MISTI Program

Architecture students by MISTI Program

Are you interested in designing abroad?

Since its start (circa 1984) MISTI has sent over 350 MIT School of Architecture & Planning students to Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico and Spain to explore foreign architecture and city planning. In the last 2 years alone, 110 A&P interns, including Dima Ayyash, Maggie Nelson and Nathan Prevende, went through MISTI to try their skills abroad.

Dima Ayyash
Class of 2012
MIT-Germany Program 2011
Internship: ETH Zurich, Switzerland

This internship allowed me to explore a new area of interest within the fields of planning and architecture that I would like to pursue in my graduate studies. [It] helped me set my goals for my final year as an MIT undergraduate. It also helped pin-point my area of interest that I wish to pursue in graduate school. Finally, it established a better understanding for me between architecture, planning, and design and has motivated me to search out these topics in the future.

The project: The project explored concepts of informal social urbanism by examining case studies from various cities across the world in order to better understand how and why informal changes occur in cities, and what can be done to manage their consequences. My research focused on conflict cities and dealt with issues such as identity, space, and migration.

The host: My host, Urban Think-Tank, is an integrated research and design office under the Chair of Architecture and Design, and deals mainly with issues of social urbanism in developing countries.

The city: Zurich was an exciting multicultural city where many different languages could be heard on the street reflecting its long history.

Maggie Nelson
Graduate Student
MIT-France Program 2010
Internship: Jacques Ferrier Architectures, Paris

This experience not only improved my understanding of the design and construction process in Europe, but also changed my perception of the French work ethic while providing insight into Parisian culture. This internship left a lasting impression and the desire to return. Gaining this international perspective has been invaluable to my architectural and personal education, and I fully intend to explore job opportunities here after finishing my degree.

The project: This project involved the design of a mixed-use complex, including apartments, an office block, a commercial center and underground parking. My role was the completion of façade drawings as well as 3D models.

The host: Jacques Ferrier Architectures designs and builds large, varied works. From public and residential buildings to commercial complexes, this Paris-based firm is best known for their design of the Pavillonde Francefor the Shanghai World Expo 2010.

The city: This internship left a lasting impression and the desire to return. Gaining this international perspective has been invaluable to my architectural and personal education, and I fully intend to explore job opportunities here after finishing my degree.

Nathan Prevendar
Masters Candidate
MIT-Israel Program 2010
Internship: Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv

I gained and created relationships that will continue far past my internship. I fully believe that no experience available to me in the States would have been half as rewarding compared to my time in Israel. The work I did in Israel will continue forward into my thesis work which will also continue on the relationship I created with my Lab Director. We hope to publish our work to bring a greater understanding to the Urban environments in Israel.

The project: My project involved creating a master plan for the implementation of a urban design strategy for the ‘border’ zone between Bat Yam and Tel Aviv-Jaffo. This project has the potential to be a model example for dealing with border spaces between cities throughout the rest of Israel.

The host: LCUD which is under the umbrella of the Dept. of Geography at Tel Aviv University is the only Urban Design related program in Israel.

The city: I was exposed to a great diversity of cities and social groups throughout Israel and gained a deep understanding of how public space is used by native Israeliesand immigrants.

4 responses to “Architecture students”

1. Muna says:

whoah!

this is amazing!

i wish I could do that!
    can’t wait for studying architecture!

2. Hi Muna! When you start studying Architecture at MIT, please contact MISTI and see what opportunities are available for you.

3. Muna says:

HI!

Yes I will definitely do that! Once I get accepted into MIT!

Thanks :D

4. Ian H.-B. says:

It has been my dream to study abroad in France which was reaffirmed when I went to Paris and Normandy on a class trip (including a family stay)! Congratulations Maggie Nelson! I hope to follow in your footsteps when I get accepted!!