A head-and-shoulders illustrated portrait of Ceri Riley. She is smiling with her mouth closed, has light skin, and long light pink hair.

DRAW TIM (the beaver) by Ceri Riley '16

behold the artistic talents of MIT staff

I am not a fan of icebreakers. It already takes a not-insignificant amount of energy for me to psych myself up enough to interact with a large group of people—especially people I don’t know. And if, on top of that, I have to toss a ball around or come up with two truths and a lie,01 I actually have a note saved in my phone with various truth and lie options, because I've been put on the spot enough times that I will (hopefully) never be caught off guard again I’m gonna be a little grumpy about it.

That being said: I know that conversational warm-ups can be helpful in certain situations, and that facilitators of icebreakers are often just trying their best. I have also been that person! I’ve been a camp counselor, I’ve led plenty of collaborative brainstorm-y meetings, and I’ve introduced different friend groups to each other and had that moment where I realized I needed to kickstart some name-sharing because I’m the only person who knows everyone in the room.

So my strategy, honed over years of enduring awkward icebreakers as an awkward person, is threefold.

One: do an activity that doesn’t require participants to be put on the spot, so they can opt in (or not) on their own time and comfort level.

Two: don’t make it overly complicated or metaphorical.02 no, untangling a human knot will not portend how well a team can untangle a work problem, unless you're an acrobat or something

Three: get people laughing—or, at the very least, taking themselves less seriously—if at all possible.

My current favorite activity that fits this threefold strategy is something my brain calls “Draw a Blank,”03 mentally stylized as Draw ______ but maybe that is bad branding which is a direct rip-off of my pal Valerie’s recent Zine projects. The leader of this icebreaker chooses an object or a character that the participants are familiar with, like a bike, or a car, or Shrek, and invites everyone to draw it from memory. Specifically, the instructions I use are: “Don’t look at any pictures of X or the actual, real-life X. Then, draw X to the best of your ability,” where X=bike or car or Shrek or Tim. Nobody is going to do a great job; that’s the point.04 or if they do, they must have a secret or not-so-secret artistic talent that can be celebrated

After the drawings are done, either all at once or staggered throughout an event, you can have people share and chat about what a silly thing you’ve done! Plus, if you put them up on a conference room wall or something like that, you have a weird, good community art project that you can preserve or recycle depending on your heart’s desire.

The MIT Admissions and Student Financial Services offices recently had a post-Pi-day study break filled with pie and trivia and, yes, an icebreaker led by yours truly. And because I am an internet gremlin, I also decided to mine my coworkers for Blog Content™️ by asking people for their consent to share their anonymous drawings from said icebreaker.

So, without further ado, I present to you DRAW TIM (the beaver) by MIT Admissions and SFS, with some brief commentary from me. If you’d like to contribute your own Tim to this collage, please do in the comments of this post!!

Cute Tims

All of these Tims embody the essence of cuteness, which you will fully understand upon seeing some of the other Tim subcategories I’ve had to come up with. Enjoy this palate cleanser! 05 is this too ominous? or the appropriate level of ominous?

A drawing of Tim beaver in green marker, with a very big oval head and round body. A drawing of Tim beaver in brown marker, sitting with only his front paws visible. A drawing of Tim beaver in purple marker, mostly made of circles and with small dots for eyes and a nose. A drawing of Tim beaver in black marker, sitting upright and with very cute oval eyes and chubby cheeks.

Pie Tims

Many people drew their Tims during the aforementioned pie-centric study break, so that led to the creation of some pie-centric Tims. I’m not sure whether the lines surrounding the second drawing are grass or fire (in the style of the This is Fine dog), and I guess you could think about pie in either situation.

A drawing of Tim beaver in brown marker, holding a piece of pie and with the words "TIM is HERE" written on top. A drawing of Tim beaver in brown marker, sitting on a stool with grass or fire in the background, with a thought bubble that says "I heart bourbon pie."

Avant Garde Tims

Some Tims really just capture the general essence of our beaver friend. They are just as valid! Sometimes when you’re faced with a blank canvas, expected to draw something from memory with a marker, you just gotta go with the first lines you come up with.

A drawing of of two ovals in brown marker, the top has a smiley face and the bottom says "mit." A drawing of Tim beaver in green marker, with no face and body parts labeled with "EARS," EYES," "HEAD," and "BODY" and a red heart where the mouth is.

Classic T-Shirt Tims

Other artists focused on representing Tim in his classic outfit of an MIT t-shirt (myself included), because how else are you going to distinguish him from a regular non-Tim beaver???

A drawing of Tim beaver in brown marker, with stick figure arms and legs and standing next to the great dome, with the caption: "Tim is getting his picture taken in Killian Court. He is thrilled to be here." A drawing of Tim beaver in red marker, sitting on all fours and wearing an MIT shirt.

A drawing of Tim beaver in grey marker, standing like the mascot costume with MIT on his shirt. A drawing of Tim beaver in brown marker, wearing a hat and an MIT t-shirt.

Chaos Tims

I realize I could have called this subcategory “just heads” or something along those lines, but they all had an enhanced level of chaos energy that really sets them apart. I don’t know whether to respect or fear these Tims; perhaps both.

A Tim beaver head drawn in brown ink, with pupil-less eyes and extra large teeth. A Tim beaver head drawn in brown marker that looks like a smug bear, with half-closed eyes and a toothless grin. A Tim beaver head drawn in brown marker with giant teeth and a peace sign, with the speech bubble "Welcome to MIT... we hope you stay forever..." A Tim beaver head drawn in red marker with eyelashes on only one eye and hairs sticking out of the top of its head. The pupils are giant.

1. I actually have a note saved in my phone with various truth and lie options, because I've been put on the spot enough times that I will (hopefully) never be caught off guard again back to text
  2. no, untangling a human knot will not portend how well a team can untangle a work problem, unless you're an acrobat or something back to text
  3. mentally stylized as Draw ______ but maybe that is bad branding back to text
  4. or if they do, they must have a secret or not-so-secret artistic talent that can be celebrated back to text
  5. is this too ominous? or the appropriate level of ominous? back to text