MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Bio? by Mitra L. '07

My sort-of bio, but not the Course 7 kind.

In my past entry, a few students commented with the request that I post a biography of myself. I wrote a list of things I do and don’t like (Amelie style) on my old blog in August 2004, but it’s pretty hard to find, so here’s a revised version:

Here goes: I’m Mitra, class of 2007, course 14; I was born and raised in New
Jersey (no jokes, please), but I moved to Northern California in 2000, just in time for warm weather and a power crisis. My family still lives in the Bay Area, so I am racking up frequent flyer miles like nobody’s business.

Those are probably some of the most important things about me, but I’ll tell you more. (I know, just try and contain your excitement.) When I was younger, I thought “Brownian motion” was actually “brownie in motion” and “laptop” was “labtop” — you know, like a computer you put on top of a lab table. Revolving doors freak me out, and I really don’t like it when people bring more carry-on items than airlines allow. I find The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart and American Idol’s Simon Cowell really entertaining. To be honest, I’m in love with Simon.

2006 update: Simon has been really mean this season, so my love for him has been displaced.

general likes: orange juice with pulp, lilies, Daria, 5.12: organic chemistry, Colin Firth, people who stop at yellow lights, sums of squares, Craig Armstrong, navy blue, efficiency, brown paper packages tied up with strings, pomegranates, integration by parts, the word “apparently,” David Sedaris, the Eudora noise, M.C. Escher, dorky pick-up lines

general dislikes: the green line, split infinitives, racism, tardiness, power outages, soft rock, fire alarms (ah, home sweet home), shrimp, public bathrooms, when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I’m feeling sad, Arial (the font), the spelling of the word “vacuum,” the fact that I use parantheses very frequently, non-dorky pick-up lines

Here’s a picture from one of my favorite websites:

(Note: The odds of achieving this are a little greater when you attend MIT: read. Seriously, read it.)

Original entry up here.

————-

So yeah, that’s me. I am surprised and intrigued by the speculation about my background. Shouldn’t you people be busy working on scholarship applications?

12 responses to “Bio?”

1. Mollie says:

“I really don’t like it when people bring more carry-on items than airlines allow.”

OMG rage. On my flight back to Boston from San Francisco, there were all these people who were blatantly ignoring the signs to put your carry-on in the short way (to fit 4 bags in one bin rather than 2), and I wanted to kill them. SO RUDE.

2. chris says:

Where in NJ did you used to live? I asked Laura the same thing. Oh, and it seems that Cathie Kim doesnt want to respond to my emails, so is there anyone else you know in Architecture that would be more willing to repond to my questions? Thanks Mitra

3. Mitra says:

Hey Chris, I used to live in Somerset County. I’ll email you the name of another Course 4 person

Ahhh my hatred of the green line grows each day…

5. Alan says:

Arial really is a nasty font. The capital R’s and the general awkwardness of the font: eww. Why can’t Microsoft at least license actual Helvetica, or maybe even get something nice like Futura or Myriad or one of the many other beautiful sans-serif families?

(typography nerd!)

6. Siddharth says:

dude. just download them.

wink

7. Jess says:

Where in the Bay Area are you from? I live in Alamo, in between Danville and Walnut Creek, but my dad lives in San Francisco.

8. Jess says:

Also. Colin Firth! <333

9. Mitra says:

Hey Jess,

Colin Firth is indeed a <333. I’m from Saratoga, a suburb of San Jose

10. Joe says:

Okay, the poster is just hilarious and you like people with a biting sense of humor. Good taste.

11. l0ngL says:

so then how did they pick you and put your blog on mymit?