MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Literature Tea & Mural Contest by Mitra L. '07

Artwork on cookies and walls.

On Monday, I went to an afternoon tea sponsored by Course 21L: Literature. The event (which occurs weekly!) is open to everyone, so even if you haven’t taken a literature class at MIT (which I haven’t), you should go. Professors Diana Henderson and John Hildebidle attended and chatted with us students about literature, science, and our summer plans. I talked with Teesa ’08 (Course 8: Physics) about Kiss of the Spider Woman, which she just read… in German. She and Sam ’07 should discuss its major themes… in German. She introduced me to her housemate (at Student House, one of MIT’s Independent Living Groups (ILGs)) Meenal (Course 10: Chemical Engineering), who is at MIT on the Cambridge-MIT Undergraduate Exchange.

Professor Henderson taught us the proper pronounciation of the word “scone” — apparently it does NOT rhyme with clone! She also observed that the frosting strewnover the cookies looked Pollack-esque; what do you think?
= ?

This reminded me of the Student Mural Project at the Stata Center.

“The Student Mural Project is a competition open to all MIT students. All submissions must be original two-dimensional creations. The winning design, chosen by a jury selected from the Stata Center, is reproduced as a high-quality wall-sized print and displayed on the Student Street in the Stata Center.

“This year’s jury consisted of representatives from Stata Center’s four departments: the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the Department of Linguistics & Philosophy, the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, and the Writing and Communication Center.”

The deadline is April 5th, 2006.

Here’s last year’s winner:

and the MIT News Office article, of course.

And finally, here’s one of the permanent pieces of artwork in Stata:

2 responses to “Literature Tea & Mural Contest”

1. Carmel says:

Last year’s mural winner is extremely cool. I’m a junior, going on the campus tour tomorrow morning. I was wandering around the Stata Center tonight and did a gigantic chalk drawing on one of the blackboards right by where you took that last picture!

Wow, those cookies look almost as good as the stata center. Did you do them yourself? I heard Jackson Pollock had some disorder where he really saw fractals instead of normal things, but maybe somebody who likes math just made that up.