Admitted Students Update by Matt McGann '00

Some news & notes for the Class of 2011.

A few updates for the Class of 2011…

Tonight MIT students will be calling as many admitted students as possible. We’ll start with east coast students around 6pm Eastern time, and working our way west until around 11pm (EST). Start thinking of questions you might have for actual MIT students! And, don’t worry, if for whatever reason you don’t get to talk to an MIT student tonight, there are plenty of other opportunities to do so. (We’ll also try to make some more phone calls next Tuesday)

Also, admitted students now have a whole bunch of stuff on their MyMIT portal, including:

• Class of 2011 Guestbook. Sign in, learn about your classmates, post a picture, find out who else is from your area, and more.
  • Admitted Student Meetings. Across the country (and across the world) there will be meetings of students admitted to the Class of 2011, as soon as tomorrow night (I’m looking at you, Seoul, Korea). Check out the schedule so you can find out when the meeting in your area is.
  • CPW Registration. You can now register for Campus Preview Weekend. Make your travel arrangements now and fill out the registration form as soon as possible before the deadline!

A few tips for CPW:

• If your parents will be joining you — and they are certainly invited, and there are many parent events — I recommend that they make their hotel reservations by Friday (yes, this Friday), when our block of rooms with special rates expires.
  • Register as soon as you can once you’ve decided to come and made your travel arrangements. As long as you’re registered by the deadline (Monday, April 2), you’ll be all set.
  • On the registration form, please help us out by giving us useful information to match you with a host & living group. Some living groups are extremely social, some are very nerdy, some are single sex, some have cats, some are in a historic mansion, and some have an awesome Disco Dance Floor. Give us a clue as to what will work best for you.

We’ll have a lot more to say about CPW over the next few weeks. I hope I’ll see many of you there!

43 responses to “Admitted Students Update”

I wish I was accepted. MIT will always be in my heart… I wish I was accepted. MIT will always be in my heart… <3

2. Connie says:

This might have been answered somewhere else, but I’ve heard a lot of different things about parents’ activities at CPW–do their activities span all 3/4 days? or do most parents generally go home after the first day?

3. Connie says:

By the way, thanks to all the bloggers!! And I am so surprised to have been accepted. Possibly the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me. Thanks thanks thanks again.

4. Awet says:

I still can’t believe I’ve been accepted! I can’t wait to visit MIT during CPW.
    Thanks for the advice about hotel reservations Matt.

5. Jillian says:

Are you calling those admitted EA as well?

6. jenn says:

connie, would you happen to be from lincoln-sudbury?

7. milena '11 says:

I have the same question as Jillian!!!! are you calling us EA students too ???

8. nadia says:

If one of our parents is coming with us to CPW, is it okay for us to stay in a hotel with them so that they aren’t alone?
    Or do we need to stay with a host?

Thanks.

9. Melissa says:

I’m the same Melissa as above.

Just wondering how does one become a blogger?

10. intleyes says:

My hearfelt congratulations to all!

I’m a mom of an ’09. CPW is really great for students and parents alike. MIT will be your new home for four years and your parents will not be living there with you. So, its very important for you, as a student, to participate in as many activities as possible and receive your own independent impressions.

CPW does a wonderful job educating parents about all aspects of college life at MIT and the parents will be very busy. All the parents are so happy and friendly that a student doesn’t need to worry that their parent is “alone”. I saw my son once over the three day period and we communicated a little by cell phone.

At the conclusion of CPW my son knew for sure that MIT was the school for him. He made the choice based on his CPW experience and he has never regretted his decision.

So learn a lot and have a blast at CPW. MIT is electric!

11. debbie says:

wow i’m really excited for CPW!! I really cant wait to come up and meet all of the other prospective freshmen. the only question i have is, since my parents are pretty much set on going to CPW with me, how is that going to work in terms of balancing time b/w them and with my host at CPW? I know there are probably more details to come later, but I was just wondering how CPW worked.

12. Susan Virgem says:

Hi Matt! I am still celebrating my acceptance. However, I have a few questions: Will international students receive a call from current MIT students?
    Because I live far away from MIT, I cannot afford the costs of the travel, should I inform I cannot go to CPW?
    And since I cannot make it, what should I do in order to know MIT better?

Thank you very much for making this process so smooth, and I hope you get some deserved rest after such hard work.

13. Carmel says:

ahhh I’m really bummed I was at work when someone from MIT called!

14. Natalya says:

To: Anonymous on March 20, 2007 11:22 PM

Dear Mom of current and newly admitted MIT student (WOW!!!),

as I am only a mom of newly admitted MIT student and the one who is international I would really appreciate if you could answer several of my questions. Could you please send me email at nvolchkova at gmail.com? I would really appreciate!

Natalya

15. Karin '11 says:

I received my call just as I was reading this =D.

16. bonbon says:

I’m with debbie are we staying mostly with our parents at CPW or mostly with our hosts? any way I guess it truly doesn’t matter who I’m with cause it’s freakn’ MIT!!!!! Yay

As a mom of a current MIT student and the mom of a newly admitted student (yeah!) I would recommend you stay with a host for at least part of the weekend. You’ll get a much better feel for MIT.

There are generally separate activities for students and parents, but I’m sure there are some you can do together. I’m also sure someone from admissions will provide more information soon.

How to become a blogger: http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/misc/miscellaneous/so_you_wanna_be_a_blogger.shtml

Congratulations everyone.

18. Melissa says:

Thank you, Anon

19. Daniel '11 says:

I agree with Melissa – it would be nice to hear about the transition, though it will be somewhat different for me… Am I the only person ever to go from military to MIT??

Hi!

I’m an admitted international student! I still can’t believe it! wow!!!

Could someone please tell me if and when you’ll be phoning international students?

Thanks!

21. Sueleyman says:

student body president, coach of a youth soccer team, homework tutor, scores around 600 :( ,toefl 96 pts (my 3rd language) and not admitted

22. nabla says:

So I skimmed the financial booklet in the admissions packet and glanced over the words “merit scholarship.” Help out here, I’m somewhat confused. I was under the impression that MIT only gives financial aid, not merit stuff. Is this true? Surely some people get merit scholarships from MIT…maybe?

not that extremely social and very nerdy are mutually exclusive!

-mit kid

24. jasmine says:

how do you register for CPW? I can’t find any information about that on the packet i received.

25. Jean says:

I am soooo happy that I have been accepted by MIT! Still in a state of enormous shock, but at the same time, looking forward to meeting my potential classmates in the future.

Long live the Beaver!

26. I am Mohamad lalehgani.
    I URGE ADMITED STUDENT TO LEAVE THEIR E-MAIL ADDRESS. BECAUSE I WANT THEIR HELP FOR NEXT YEAR.
    THANK U ALL.
    [email protected]

27. Melissa says:

For the sake of argument, what will happen if MIT recieves over the expected yield? Say, 1200 accept instead of the expected 1020. What happens? [Unlikely, I know, but I’m just curious =).]

Not a question to Matt, but can one of the bloggers write about the college transition? Leaving friends, going to a school worrying about being the least intelligent one, etc? I’m worried about that stuff =)

any admit to mit going to caltech?
    just curious wink

29. andie says:

where’s the registration form for CPW?

Any Pakistani out there? Does anyone know how many Pakistanis were admitted this year?

Any international admitted students from the Middle East?

Any Pakistani admitted students?

Any Pakistani admitted students?

34. Pakistani says:

O yaar MIT nay iss bar koi bhi PAKISTANI nahin lia hai… to bar bar puchna band karo kay any Pakistani. well my email is [email protected]. COntact me if u were a MIT applicant. I am from Karachi beaconhouse. What about u?

35. Mohamad says:

TO: SAMAN
    I’m Mohamad Lalehgani.I live in Iran Are you there??
    Please leave your e-mail or phone nomber.
    Are you admitted???
    In which city are you living
    [email protected]

36. Mohamad says:

I am Mohamad Lalehgani and high school junior.
    I was contributed for this year but I couldn’t make it because I didn’t wrote my application seriosly.
    I have some question:
    -Can I contribute for next year???
    -what else I had to done for it than write the aplication materials??
    -If it possible I need the e-mails of admitted student.(If Iranian it is better)
    -Is TOEFL exam a good point for admission??

[email protected]

37. Saman says:

I just want to say “happy persian new year”, “happy Noruz”. And also congratulation to all the admitted students.

38. Hero Kamal says:

Anonymous
    To contact with you
    I need your E-mail address

39. Hero Kamal says:

To contact I need your E-mail address

40. huzicheng says:

hi,Matt. i am an international student, and i appled MIT by mail. so i can not know whether i get the admission or not online. i really do not want to wait until the mail come. is there any faster way to know my situation?

41. Matt says:

I would like to commend MIT admissions on a very painless and smooth application process. I do, however, have a suggestion for admissions that may better ease the pain of so many students that have not been admitted. Perhaps you could supplement the “we are sorry that we don’t have room for you” online letter with a link to names and accomplishments of great people in history that were not accepted to MIT.

I just think that sounds like an improvement characteristic of your humble and un-assuming admissions process.

Signed,

Your former applicant, Matt
    (PS I didn’t cry or anything when I checked the website, I was just like “crap, I hope I get into some of my other top picks”.)

42. soccerbud says:

Hi Matt,

I want to say thanks for this wonderful blog.
    However, is there anyt thoughts about starting a similar blog for the graduate admission process? It would nice to see what goes on behind the door at the admission committee at a highly touted university such as M.I.T.

btw a little shameless plug for my

graduate admission blog