Knock On Wood by Bryan

Can I Graduate?

I promised I’d never pull an all nighter….my thesis is due tomorrow. We’ll see how close I stay on that contract.

More updates coming soon as the night progresses.

2:13 AM

I started rocking out in my Athena Cluster to:

Still going. I just had a DATA breakthrough. I want to hug someone.

3:57 AM

In Bed. Will wake up at 8 am and read it over one more time.

Good night everyone. I’ll post the final version of my thesis later.

24 responses to “Knock On Wood”

good luck!!! are you nearly done?

2. Lulu says:

Four years without an all-nighter is amazing! Good luck smile.

3. Jing says:

I don’t know if this is a quick question to answer, so most definitely feel free to hold off till you’ve got a bit more time. How does the undergrad thesis work? My mom’s phd students all have to defend their proposal, methodology, yadda yadda, before an advisor committee, so when you say it’s due, is it due for panel review or due to be handed in?

4. Jing says:

Pretty sure that your thesis will be outstanding, but good luck on that as well as maintaining your all-nighter-free record!

5. Don’t worry Bryan, Just take a calm breath, gather your thoughts, and just write. Then do the whole writing process thing. Either way, I’m sure it’ll be good. Good luck.

6. KantoKid'12 says:

i think i pulled an allniter in junior high…thats pretty sad :(

7. Arash says:

Hey! I’m done! How about you?

8. donaldGuy says:

I think I’ve pulled at least 4 or 5 all-nighters this year (junior year) … being a sociable nerd sucks. Most of my friends are just lazy and either take easy classes, don’t do the work, or both. All the other nerds battling it out for valedictorian (I say other .. cause I am one .. and I wear my nerd pride shirt I got from the COOP, with pride!) don’t procrastinate. I am the kid who takes really hard classes, makes straight A’s, but still procrastinates and does many other things .. its a hard job, but somebody’s got to do it

As the MIT saying goes: you can have good friends, good grades, and plenty of sleep. pick two. My choices are pretty clear … oh well, hopefully senior year will be much better.

Good luck with your thesis. Night all,
    ~Donald

9. FlameBird says:

GO GO GO!! :D

10. Paul '11 says:

Good luck Bryan! Sounds like the situation I’ll have tomorrow – uh, later tonight? – as I try and finalize everything for Intel ISEF…

11. JamesM says:

Best of luck. With hard work, I’m sure it’ll all turn out well.

12. I’ve never actually pulled an all-nighter — and I hope I never do (unless it’s for fun =) ). Good luck with your thesis! And just to echo the thoughts of some above me, when you’re done/rested, please explain how that process works =)

13. jenn'11 says:

the only time i ever had an all nighter was when i couldn’t fall asleep because i was too worried about all the things i had to do the next day. i made my sister stay up with me because she hadn’t gone back to school yet. i think i consumed a record breaking amount of caffeine (for me) the next day. i pretty much crashed when i got home. good thing it was a friday.

good luck with your thesis! maybe later you can post about the undergraduate thesis, and give us a sampling of yours?

14. I pulled an allnighter today!

(The fact that slept the whole day……………………
    is another story!!!!)

You can do it!!

But wow I can’t believe that you haven’t pulled an all-nighter before… I haven’t graduated from highschool yet and I’be easily pulled like 10, and like two times it was two nights in a row.. true.. after that you sleep like crazy… and today is looking all nighterish for me again… that’s what happens when you have your IB chem tomorrow and you still haven’t studied for it =(.

(It was not my fault though.. well not entirely)

So much inspiration to you… and good luck!

16. Arash says:

I know how you feel…. my History Research paper, a graduation requirement, is due tomorrow (today) at 5 pm. Yup. Good thing I don’t have class at all tomorrow by some freak lining of coincidences.

Yay! Go Bryan!

18. GK says:

“and today is looking all nighterish for me again… that’s what happens when you have your IB chem tomorrow and you still haven’t studied for it =(.”

HEY! I did my IB Chem paper 3 today; I’m all done! Hey did you feel that paper 1 for IB Chem HL was wayyy more difficult than it has been in the past? It was just a strange strange paper, nothing like I had seen doing past papers. Do others share my sentiments?

“HEY! I did my IB Chem paper 3 today; I’m all done! Hey did you feel that paper 1 for IB Chem HL was wayyy more difficult than it has been in the past? It was just a strange strange paper, nothing like I had seen doing past papers. Do others share my sentiments?”

Yep I felt that way too! There were a few odd questions on the paper 1 that did take time to figure out exactly what they were asking.

But I thought it was because I just couldn’t focus. First someone kept yelling, “The dog died… it diiieeed! It’s deaad!…” from a garden nearby school.

Then there was this persitent meowling throughout the test and it resulted that my ex-history teacher was chasing five kittens who were dumped at the school because he said they were “vile creatures.”

And then the gateman kept calling the names of the little kids who their parents had come to pick up early because of Mother’s Day…

20. deb says:

haha i love “living on a prayer.” its an amazing song. is the the bon jovi version? =)

21. GK says:

“Yep I felt that way too! There were a few odd questions on the paper 1 that did take time to figure out exactly what they were asking.”
    -Anonymous on May 12, 2007 01:23 AM

Ah hah! So it wasn’t just me =P Seriously, I saw the first question on P1 and I was just completely taken aback. I was expect an easy stoichiometry question, but IB had other ideas.

I have this theory (which many of my friends agree with): after last year’s Chem p1 mishap (they forgot to print a periodic table!), IB changed the test writing team so the style of questions are different than past papers.

I’m sorry to hear about the circumstances you had to take your exam under; hopefully it won’t affect your grade too adversely! =)

22. clomid says:

Very nice site!

23. Maia '11 says:

Woo Bryan!!! Four years, no all nighters! And at MIT, too!!! Someone give this man a prize.