Class of 2012 Profile Posted by Matt McGann '00

49 states... what's missing? And what are the most popular names?

I know folks love to see the numbers, so we’ve updated the Freshman Class Profile page for this year’s incoming class, the MIT Class of 2012. Check it out!

(If you were looking for the Admissions Statistics, just hold on for a little while longer…)

Incoming Freshman Class Profile
For the MIT class of 2012

Gender
Male 54%
Female 46%

Ethnicity & Citizenship

US Citizens & Permanent Residents: 91%

• African American 10%
  • Asian American 25%
  • Caucasian 34%
  • Mexican American 8%
  • Native American 1%
  • Puerto Rican 3%
  • Other Hispanic groups 3%
  • Other/No Response 7%

International citizens 9%

Geography

New England 14%
Mid-Atlantic 18%
Southeast & PR 16%
Midwest & Plains States 10%
South/Southwest 11%
West Coast 21%
Abroad 11%

States represented 49
Countries represented 63

Schooling

Public school 66%
Private school 15%
Religious school 11%
Foreign school 7%
Home schooled <1%
High Schools represented 791

Just for fun

Most popular boy name: Michael
Most popular girl name: Elizabeth

Longest distance traveled: Melbourne, Australia
Least distance traveled: Cambridge, MA

The one US state not represented: Wyoming

41 responses to “Class of 2012 Profile Posted”

1. kayla '12 says:

yes!!
    earlier today i was wondering when these would come up. i even tried looking for them. and here they are!

2. Efolse '11 says:

“Michael” and “Elizabeth” AGAIN?!

3. Chris B. '12 says:

Go Li for having the shortest distance. And what’s with wyoming?

4. Enas'12 says:

Cool… Still waiting on the Class size though lol… Our guesses have not been confirmed/unconfirmed yet…. P.S. Go internationals!!! =D

5. Shamarah says:

somehow, i had a feeling my name wouldn’t be a contender for most popular girls’ name :D

6. Shamarah says:

21% came from the West Coast? How many of the 16 selected transfer students came from the West Coast? (if there are any)

On second thoughts, transfer students wouldn’t be factored into these numbers.

What I wanted to know was how many of the 16 transfer students came from the West Coast.

9. Juhana says:

When the stats do come out, could it be possible to see the range of the total SAT scores of admitted students, as in /1600 or /2400? Also, could it be possible to see any specific stats (SAT score ranges) for internationals? It would also be great if you could include some TOEFL statistics as well.

10. sid'12 says:

longest distance travelled
    That is all.

11. Li'12 says:

@Christopher Merrill’12

LOL. You’re “pseudo-living” remark is sort of accurate– I’ve been finding more and more ways to cut through campus on my way places recently…

12. Li'12 says:

YIKES! That should be “your” not “you’re.” Haha guess someone’s ready to go back to school raspberry

13. JWC '12 says:

54% – 46%
    Oh dear.

14. Juhana says:

Isn’t the international student quota 8% of the class?

15. Dima '12 says:

@Juhana, I think they rounded it to the nearest whole number wink

So err this is stating the obvious, but *thats us*!

@Shamarah : that makes the two of us smile

17. Omar says:

Aww poor Wyoming. But ZOMG I cant wait for the admissions statistics. I’m really waiting for those.

yeah.. that 54-46 split needs some work, i’d say.

19. Wow, MIT is more diverse than I ever thought.

20. Shannon says:

I love how there are more students from abroad than the Midwest. I feel super extra special now.

And hey, don’t be hatin’ on Elizabeth’s popularity. It’s a solid name. I may or may not have it as my middle name and may or may not happen to like it quite a bit.

21. @Shannon, Efolse
    As long as MIT-crazy parents don’t start naming their kids Elizabeth and Michael, I’m fine calling people Liz and Mike to distinguish them all.

22. I just want to know, what do you guys have against Wyoming?

Also, I bet whoever the person is from Cambridge is probably already pseudo-living at MIT (assuming they weren’t already).

23. Efolse '11 says:

Hey, at least MIT didn’t NOT take someone from Wyoming two years in a row.

For more interesting admission stats, see The Tech article that interviews Stu Schmill from May 14:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/schmill-tt0514.html

He gives a few more numerical facts and also talks about a couple of individual students. The most surprising fact this year –
    MIT admitted quadruplets!!!!

Can you imagine that tuition bill? I hope they received a nice financial aid package or a multiple student discount. Does that exist at MIT? Maybe MIT should offer BOGO – buy one get one free!

On the contrary, the 54 – 46 split sounds excellent to me smile

These statistics made my day after being stuck at work for an extra hour! Thanks, Matt!

26. Sazzat says:

I have got a question regarding MIT scholarships. Does MIT give 100% free scholarship to any students? If yes, what qualities should i have to achieve that sort of scholarship. I will apply for MIT in the fall of 2010. I would be happy for a response. Thanks in advance!!

I wish y’all would split asian into East vs South, seeing as y’all do ask for that info in the app.

I wonder what high school sent the most. TJ?

Ouch, only 34% Caucasian? Certainly not implying anything, though, just a little surprised since I expected more. The 25% Asian American was more than I expected, though.

Haha, it does make sense of something else though. I wasn’t accepted to MIT, so I decided to go to another top university. When I got here, I was somewhat disappointed at seeing so few Caucasians since I really wanted to study in a foreign country to see the foreign culture, but seeing so few caucasians made me wonder what happened. Kinda interesting to see that the ratio is about the same at MIT.

BTW, the 54-46 split sounds good. Much better than in most unis (cept the medical-heavy ones), though it’s a bit unfair for the men with that bit of extra competition wink

Across the river @ Boston University you will find a more favorable ratio of 35% – 65% (male to female). That is of course if you could tolerate those preppie, fashion plate girls with fewer “smarts.”

31. Liz says:

My name is Elizabeth!!
    It’s a good omen. smile

Lol, multiple student discount.

I know the quadruplets. nice kids. Not one of them is named Michael or Elizabeth.

Since Michael and Elizabeth have been the most popular names for at least the last two years, I wonder what the second and third most popular names are? We would like to see a little more diversity in the name category!?! Any ideas?

by the looks of it, anonymous looks pretty popular too.

36. Yarian G. says:

LOL @ the anonymous joke. My name would definitely be the last one in the list I am sure.

37. zohair says:

hello Matt ,
    Could u plz tell where could i find the freshman application for the international candidates for the admission into bachelor courses ….
    zohair

38. Dave says:

@sid’12

You’re not alone…