MIT student blogger Snively '11

CPW 2008 @ MIT – Awesomeness Guaranteed (Guest Entry) by Snively '11

On things that other colleges (namely their dean of admissions) will never letyou do.

By Joseph Colosimo ’12

Intro

So, I’m Joseph Colosimo. I’m a amateur blogger, coder, gamer, and web designer (rather, I try to be). I came from distant lands (Lexington, Massachusetts) to attend what is hailed as one of the best college events in the nation—Campus Preview Weekend at MIT. While I was there, I met old friends, made new friends, lifted a few bloggers (this one needs to be explained later), and learned quite a bit about the school that I’ll be attending in just a few short months.

My CPW story can be summed up in three pictures.

Friendship:

CPW 2008
From R to L: Stephen, me, Sway, and her friend Jenny

Scholarship:

CPW 2008

From L to R: Stu Schmill, Kim Vandiver (Dean for Undergrad Research), and me

???:
<class=”photo”>
CPW 2008

Um…

Speaking of pictures, I apologize in advance for the poor quality. Most of the time, the issue was due to my own ineptitude, but the fact that my camera lacks image stabilization doesn’t help… :) Also, if you don’t want to read all of this boring stuff, skip right on over the stuff about Meet the Bloggers. This entry is way too long and I don’t have the heart to cut out any part of it. Feel free to just look at the pictures.

So, without further ado, the CPW story of an already-enrolled MIT “enginerd”.

Thursday

I arrived at the campus at around 9 and almost immediately met up with a few friends, including one I haven’t seen in almost two years.

CPW 2008
The Student Center

CPW 2008

MIT’s cylindrical chapel

CPW 2008

The “Little Dome”

CPW 2008

A view down the side of one of the buildings

CPW 2008
The Not-So-Little Dome

I then met my host, Nick, a course 6 major, dropped my stuff off at his room and attended 6.006–Intro to Algorithms, a course located in the Stata Center. As for the building, some love it, some hate it, but nobody can deny that the architecture is really, really creative.

CPW 2008
CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

Then, it was off to a Chinese food truck for some lunch, back to another class (6.004—Computation Structures), and to Kresge for an info session about residential life.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

More pictures of the Little Dome and the Student Center

Then, the real fun began. We headed to Random Hall (guided by the awesome sidewalk chalk designs) for some liquid nitrogen ice cream. It bore a strange resemblance to Dippin’ Dots.

CPW 2008
Mmm…

CPW 2008
From L to R: Stephen, Stephen, and… Stephen

Also:

CPW 2008

At 5:30, I joined my host and his fraternity as they took a group of us pre-frosh out for some Chinese food (yes, more Chinese food) at Mary Chung’s.

CPW 2008

The girl on the far left is Ming. She’s a guest-blogger, too! We had an argument about the organization of the menu… she won.

Later, two Burton-Connor denizens gave us a tour of their beloved dorm. I may or may not have had the privilege of seeing Snively’s room… :) The suite style living system is a unique feature of this residence hall. Another unique feature is the extensive use of catwalks, roofs, windows, and other exterior features to move around the building.

After the tour, my friends and I joined the rest of the pre-frosh at the Welcome and Icebreaker. With awesome acts from the brothers of Alpha Phi Alpha, the Logs, Stu Schmill, and more, the welcome event and group games that followed were a great way to start off an unbelievable weekend.

CPW 2008
Bonus points if you can find yourself!

CPW 2008
CPW 2008
Video is here.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

The birthday boys and girls!

Soon, the marching band led the way to the CPW Festival.

CPW 2008

And a conga line followed.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008
It was pretty crowded.

There was a ton of awesome stuff to look at, including a system that took a live webcam feed and rendered real-time transformations on it. This little gadget (involving multiple expensive projectors) was designed by Dmitri, a brother of tEp. Star Simpson was also giving rides on the “tall bike”.

CPW 2008

People waving into a camera + really awesome algorithms = graphical goodness

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

Later, I went up to the Baker Rooftop Party and took a few pictures (8 second exposure times ftw).

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

Lastly, I went to a firehose lesson on physics (and also saw Dr. Wolfgang Ketterle’s laboratory) and crashed shortly afterwards. :)

Friday

My host was still asleep when I got up (I wake up early…). I started my morning by grabbing a bite to eat at Burton-Conner (the BC folks gave me a mini beach ball, which my cat loves). After breakfast, I took some random pictures.

CPW 2008

Food brings everyone to the table.

CPW 2008

Baker and its crazy staircase

CPW 2008

The front of Baker

CPW 2008
The Zesiger Sports & Fitness Center

CPW 2008
More Kresge

CPW 2008

Yet another picture of the Student Center and the Little Dome

I enjoyed President Hockfield’s welcome and Amy Smith’s keynote lecture on the engineering and implementation of cheap, simple, and robust devices for developing countries.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

Amy Smith and her team explain some of the devices that they have brought to developing countries.

CPW 2008

The Pantonic Steel Orchestra (video) gives an awesome performance outside the Student Center.

The UROP Discussion Panel provided me with a nice introduction for my UROP tour (which was later in the day).

CPW 2008

CSAIL, MIT’s Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, hosted a really spectacular series of brief lectures and a tour of their projects.

CPW 2008

Roberto Carli talks about his experiences at MIT and his choice to focus in Digital Systems Design.

CPW 2008

There are two of these robots. One “talks” to the other, giving it dance instructions. Take a look at this video.

CPW 2008
Nobody knows how to operate this thing because the students who designed it graduated. :)

I went to the academics/arts fair and got a ton of free stuff (pens, food, flyers, more food, magnets, poker chips, more pens…). I was having so much fun that I was late for the UROP tour (luckily, they still let me in). The tour leader, Jill, showed us around the Laboratory of Organic Optics and Electronics and discussed the potential use of fluorescing materials in real-world applications.

CPW 2008
It felt a little infinite, considering that I was already late…

The EECS Department open house was the last academic event that I attended that night. I picked up some more free stuff, and listened to a few lectures by EECS professors.

CPW 2008

Professor Vladimir Bulovic discusses fluorescing materials and OLEDs.

After listening to Dorm Life @ MIT (they called numbers 107 and 105 on the raffle and I was 106), I went back to the student center to visit a certain open house that I was anxiously waiting for. Meet the folks who design all of the coolest computing projects at MIT:

CPW 2008

That’s Keith Winstein on the left, one of the creators of qrpff, a 5-line script to decrypt DVD videos.

SIPB (Student Information Processing Board) creates all kinds of awesome computing projects at MIT, such as a script hosting service, a virtual server project, and much more. Their machine room is awesome, too.

CPW 2008

This is where the magic happens.

Meet the Bloggers!

This is almost how awesome Meet the Bloggers was:

CPW 2008

We started out by making root beer floats and listening to a brief introduction from the bloggers. We then got the chance to meet all of them (likeomgcelebritiesomgomgomg). I got a nice picture of my friend shaking hands with Stu Schmill, but more on that later.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

After picking up Paul, my friend Andy proceeded to get a piggy-back ride from Ben and later lifted Bryan O. as well.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

But, I’m afraid those all paled in comparison to this…

CPW 2008

(Sorry about the blur).

Yes, that’s right. Andy, Stephen, and Stephen picked up Stu Schmill. Can you pick up the dean of admissions at any other college? I don’t think so. :D

After all that awesomeness, I relaxed with a few friends, watched some movies at Burton-Conner, and crashed again.

CPW 2008

Hello!

Saturday

Saturday was the last real day of CPW, so I decided to take it easy.

After a quick breakfast at Baker, and a few more pictures…

CPW 2008
CPW 2008
CPW 2008
CPW 2008

…I took a tour of MacGregor and went to the Student Activities Fair and signed up to be on a bunch of mailing lists. (I also had more free food.) Then, I had some boba, courtesy of the ATS.

CPW 2008

Roaming around the fair…

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

Very brave souls.

Later, I took a tour of East Campus (which was amazing, by the way).

CPW 2008

Senior House

CPW 2008

The floor numbers at EC are a little different…

CPW 2008

The home of MIDAS (another video)

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

I saw this on the way back.

CPW 2008

I also quickly stopped by the Tech’s office to say hello and to learn a little more about the newspaper. Then, I headed to Kresge Auditorium for the closing ceremony. After a few words from the admissions staff, my friends and I enjoyed several performances from the Logs, a salsa dance team, the Chorallaries, Mariachi Internacional Del Tecnológico, and a Chinese Yoyo performer.

CPW 2008

CPW 2008

CPW 2008
Video is here.

CPW 2008
The MIT Engineers Drinking Song

CPW 2008

Video is here.

CPW 2008

After the performances, I went to see Roadkill Buffet, a student improv comedy troupe. I was totally astounded by their ability to create hilarious scenes on the spot without a moment of pause.

I relaxed for the rest of the night, shot a few pictures, and did some other random stuff. On Sunday morning, I was sad to say goodbye, but happy to know that I’ll be back in the fall. :)

CPW 2008
CPW 2008
CPW 2008

CPW 2008

In Conclusion

So how was my MIT CPW experience? I honestly can’t remember anything remotely negative about the weekend. Maybe that was from my extreme excitement or because of my childhood desire to get into MIT. Or, maybe it was because my experiences at CPW allowed me to capture a glimpse of MIT culture in a super-concentrated form. I have realized that I will not only be able to fit into MIT culture, I will thrive there as well. If you’re deciding on whether MIT is right for you, I hope that you discover whether or not you could thrive at MIT, too. At any rate, I had a ton of fun this weekend and I’m very thankful for all of the admissions staff for (a) letting me into MIT and (b) hosting the coolest weekend I’ve had in a long time.

23 responses to “CPW 2008 @ MIT – Awesomeness Guaranteed (Guest Entry)”

1. Allison says:

I kind of think Stu looks like Stephen Colbert

2. Lauren '12 says:

4 months to go!!!

Dude, Keith taught me everything I know about programming.

Which is like, 2 things. But still!

4. Rebecca '12 says:

@Allison:

I agree.

I should’ve shown up to Meet The Bloggers! Too much stuff to do this weekend.

5. Chris '12 says:

@Allison. I totally agree. That just makes MIT that much more awesome.

6. Paul says:

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I’m doing in any of those photos, I’m just doing what the pre-frosh told me to.

7. Dima '12 says:

Joseph Colosimo, a huge thumbs-up on a truly awesome blog entry!!!
    The “Bang Head Here” and Evolution posters are priceless…only at MIT.

8. wendi says:

Oh wow, nice wink. I’m from Lexington too *cough* LHS. I assume you took computer courses with Mr. Harris/Hagan as your teachers? =).

9. Judy '12 says:

MINGGGGG!!!!!

You go girl ^___^

10. JWC '12 says:

@wendi: Actually, I didn’t take any computer courses at LHS. I would have signed up for AP CompSci, but it’s taught in Java and I don’t have any room on my schedule for it.

11. kayla '12 says:

i found myself! mainly because the back of my head is embarrassingly close to the camera…

12. Becca says:

Does anyone know if there is a video of Amy Smith’s talk anywhere?

13. Rutu says:

Wow, nice pictures!!! I think I saw you at firehose…..

14. Chelsea '12 says:

hahahaha stu seriously does look like stephen colbert in these pics! gotta love colbert. and stu as well of course smile

15. Vytautas says:

I bet you wouldn’t dare to pick up Stu before the decision date :D

16. '12 says:

Where were you at the Taiwanese Student Association bubble tea event??

17. Great description of CPW for those of us who couldn’t make it.. Thanks:)

@ Allison: Haha I agree…

18. Li '12 says:

Niiiiiiice. I especially like the expression on Ben’s face in the piggy-back picture.

19. Bob Kennedy says:

Congratulations on the World’s Longest Blog ..
    look’s very cool. I cam visiting because of a google news email alert that suggested that this link had something to do with poker .. ah . i found it .. actually it had to do with web cams.
    Nevermind ô¿~

20. Steph says:

Your friend Andy makes me laugh. I was going to mention that Stu looked like Stephen Colbert, but I guess someone beat me to it. lol

21. JWC '12 says:

@ ’12:
    I was the table closest to the guys in the garbage bags. The first picture that I took was right from my chair.

22. Zeina Siam says:

THIS IS THE BLOG I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR LONG! THANKSSSSSSSSS

23. Isshak says:

OMG The Meet The Bloggers party pictures are great ! They NEED to be archived lol !