MIT student blogger Abby H. '20

I Picked My First Apple by Abby H. '20

apples, part 1

MIT sponsors an annual trip to an apple orchard in Stow, MA for undergraduates living in the dorms. I went on that trip for the first time today, and now I have enough apples that it would be wasteful for me not to eat apple-based meals for the next few days… or weeks.

While I enjoy both apples and trees, I had never picked an apple until today. My previous experience is mostly with pumpkin patches, but I have also spent many hours of my childhood clicking through the virtual Pick Your Own on Neopets. Here is the moment that I achieved my dream of IRL own-picking:

me pretending to pick an apple off a metal pole

this variety is called “rusty delicious”

With admission, each person got a bag to pick half a peck of apples, a hayride, a bottle of cold apple cider, an apple cider donut, and a caramel apple.01 the source material for the best halloween candy: the caramel apple pop I also bought some peanut butter fudge, which was pretty good.

bag of apples, cider, caramel apple, and apple cider donut

*spooky* FALL APPLE HAUL

I picked mostly Golden Delicious with a few Mutsu02 I did not know at the time but these are just Crispins. Fun fact: they're triploid. thrown in there. I like a tart apple. They had other varieties available to pick, including the rare Orange Delicious.

a table full of apples labeled with their variety name, including a small pumpkin labeled orange deliciousa pumpkin labelled orange deliciousrows of small pumpkinsgreen apples on a treea list of all the varieties of pears and apples grown at the orchard

For the less fruit-inclined, there was an area where they kept some Pork Delicious,03 I am deeply sorry about this one... I don't even eat pig but I don’t think those were available for picking.

a pig next to three little pigs themed houses

the houses of sticks, straw, and bricks are a political allegory

Happy Your College App Due Dates Are Creeping Up Season Fall!

1. the source material for the best halloween candy: the caramel apple pop back to text
  2. I did not know at the time but these are just Crispins. Fun fact: they're triploid. back to text
  3. I am deeply sorry about this one... I don't even eat pig back to text