Blogger selection 2008 results by Matt McGann '00

We have completed the selection of this year's bloggers!

Trivia: Who was the first student blogger for MIT Admissions? And who is the most senior of the current student bloggers?
[answer at the end of the entry]

You may recall that last month we put out a call for new bloggers. The response was overwhelming: we received 48 applications. With a 12.5% “blogger admit rate,” it was almost as hard to be selected as a blogger as it was to be selected for MIT this year (11.9%)!

Before we reveal this year’s new bloggers, I’d like to share with you some of the excitement and agony of the application & selection process.

Some of the more interesting submissions were in response to short answer question #2.

Of the 48 applicants, the majority of the applicants chose Option A: “In a paragraph or two, describe to us a YouTube video, and why it is the single most important piece of art ever created.”

Here are the videos that were submitted, in a fairly random order:

Large Hadron Rap
Hear My Train A Comin’ (Acoustic) – Jimi Hendrix
Alive in Joberg
Rick Roll #1
Girls are like M&M’s
Family Guy clip
Crank Dat Curry Sauce Music Video
The Dove Self-Esteem Fund
Since I Have Run
I Hate Everyone – Get Set Go
Self Defense
Where the Hell is Matt?
Pulp Fiction in Typography [warning: swear words]
Rick Roll #2
Black Screen
Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
Cert – Wi-Fi feat. Sigma Beta & Busta Chi
Here It Goes Again – OK Go
The 5th Avocado
Gnarls Barkley – “Who’s Gonna Save My Soul?”
Kerri Strug’s Gold Medal Vault
Yo! Gabba Gabba Party In My Tummy
Korean Breakdancing to a Modern Remix of Canon in D by Pachelbel
Rick Roll #3
FREE HUGS in HOLLYWOOD!
Paintjam Dan Dunn
Test Your Awareness
Snowball – Our Dancing Cockatoo
A History of Evil
Japanese Penguin Goes Shopping
Christmas Lights
Crazy Indian Video… Buffalaxed!
Daft Hands – Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

The remaining applicants chose Option B: “Create and submit MIT Admissions blog-related Lolcats (or Lolbeavers, or Lolsnivelys, or…).”

Here are the Lolcats, again in a fairly random order:

Having reviewed all of the YouTube videos, Lolcats, and the more substantial parts of the application, the committee — which this year consisted of myself, Laura, Lulu, Mikey ’05, and Kim ’86 — assembled and had some very tough discussions. In many ways, it was like the MIT freshman admissions committee; probably the biggest similarity was how there were so many good candidates but so few spaces. Our discussions were certainly spirited, but in the end, we were all thrilled with the new bloggers we chose.

Sadly, there were many, many awesome bloggers we weren’t able to hire. It was hard to let go. Thank you all for applying!

Without further ado, here are the new student bloggers:
Kim D. ’09
Cristen C. ’10
Ahmed H. ’12
Chris M. ’12
Shannon M. ’12
Yan Z. ’12

They complement the returning student bloggers:
Laura N. ’09
Lulu L. ’09
Jess K. ’10
Keri G. ’10
Paul B. ’11
Chris S. ’11
Snively ’11

Look for a future entry with a rundown of the full 2008-09 blogger roster.

This is going to be an exciting year!

Trivia answer: Mitra ’07 was the original student blogger — she and I share the same blogiversary, August 6, 2004. If you haven’t read any of her entries, I recommend going back and reading them!

Ditto for Laura ’09, the most senior of the current student bloggers. Respect the Laura!

28 responses to “Blogger selection 2008 results”

Congratulations and welcome to the new bloggers!

I hope all the other applicants who couldn’t be hired continue blogging. You guys are great – don’t let your talents go to waste.

Best lols:
    Ware’d Ben go!?
    Only 2390!?!?!?

Congrats to the new bloggers! YAY! Excitement!

Also, I call party foul on Kim ’86 and Mikey ’05! Selection committee members AND new bloggers? RIGGED!

4. Bethan says:

Heh, I think I have to agree with Snively on the Best lols.

Congratulations to everyone who got chosen! I look forward to reading your blogs this year.

5. cristen says:

wow, those lolcats are BRILLIANT, and i don’t even enjoy normal lolcats that much. wowowow =D

congrats other bloggers!!!

for those who got rejected, DON’T GIVE UP.
    fun fact: I got rejected in 2006. Second time is the charm?

6. Jeremy says:

Some good picks there.

I left for a short nap and WOW.

Congrats! smile

oh man, I actually cried earlier this year watching Kerri Strug’s gold medal vault. I’m glad I wasn’t on the selection committee, because I would have had to automatically choose whoever submitted that.

@Cristen – Maybe third for me? =P I’ll keep trying.

Congrats to the new bloggers! I’ll be blog stalking =P

10. Hilarious. So much talent, so little room. Glad to see that Ducktape made the final list. grin

Good luck to those who won. I can’t wait to read the new blogs.

12. hooray! I’m super happy!

I love looking at those lolcats/snivelys/pauls/whatever. All four of mine made it!

13. chris says:

^ I meant I found all four of my lol’s…me and the words dont always get along so well.

14. JWC '12 says:

Congrats to the new bloggers.

15. Yan Z. says:

I just ran through every floor of my dorm in a fit of ecstasy, followed immediately by a sprint down Mass Ave. and around the Kresge Oval, tackling down a row of orientation leaders in the process.

(some of the above may not be true)

Congratulations to everyone! Have a great time getting oriented!

16. andrew says:

rofl @ all the rick rolls

17. Alex says:

Congratz to all the new bloggers. I wonder what kind of new exciting blogs will be posted now. wink

18. @Vivi’12
    i was surprised too!

19. Ahmed '12 says:

First, I’m really thrilled that you picked me. Second…I’m surprised that so many people picked ironic videos for their essay! I love to laugh, and to make people laugh, but I was completely serious in the application (my video is the Hendrix one near the top). Just saying. Congrats to the selected, and everyone else should continue with their blogs!

20. Ahana says:

WOW! Awesome lolcats/lolsnivelys/lolbeavers/lolpauls/lolbens/lolstu’s….ahem..

I was expecting a few other to make the cut, but what the hey, this is cool!(Please put in links to their original blogs too, thanks)

21. Ahana says:

WOW! Awesome lolcats/lolsnivelys/lolbeavers/lolpauls/lolmatts/lolstu’s….ahem..

22. Li'12 says:

Congrats everyone! grin

Yeah kids, show some respect. =P

But, I would also like to suggest that you also go read Sam’s old entries. Sam was brilliant. I aspire to be him.

24. Cat13 says:

@Vivi’12
    I was surprised three! I enjoyed reading Omar’s

25. Vivi '12 says:

I was surprised there was no Omar on the list! =I was surprised there was no Omar on the list! =<
    But congrats to those who made it; can’t wait to see more exciting blogs from our newly expanded team =)

26. Tong '12 says:

Yay ducktape!
    Congrats to everyone who’s blogging for us next year!

27. Kelly says:

So when will the new bloggers start blogging?