This is going to be an interesting week.
For early action applicants, decisions will be posted.
For regular action applicants, the deadline is approaching.
For admissions officers, there are many, many decisions to be made.
But it may be the MIT students who have it toughest of all: it is finals week for the fall semester. Here’s how the bloggers (most of whom have, understandably, disappeared for a little while) are doing (updates all are from Monday evening):
- Jenny: “Just finished first final @ MIT this morning (8.01; Physics I)! 3 excruciating hours in an indoor track field – can’t say I did well, but I was so elated just to finish. Right now: cramming chemistry for tomorrow – same place, same time. Best moment of the day: 8:00 AM this morning, when my alarm rang, and several moments later, my suite-mates’ alarms rang…It all felt like a movie-moment: everyone preparing for war;dorm row was like a streaming army…just missing an intense soundtrack.”
- Chris S: “My finals and I can write a bad romance.”
- Hamsika: “Finals week so far is a bittersweet concoction of wonderfully free food and painfully large stacks of notes to review. I’m feeling slightly panicked at the moment, since my chem final is tomorrow, and we’ve learned so much in that class! I’ll be glad when it’s 12:01 PM on Thursday, at which time my 18.02 final will be over, and I’ll be freeeee. And for the first time in four months, I’ll get to see my family. I’m holding on to that thought as tightly as I can.”
- Kim D: “I’m on the 6th draft of my MEng thesis proposal; ugh.¬† :)¬† Luckily it’s somewhat okay for me to stay up all night on this sort of thing because I won’t have any finals this term.¬† I don’t have any brain power left now, so as soon as I send this draft to my advisers it’s laundry time.”
- Kim H: “I got up very early to make breakfast for the girls in the house before they went off to finals :-) “
- Cristen: “I actually have no finals this semester, so I’m feeling pretty swell. I just wrapped up my UROP work and have already finished two of my classes. For the last class, I have to write a thesis proposal.. which is already late.. :( “
- Snively: “My one and only final was better than most!¬† Instead of feeling like I was kicked in the face I instead feel like I was punched in the stomach.¬† Not bad, eh?”
- Jess: “Just before taking my final this morning, I compared myself to a photo of Kermit the Frog drinking milk from a straw, in which my cup is my head and the milk is my brain, being sucked out of my head by the big green muppet that is my final exam.”Ehh, maybe that’s too graphic. Let me just say this: Today I finished my two finals, and I feel what I imagine beached whale must feel like: helpless, unable to move my massive, bloated body, and thirsty. Very thirsty.”
- Keri: “I am home already because I have no finals. Please don’t hate me.”
As for EA decisions: yes, they’re still scheduled for Wednesday 12/16 at 9pm EST.
And as for my holiday shopping: no, it’s still not done (too much time making admissions decisions). Any suggestions for good holiday gifts for mom/dad/brother?
Best wishes as EA decisions and the RA deadline draw near!