Admitted Students Parties by Matt McGann '00

MIT alumni-hosted parties in your area.

Beginning tomorrow (Saturday), MIT alumni from around the world will host parties in their hometowns for students admitted to the Class of 2010. If there’s one in your area, you should check it out — it’s a great opportunity to meet some potential future classmates, as well as MIT students and alumni.

Here are a few highlighted events this coming week; see your MyMIT portal for the locations and times for these events, and for a list of all of the events.

Tomorrow (Saturday)

• Bay Area, California. Meeting location: the beautiful home of an MIT alum.

Tuesday

• Miami. With special musical guest: the Resonance of MIT.
  • Philadelphia. With special musical guest: the Chorallaries of MIT.
  • Southern New Hampshire. Meeting location: Segway Headquarters. Special guest speaker: J. Douglas Field ’92, CTO and VP of Design and Engineering.

Wednesday

• New York City. With special musical guest: the Chorallaries of MIT.
  • Seattle. Meeting location: Buca di Beppo Italian restaurant (yum).
  • …and four other events across North America.

Thursday

• Denver. Colorado Admitted Students Party and the MIT Club of Colorado’s 115th Anniversary Gala. Featured guest: President Susan Hockfield.
  • Los Angeles. Meeting host: Northrop Grumman Space Technologies.
  • Providence, RI. With special guest speaker Professor Alex Slocum (Mechanical Engineering).
  • …and six other events across North America.

Overall, there are dozens of alumni-hosted events going on; it should be pretty exciting.

If you go to one of these events, send me your review and some digital photos and I’ll post them online. Here’s a photo of Resonance performing at last year’s New York City meeting, taken by Asli ’09:

Enjoy, and I look forward to meeting you at the biggest admitted students party: Campus Preview Weekend, April 6-9 on MIT’s campus!

12 responses to “Admitted Students Parties”

Wow, this entry just appeared while I was reading the prior one. Hopefully First to Post smile

2. Shikhar says:

I still dont get what this first to post thing is all abt……

Wow ..i think thos parties will be dream for me as of now..

Hi Matt, thanks for replying to my question about fin aid in the previous post of yours! In truth, I have not received anything from MIT this week since you released decisions. Ben mentioned somewhere that EA admits should receive something, so I’ll keep my eye out for anything.

4. Phillip Kim says:

If I’m not mistaken, the admitted student party happening in DC isn’t posted onlineat myMIT. And it’s location is really bethesda, MD (esp for southern MD folks, going to baltimore is far).

5. Stephanie says:

Yay I remember singing at the NYC event. That was so much fun!

And very much looking forward to performing for and meeting some of the ’10s in Flordia!

(for those who don’t understand what I’m talking about…I’m in Resonance…)

6. Christina says:

WAITLISTED PARTY AT MATT MCGANN’S HOUSE!

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST. :-D

7. Resonance will also be performing at an admitted student party in Boca Raton, FL on Friday. smile

Can’t wait for Florida! smile

8. Bashir says:

How come there’s no party in the UK?

9. Bashir says:

Pity there’re no parties in the UK. Oh well

10. Hip says:

A bit off topic, but the older posts are locked. The Feb 23 blog mentioned the Harvard MIT Math Meet (HMMT). Some pictures are at the links below. (Many more to see if you log into http://www.artofproblemsolving.com and look at the album.)

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=683

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=692

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=688

11. Anon says:

when do you think we’ll get to see some numbers from this year? namely, how many were waitlisted so that we can gauge our hope.