So you’re interested in MIT. (Why else would you be reading these blogs) You’ve heard from various sources that things are hard, that people don’t sleep, and perhaps that Chris M. is pretty smooth with the ladies. So why should you spend $50,000 dollars/yr to come here?( Seriously, admit it, that’s more money than you’ve ever seen in person)
While there a bunch of reasons like cutting edge research blah blah blah you all know that stuff from the pamphlets you read over and over again (I’m on to you.). There is one reason that wasn’t clearly explained beforehand to me, even all the way up until it was happening. That awesomeness, my friends, is IAP.
IAP stands for Independent Activities Period, but it may as well stand for “Introduction to Awesome, Pshhaw!” (Ok, that may not be as good.)
The point is, IAP is great, you get a chance to explore and do things you don’t have time to do during the normal semester. What do I mean by that exactly? Well since you asked, here is a list of things I’ve done thus far for IAP not necessarily in chronological order:
1. Moved rooms
2. Played SNES games
3. Played Rock Band
4. Eat new places in Boston (EDIT: an important “at” was omitted leaving it to appear as though I have consumed some local areas. That is incorrect. It should read “Eaten at new restaurants in Boston” to avoid confusion)
5. Seen lots of movies (prior to this, the last time I went to a theater was July….)
6.Traveled to New Hampshire
7.Participated in Mystery Hunt
8.Read some books.
9. Taken a Physics course
10. played in the snow.
11. Played in the snow.
12. Played in the snow.
13. Stayed up all night for fun.
14. Woken up at 2:00 p.m. (new record!)
15. Made .001% progress on my personal goal of trying every flavor combination of Frozen Yogurt
16. Hooked up a Bose Home Theater System in my room.
And still more to come, after my final on Thursday, I’m headed to New Hampshire/Canada to celebrate my birthday with skiing/snowboarding/sledding/snowmobiling/falling down in the snow and then to Montreal for La Fete des Neiges de Montreal, one of the largest winter festivals in the world!
IAP is awesome!