Revere Beach (the beach has its own stop on the subway’s Blue Line). Besides it being a little windy, it was a perfect fall day. As you’ll see from the photos, Willie (my dog) and Sarah (my friend’s dog) had a grand time.

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

7 responses to “A Day at the Beach: Quick Trips From MIT”

1. Bryan says:

Willie is the best admissions dog ever!

2. Adam says:

Wow, those two dogs look a lot like ours. Willie looks like my dog, Lucky, but bigger, and Sarah looks like my sister’s dog, Sugar, but much bigger.

Anyway, I’m from the Midwest, so I know what you mean about the beaches. I’ve never actually been to a body of water where you cannot see the land on the other side. I’ll have to see the ocean sometime. grin

I never really got to thank you for the admissions info session that you gave near Milwaukee. I enjoyed it, and especially liked that you incorporated the fire truck hack in your presentation the day after it had happened. Oh, and thanks for the two pens. I’ve made great use of them this year! grin

3. Aaron says:

aaahh….I can smell the salt in the air…nice pictures!

4. leah says:

nice pics…
    i really miss the ocean..i was born and raised on an island in alaska, the ocean visible from the window, a mere 5 minutes walk away. now i live in korea and the nearest beach is a couple hours drive away so i dont get to go often.

5. stavros says:

Peerless beauty..too bad i have never seen ocean..only aegean sea cause i live in greece!

6. stavros says:

7. Hey, i did not know where to post this, so here it is.
    For the Evaluation B form, can I have my computer science teacher fill it out? or what teacher otherthan english shall I ask?