MIT staff blogger Kris Guay

Important Information about your Financial Aid Application by Kris Guay

Track your status on MyMIT

Hi all,

Many of you have already filed your application for Financial Aid and that’s great!

Applications are handled through the Student Financial Services office (SFS). If you have questions, you should use this email: [email protected] or call 617-258-8600. Admissions officers won’t be answering questions about financial aid on this post because we’ll be in committee making decisions about Regular Action applicants and the comments will be closed.

But we did want you to know a few things:

You can now track the status of your financial aid application by logging in to MyMIT.

Students who have completed their applications by February 15th will receive their financial aid awards shortly after Regular Action admission decisions are made in mid-March.

You can still apply for aid after February 15th and it will not hurt your chances of receiving aid, but SFS cannot guarantee that they will have your award processed before May 1st. Applications are read in the order they are completed so the earlier your application is completed, the earlier you will have your financial aid award.

If your family has special circumstances or unusual expenses, or you have other information that will help SFS understand your financial situation more completely, please send a letter detailing that information to:

Student Financial Services
Room 11-120
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02139
Fax: 617-253-9859

Remember, January through April is peak financial aid application time so please be aware that it can take up to two weeks for the SFS office to receive and process your FAFSA or Profile applications. It can also take up to two weeks to process any documentation received by SFS. Please do not send documents multiple times!

Here’s a list of Financial Aid Deadlines & Required Documents on our site that may be helpful.