Faculty Luncheon for Local* Admitted Students by mitblogs

*local: from New England or New York, or anyone who just happens to be in the area.

Hello, everyone. This is probably the first time anyone has heard of me (maybe that’s a good thing?), but I come to you today with important news!

Our faculty, an amazing group of folks, asked how they could help us in addition to the many activities they’re planning for Campus Preview Weekend in April. We brainstormed, made charts and graphs, and after drawing some Venn diagrams, finally came up with the brand-spanking-new Faculty/Admitted Student Luncheon. This is going to be an awesome, low-key, informal event, where you can sit down for a delicious lunch and chat with our Professors about cutting-edge research, cool discoveries, and all of the fantastic things you can do as an MIT student.

(NB: Since this thing is about 2.5 hours in length, and not quite as life-changing as the 4-day Campus Preview Weekend Extravaganza in April, only admitted students in New England and New York got the invite. But if you just happen to be in Boston that weekend, and want to stop by, we’d love to host you!)

When is this Luncheon, you say?
Saturday, February 9th, from 11:30 am to 2 pm.

And where is this Luncheon?
The beautiful MIT Faculty Club.

Just who’s going to be there?
You, your parents, our Faculty, and lots of our undergrads who do original research here on campus and in the world beyond.

And most, importantly, what food will be served?
Tasty, fresh food!

Here’s the menu:

Salad
Tender Mixed Greens with Dried Cherries, Warm Goat Cheese Crostini, and Honey Tarragon Dressing

Entree
Basil and Hazelnut Crusted Breast of Chicken with Zinfandel Sauce
or
Grilled North Atlantic Salmon Fillet with Tomato, Cucumber and Dill Relish (This one looks especially delicious.)
or
White Cornmeal Polenta Timbale with Roasted Baby Vegetables and Tomato Coulis

Dessert
Linzer Torte with Fresh Raspberries and Vanilla Sauce

We’d love to meet you and your family in February if you’ll be in the area, so please RSVP by emailing me at [email protected]. Include your entrée preferences, and I’ll get back to you with directions and parking information.

Email me with any questions, yo.

-McGreggor
MIT ’00
Assistant Director of Admissions

9 responses to “Faculty Luncheon for Local* Admitted Students”

1. Oasis says:

What, can current students that never had the chance to come to CPW attend? wink

2. Viva says:

*drools at the menu*

awww, i’m all the way out in cali :( are there ever any orientation type things away from MIT?

3. Shamarah says:

@Viva,

I’m with you on that drooling thing, but I guess we’ll just have to wait for the gobs of free food at CPW haha. Speaking of CPW:

@admissions,

CPW website? smile

4. McG says:

@ Oasis: Didn’t I give you pre-med advice last year on CC? Anyways, it would be awesome for more undergrads to be there, but we’re bursting at the seams now with attendees. Maybe if you email the profs, they’ll take you to lunch? They’re pretty good about that. I think the Institute even gives out money for lunching with your prof.

@Viva: Your local EC’s usually get together and host a party for all admitted kids. The EC’s in Cali usually host a nice party, so let me get back to you w/ more info.

@Shamarah: Ben is finalizing the CPW website AS WE SPEAK. He’s is like the Ginger Santa of CPW, so be good, or he’ll give you coal.

5. Viva says:

@McG: yay! so do the local EC hosted parties happen after RA?

your note to shamarah made me laugh smile the ginger santa? haha! ooh, now i’m imagining ben jones in a santa suit, eating cookies…

6. Tong says:

Fellow ’12, I think the CPW is up.
    http://web.mit.edu/admissions/mitcpw/

7. The CPW site for admitted students will be here when it’s ready:
    http://web.mit.edu/admissions/cpw/

8. Shamarah says:

YAY IT’S UP IT’S UP IT’S UP THE CPW WEBSITE IS UP!

@McG,

Hey I think you’re the adcom who wrote my note on the acceptance letter! Thanks for that smile

@admissions,

Thanks to Ben and company for putting up the CPW website! It’s lovely.

Hey, I was admitted to MIT, and I’m in the area, so this is totally for me!

-shifty eyes-