Food That Makes You Feel Like Home by mitblogs

Are there foods that make you think of special places?

Thanks to all of the students, parents, and EC’s who made my admissions travels to the Midwest so much fun. I had really terrific meetings (and huge crowds!) in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago (both the city and suburbs), Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor. I so appreciate the warm welcome you gave me.

Because I grew up around Chicago and went to college and worked at the University of Michigan, visiting Illinois and Ann Arbor were real homecomings for me. In the few moments that I wasn’t working, I was able to see some family and good friends in both places (if any of you are reading, thanks for all the hospitality and to my folks who took care of my puppy, Willie).

I also was able to eat some of my very favorite foods. I don’t know about you, but there are definite foods that bring back such good memories of different places and times in my life. When I think back to my years in Ann Arbor, I can’t help but think of corned beef sandwiches from Zingerman’s, Chipatis from Pizza House, and peanut butter and chocolate chip milkshakes from Pizza Bob’s. I made sure to have all three during my weekend in Michigan (even had two milkshakes during the three days I was there!) and they all were just as delicious as I remembered. In fact, I’m salivating just thinking about them.

Are there foods that make you think of MIT or Boston? Or, are there foods that make you think of other really important places you have visited? As for me and MIT, I always get the Milk Bubble Tea from the Student Center. Toscanini’s Ice Cream always does it for me, too. I’d love to see your responses to this entry. They will give us all great suggestions on future travels.

Happy fall and here’s to good eats!

9 responses to “Food That Makes You Feel Like Home”

1. Monica says:

MIT is defined by an Anna’s burrito.

I’d have to go with dun dun noodles from Mary Chungs.

Whenever I go home for a break, even if it’s only a weekend, I make sure to get some (REAL, NJ style) bagels and pizza. They’re just not the same anywhere else.

Mmmmm….looking forward to Thanksgiving already. =)

4. Shannon says:

The information session in Grand Rapids was great. Even my mom loved it!

Zingerman’s really is fantastic. I love their gelato, too.

Well, here in Grand Rapids everyone loves Yesterdog hotdogs. I highly recommend it, but the line is out the door at lunch. You have to have plenty of time.

5. home refinance <a >home refinance

6. home insurance quote <a>home insurance quote</a>

7. home mortgage loan <a>home mortgage loan</a>

8. california refinance <a>california refinance</a>