Howdy From The Middle Of RA Selection by Ben Jones

It's Sunday at lunchtime and we have a bit of a break, so I thought I'd say hi.

It’s Sunday at lunchtime and we have a bit of a break, so I thought I’d say hi.

We began RA selection on Friday morning, with the official kickoff meeting. By 1PM the committee was looking at its first applications. Exciting!

As I’ve mentioned, we also work on weekends during selection. When I arrived at 8:30AM on Saturday morning, the Infinite looked like this:

…not a single person, the entire length of the corridor. It was a bit eerie, as I’ve never seen that before. But it’s good to know that MIT people DO sleep!

One of the best parts of selection is the massive amount of food we get. Here’s a picture of the corner of the selection room:

I swear I gain five pounds every time selection week comes around.

What can I say about selection in general? Not much, really. The applications are incredibly good. You are all amazing. But hopefully you already knew that.

I need to get back to it – more updates when there’s something to report. Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

58 responses to “Howdy From The Middle Of RA Selection”

1. Chris says:

It needs to March 14th…right now!

2. Thanks for the inner view of Infinite.

P.S. Careful with that plate on the edge. wink

3. jt says:

once upon a way back one of you, matt, you, someone wrote on these blogs ‘keep in touch with MIT even tho you may did not get EA. it shows that you are still interested. in what way? phone calls? blog postings? now that RA is underway, does any of that matter anymore, the extended keeping in touch, or do we all sit back and breathe deeply and relax until mid march…..?

4. is that OREOS is see???????

good luck!

5. Fadl says:

Hey Matt!

That picture of the infinite corridor looks really nice; to see a usually hectic place so peaceful is amazing! Hope you have a good day and don’t forget to eat some of those bananas and oranges and not just all that junk food! :p

I hope you guys are releasing decisions on Pi Day smile

7. Benjamin says:

Its exciting that you are finally selecting students. How long does this usually take?

8. Amit says:

All the best Ben! smile

Does this mean that there is the oh, so slight, possibility of bribing the selection committee with food? If so, I’m ordering an entire Pizza Hut to be delivered to you guys!

Good luck! The countdown begins!

10. Zach says:

I tried to force myself not to look at the MIT blogs because during EA (when I was deferred) I spent all of my time on the site for the couple of weeks between the beginning of selection and the end. Of course, I couldn’t help taking a peek, and now I’m hooked again. Please hurry through your decision-making process!

11. Timur Sahin says:

See, this is the perfect way to get more students interested in becoming a part of the admissions committee. When has any MIT student turned down free food?

12. Siddharth says:

So…. i got in, yeah? its ok, u can tell me… NOW…

raspberry

13. KHimma says:

you all have not received my mid year report and my class rank went up so i am concerned, my counselours have said they have submitted it

what should i do? i want this new class rank to be reflected when MIT looks at my application : (

14. Isabel says:

Hey, Ben! Wow, I didn’t know the selection process began this early. Thanks for keeping us posted!

15. zoogies says:

o_o

this is it.

so, if I wanted to confirm that my update for MIT has been received, what’s the best way – call?

16. Oliver says:

What if Mid-year reports were just sent out from my school wednesday? uh-oh…

17. Phil says:

at least u got some fruit in that mixture to keep u alive :]

thanks for posting and, what can i say, i hope really that the ones who fit best overall are the ones who get in! (not by the luck of the draw… ;])

18. You guys got clementines?

NICE!!!

CLEMENTINES FOR THE WIN!!!!

mmm… don’t forget the craisins

20. Siddharth says:

they’ve GOT the craisins… ^_^

21. Hey Ben and all the admissions officers!

I just wanted at first to give you guys a HUG THANK YOU…I really don’t know what to say…working on weekends and all…you guys are amazing! Hehehe whoa i’ve NEVER seen the infinite empty…in some cases it was ME rushing down the infinite at 4 in the morning..but there always has to be SOMEONE there ;P

What?! You sent the decisions out already?! I don’t think so…because it says “Mid-March” on the calendar thing…and I have a question are they going to be released online or not?! I’m still wondering about that since I’m an international! Hmm…Ben said “admissions week”…does that mean you make all the decisions in just one week?! That would be incredible…and a BIT tiring smile hehe! I’m just glad all my stuff arrived a long time ago!

Good Luck to all the applicants (including me :/) and Good Luck to the admissions officers. I am sure you have the ability to select the best class of 2010 for MIT smile

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar (this is probably my longest post! I’m just trying to waste time…God the wait is killing me!!)

22. Sam T says:

Wait my school was really late on Mid-Year Reports and you guys probably haven’t recieved it yet. Does that mean it wno’t factor in the decision?

23. I can’t believe it, but I’m actually quite relaxed right now. It will be what will be, I’ll just wait a few weeks and then accept my fate.

24. Nabeel says:

Is it just me or has MIT really posted the decisions.

I wonder if it is a hack. And does this mean that people will start experiencing MIT hacks even before they get into MIT!

25. Catherine says:

Oh. Well. Hee. Hopefully I’ll be able to fax my updated midyear report on Monday or Tuesday. Sorry about the delay.. *headdesk*

26. Siddharth says:

so they’re only trying to prepare the ppl who WILL go to mit… so if i see the hack, that means im in, yeah?

:D

27. Sam T says:

Best of luck to everyone who applied.

Ben, save some space for some of us who got defered EA.

Let the waiting begin dun dun dum : )

28. Caroline says:

It was really cool meeting you, Nance, and Matt on Friday…and I’m glad you guys liked the cookies!

29. I am really confused, maybe I am not interpreting well that message on the tracking system:

“Freshman Online Application & Tracking

The application process for entry year 2006 has ended via the mailing of decisions. Best of luck to all applicants! “

It may be a hack or a mistake, but it really makes me more more more more more nervous. Does anyone knows what that message means for sure?

30. Andy says:

Yeah I was wondering the same thing – my Midyear Report hadn’t been confirmed yet, so I checked today to see if it had been received, and, well, the tracking system just wasn’t there haha. Does anyone have any thoughts?

31. Arka says:

Good luck!

A whole lot of food!!!!Yummy….

wish I will sometimes be in the MIT selection committe. !!!:-)

32. Siddharth says:

guys… check the next thread…

33. Ben S. says:

Happy to see admissions beginning.

On my MyMIT panel, it says the Midyear Report has not been processed. Does this mean it has the possiblity of being at MIT, but not looked at yet? I’ve sent another just in case, as when I applied EA , the secretary that sends all the materials that needs to go through counselors never sent my transcript, and I ended up having to give the forms to my couselor again to be faxed.

Just a little worried.

34. mugho pine says:

hmmm so, I’m assuming that (since I was admitted EA) if a freak accident happens and my midyear report doesn’t make its way to you guys (our school just finished midterms) that you’ll let us know somehow,

now that the application tracking has been disabled? >_<

I’m thinking this happened in the last 15 minutes casince Ben S. was apparently still able to see his just before midnight. hmm

35. Alan says:

After reading this, I tried checking on my midyear report on the status page, but it said, “The application process for entry year 2006 has ended via the mailing of decisions. Best of luck to all applicants!” I think it’s broken smile

36. Nina says:

Well, we all have one more thing in common – being nervous about what was written about mailing the decisions. I guess there’s nothing we can but just wait and being VERY nervous, try to calm down and not to think what’s going to happen. And one day some of us will receive the best surprise in the whole world! =)

call the admissions office. they are open. call them. tell them about the notice online. call them. tell them how confusing things appear. call them. dont let another ‘TUBE DEBACLE’ occur!!!

CALL THEM

38. Nina says:

Just wanted to wish good luck to all the applicatns!

39. Good luck everybody! Hope I get to see some of you next year down in the Infinite Corridor!

guys you need to chill

“Freshman Online Application & Tracking

it only means that u can’t submit application components anymore..decisions will be final on pi day smile

That food looks SO. GOOD.

42. Nabeel says:

Thanks Nina. I guess we all are in the need of a LOT of luck!

43. mike says:

Hey, what’s up with the online tracking. It says my decision was mailed!? Could that be true?

44. Senan says:

Good luck everybody…We are all waiting the admission decision..We have only to wait nothing much..Good luck to selection committe, also..It is really exiciting to wait the decisions….

45. shikhar says:

“Hey Matt!

That picture of the infinite corridor looks really nice; to see a usually hectic place so peaceful is amazing! Hope you have a good day and don’t forget to eat some of those bananas and oranges and not just all that junk food! :p”

Last time I checked this was Ben Jones blog..

46. Siddharth says:

lol @ shikhar :D

here’s what i see when i go “online application and tracking”:

The application process for entry year 2006 has ended via the mailing of decisions. Best of luck to all applicants!

sooooo, my decision appears to be mailed, yes? it might be a while for me to get mine, just b/c the package is so dern big raspberry

aaaaahahaha. im nervous, no lie.

47. Phil says:

Ah man, I can only hope that the online-tracking message means that the decisions are out smile But I have the sneaking suspicion that it’s an error :(

Pi Day just seems more romantic anyway though. I can wait…maybe?

48. danish says:

hey officers!!!

you people really deserve credit: working tirelessly on weekdays even…

49. How will i know when my mid-year report is processed?

*bites nails, or what’s left of them from the EA descision waiting*

50. Nina says:

Please, would you like to explain me what does “pi day” mean??

51. AndersoN says:

I love it!

This waiting of ours… this is such a wonderful time to learn how to be patient, how not to wait for time to pass, but to DO things.

I simply love it!

52. Pi day is probably 3-14 every year (Im guessing…someone should confirm this)

Its probably called Pi day because of the familiar digits of a famous number ….3.141592654 etc

53. Nina says:

Thank you very much! =) Have a nice day /or… considering the fact that I do not know what time is it in your area, maybe the suitable phrase will be : “have a nice time” / =)

I have posted this one in Tim’s Blog but still don’t get reply…

————–

I have check myMIT and read this line: “The application process for entry year 2006 has ended via the mailing of decisions. Best of luck to all applicants! “

I just wonder that whether you receive my SAT subject tests score? if not, how can you have decision, I told you that I had to take that SAT subject tests in JAN 2006 before!

Thank you very much!

this is the email i received before:

Hello Le Viet,

Thank you for the information. We would like for all your testing to be done before or in

December. If you have to take the January test that will be fine.

Sincerely,

MIT Office of Admissions

55. Alexandre says:

I knew you would comment on the Oreos, April!

56. KIM says:

I had no idea i am so devoid of that virtue,patience.

57. Mike Axiak says:

8:30 AM on a Saturday? I’m pretty sure there were a bunch of people still up. By that time, though, they have the decency to stay in their dorms (who knows what they’re capable under the impaired judgement brought on by fatigue…).

tongue laugh