MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

MIT in the news by Mitra L. '07

MIT research and hacks in Time Magazine & The Economist. (P.S. Bono visits!)

First up, The Economist profiled Professor Gruber‘s research on religion and wealth. Prof Gruber was my 14.41: Public Economics teacher this semester, a class I profiled here.

Last week, Time Magazine announced that its persons of the year are Bill and Melinda Gates and U2’s Bono.

In the photo essay that accompanied the article, they showed a picture from Bono’s visit to MIT to discuss poverty research.

Here’s Bono with Professor Banerjee, who taught me 14.74: Development Economics last Spring — I blogged it here. Also in this picture is Rachel Glennerster, the Executive Director of the Poverty Action Lab.

Bono (above) & Banerjee (below)

Finally, another article from The Economist — this one on “pranks”

I’m not sure how much I agree with the statement that hacks at MIT “are positively encouraged,” but they certainly are appreciated. Check out hacks.mit.edu for more, and here’s info on the book Nightwork

9 responses to “MIT in the news”

Wow, I can’t believe that this great entry has been up for a whole week without any comments. I had no idea that was your 14.74 professor; I’m so excited to be only 3 degrees of Bono!

2. jennifer says:

everytime I read about that “we suck” thing, I hear about a different school that did it to another school.

3. Rafael says:

What’s actually the story with this “we suck” thing? Whom is this hack addressed to?

So this article reports that the photo they print is from a Yale-Harvard game, though there could be more examples of this

5. Interesting. I’m three degrees of Richard Gere, two different ways.

6. Wait, I’m also two degrees thereof.

7. Michael says:

From what I understand, the “We Suck” prank was done by Yale to Harvard during a football game between the two.

They thought they were holding up signs that would read “Go Harvard”.

More info: http://www.harvardsucks.org

8. Joseph says:

Go Bono! He is indisputably the best!

9. Diamonds can be heated and enhanced or irridated. The rest of the ore is then used for industrial purposes braziliansecret com. So then why would a diamond merchant discount the price on a genuinely good quality diamond that is a billion years old. Regardless of the shape, you really need to look at the cut and if there is any damage to the diamond. Also watch out for cosmetic enhancements or synthetic diamonds. bjcinternational ca http://bjcinternational.ca/5000_accessories.htm