CPW officially begins tomorrow! I’ve spent the past couple months planning the Closing Remarks and Variety Show taking place Saturday night – you should definitely come if you’re here for CPW. Details:
Dean of Admissions Stu Schmill and the MIT Admissions Officers will give some closing thoughts, and there will be 7 really amazing acts at the show:
– Chorallaries (a cappella, co-ed)
– Jacob Sharpe (juggling)
– Bhangra (dance, Punjabi)
– MIT Cheerleading Team (dance, cheerleading)
– Logarhythms (a cappella, all-male)
– Ridonkulous (dance, hip-hop/modern)
– Live Music Connection Guitar-off (electric guitars, shredding)
(For those that don’t know, “a cappella” is basically making music with only voices, no instruments. Rockapella is probably one of the most famous examples of a cappella.) Kim actually used to be in the Chorallaries, and I used to be in the Logs (back in our undergrad days).
These are, of course, just a sampling of the 60+ performing arts groups at MIT. There are also a lot of other cool performances going on throughout the weekend, like:
– Spring Greater Boston Invitational Songfest (all 10 MIT a cappella groups), Fri 6-8pm in 10-250
– Wind Ensemble and Festival Jazz Ensemble Concert, Fri 7-9pm in Killian Hall (14W-111)
– Steel Pan Jamboree, Sat 12-2pm on the Student Center Steps (W20)
– Next Act Presents The Scarlet Pimpernel, Fri and Sat 7:45-10pm at Next House (500 Memorial Drive)
– Battle of the Bands, sponsored by the Live Music Connection, Sat 8-10pm, Lobdell Dining Hall (2nd Floor of the Student Center)
(Click here for a full listing of the arts-tagged CPW events.)
Anyways, come to the Closing Variety Show, and say hi to me at the CPW Registration/Help Desk, Student Welcome, Meet the Bloggers, and other stuff throughout the weekend!
Have a safe trip, and we’ll see you soon. Less than 20 hours ’til CPW begins!