“MIT Abounds With UROP Students” by Matt McGann '00

A photo spread about student research.

The most recent issue of MIT’s student newspaper The Tech had a nice spread about summer UROPs. UROP is MIT’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, and is the oldest and most extensive program involving undergraduate students doing real research. You’ll hear lots about UROP as you learn more about MIT.

You can read more about UROP from a student perspective on Melis’ blog, and read further about more actual student UROPs:

5 responses to ““MIT Abounds With UROP Students””

1. Sam Jackson says:

When my friend and I visited MIT and learned about UROP, we were struck dumb by its promise of such easy access to real research. We were very, very impressed with it; we went on a few more tours that week and as we sat next to each other writing on little 4x6s we would compare and contrast. We’d write “UROP? wink?” and then little sad faces next to it as each other institution failed to hold a candle to MIT’s excellently developed program. UROP sets the bar pretty darn high for undergraduate research, or at least that’s how it has seemed as I visit elsewhere.

2. Mollie says:

Not to be pedantic, but I believe Adam is my “fiance” with one e — I’m fairly sure he’s a boy. smile

3. Dan says:

My application tracking says there is no EC in my area so my interview’s been waived. Can this change? Is that final? just curious, thanks.

4. l0ngL says:

Greetings from Simmons Hall!

5. Hey all, I’m the Tech photographer that put together this spread and snapped the pictures. Its nice to see it’s getting attention by potential students and admissions bloggers.