MIT staff blogger Ben Jones

Dating At MIT: Episode 1 by Ben Jones

So two of my favorite '09s have just started dating each other...

So two of my favorite ’09s have just started dating each other (it’s, like, facebook-official dude!), which makes me enormously happy because (a) they’re pretty much the same person so their banter is fun to watch and (b) I can blog about it.

(By the way – while I may write embarassing things about them, I do respect their privacy, so names will not be revealed.)

So the three of us had lunch today. Allow me to share an example of (a) from said lunch:

She: You’re a nerd.

He: No I’m not.

She: Yes you are.

He: Prove it.

She: You stopped kissing me the other day to say “Q.E.D.” and then went back to kissing me. So… Q.E.D.

(Cue laughter, general cuteness.)

I love this place.

So Mollie can tell you all about being married at MIT, but if you have any questions about simply dating here, post ’em and I’ll, er, ask my sources.

More episodes to follow. They’re just too cute not to share.

—————–

Edit, 4PM, my office.

He/She: We’re here to KILL you Ben.

—————–

Edit: 1 day later, as reported by She in an email.

(He/She = kissing.)

He: Cutie!

She: Ew, don’t call me that.

He: Call you what?

She: Cutie.

He: I didn’t say cutie, I said Q.E.D.

She: *bangs head on desk*

Seriously, I couldn’t make this stuff up.

27 responses to “Dating At MIT: Episode 1”

1. Phillip Kim says:

haha what a nice post. =P

I love the “it’s complicated” facebook relationship.

looking forward to the “episodes”… like 24! =]

2. thekeri says:

Hmm. I have my suspicions.

Of course, I might just be really wrong. And you’re dead now, so it’s not like you can –

Maybe I should be fearing for your safety, instead of continuing the gossip-like threa

3. Anthony says:

*eyeroll*

Relationships stole all of my friends.

4. Mollie says:

(Singsong voice)

I know who the ’09s are sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G

(And in case they’re wondering why I know)

Ben is a G-O-S-S-I-P

:D

5. Sarah Dupuis says:

One of my big concerns when I was looking at Brown is that no one really officially dates, and I’ve heard very much the opposite about M.I.T.

I just hope I’ll find someone at M.I.T. who can, as Jimmy Eat World so eloquently put it, “kick start my rock & roll heart”!

6. Timur Sahin says:

Cute indeed! :D

7. Christina says:

“So Mollie can tell you all about being married at MIT”

LOL.

Hmm. My comment regarding dating: Since you read all of our applications, (practically!) I think it would be fair to name you MIT’s matchmaker. Let me give you an example of how you can make this work: Somewhere in my application, you find out Christina loves iced coffee. Another random kid from…Ohio…also loves iced coffee.

IT’S A MATCH. BEN SETS APPLICANTS UP. APPLICANTS MARRY. ETC.

Anyway, why did he stop kissing her to say QED? What was he QED’ing about?

8. Drew says:

I’d have to say this is quite entertaining. I especially like the comparison of dating to taking another course, although i hope that isn’t what it would become for me, its an interesting thought. “Welcome to gender relations. Here is your partner, now take the next few weeks/months and check for compatability…”

yeah, my mom’s really concerned that I’m going to marry right out of college. she’s been giving me those “now, don’t forget your future” talks for a while now.

in all seriousness, though, what is dating at mit like? I’ve heard people compare it to taking another course.

O_O. matchmaking looks fun!

11. Dan Scofield says:

I tried using Admissions as a matchmaking service (See my CPW Registration form). It was just a joke, but I’m sure theres some serious money to be made there. Not in actually matching the people of course, but in wagering on likely ’10 relationships. You should start a pool Ben.

12. Masha says:

Wow.

I love nerds…Hopefully, there’ll be one for me smile

Dan- tell me about it. You’d think Ben was just the kind of person who would try to play matchmaker through applications. I already made fun of Ben for not totally calling this one ahead of time. I can’t believe he isn’t on top of this match-making thing…

14. thekeri says:

You know, I second Christina’s idea. Matchmake away, Ben. You know you want to.

15. Saad Zaheer says:

“IT’S A MATCH. BEN SETS APPLICANTS UP. APPLICANTS MARRY. ETC.”

LOL!

16. Arka says:

We love you Ben!!!

I too second Christina’s idea.

LOL

PS: I love Coffee Frappuccino. Any matches..LOL(J/K)

17. Evan I says:

Well, isn’t that an encouraging concept; being interested in solving Rubick’s Cube here may not actually be a turn-off to everyone I meet. Granted, my ex was cool enough with my obsession – she actually gave me my first Cube to own, so I can always blame her too. Such a fun time.

You know you’re a geek when:

Your girlfriend must explain her feelings to you in mathematical terminology.

i.e.: (written ’cause I can’t type-set here)”The limit of ‘less than three’ as ‘I’ approaches ‘You’ is undefined!”

I was laughing for the rest of my vacation when I read that… Geeky romantics are best when they’re clever.

18. Hema says:

Hi Ben ,

I can’t find Ann ’09 blog any more , could u tell me where I can find it , At least the entries archive , I know that Ann stopped bloggin, but her blog contain alot Of Information for International students, I’ve tried to send her messages before but there’s no reply.

Help Please

thanks.

19. Luke says:

Hahahaha, that’s awesome! The funny part is that’s not the first Q.E.D. joke I’ve heard :p

20. John says:

Too damn cute.

whatchacallum…relashumashrimps stole all my friends too, anthony. damn senior year, everyone starts pairing up…meh. Geek matchups are the best, though, luck to everyone

21. shefshoes says:

aww how sweet! bt the girl must be gettin annoyed with Q.E.D lol!

neways

ttyl

shefxx

22. vicki says:

Speaking of dating and such… anyone want to go to a prom this year in New Jersey? =)

23. XYZ says:

Hi Ben!

Sorry for going out of the topic. It seems impossible to make $5500 for self help without spending summer at MIT. What is the procedure for international stuedents to repay their loans ( taken to contribute for self help ) after ending their student status? Once they return to their home country it may be quite large amount in terms of their own currency! Please guide me. Whether students are allowed to work for some time after ending their status or this problem has not arisen so far?

24. Ben says:

XYZ: I asked Daniel Barkowitz, and he responded:

“The Self Help can be divided between campus work and loans, and students can manage their expenses to minimize their borrowing. Additionally, loan deferrals can be arranged through the Loan Office. The loans do carry a 10 year repayment plan.”

Hope this helps! If you have additional questions, please email the financial aid office as they will be your best resource.

25. victor says:

such capricious moments are so funny. Imagine a case when 2 scientists fall madly in love; what do you think will happen when say a reaction in the lab gets off to a wrong end. The arguements,i think, will be thrilling.

The endpoint in a cetain reaction may have say changed the indicator’s color to an unexpected one.

My arguement is based on a case of Marie and Pierre Curie( the curies) they seemed to be an unhappy couple.

One hint or pointer i may give to daters is they should really avoid being “mentals”.