MIT student blogger Jess K. '10

Moving Out by Jess K. '10

oooh, I am, moving out, mmhmm..

At the end of last year, I transferred from Burton 2 to Burton 1, and while rooming in Burton-Conner is done on in a complex floor-by-floor system based upon class rank and whether you’ve lived in a double or single the previous term, I moved in last and thereby got put into a pretty tiny single. So tiny, in fact, that it’s called a “coffin single”, because you have just enough room to extend your arms all the way. Coffin singles are not for the claustrophobic, the faint of heart, or in this particular case, people who dislike the color purple because the girl before me happened to paint it a hearty violet shade.

Still, I like to decorate, so I did spruce it up a bit:

This picture really doesn’t adequately represent how small this room is. It’s smaller than my AP Chem teacher. She was like 4’3″. Basically, it was a pretty big step down from my double during freshman fall, but most people move out of doubles freshman year into singles if they choose to stay in the dorms (about 50% of MIT guys pledge fraternities, and a large percentage of them move into those houses). Still, mine wasn’t especially ideal, since it had a view of the other side of the dorm. The design is a pretty big downside to Burton-Conner – most of its residents can see most of its residents, and while that works out great for Marty’s dad in Back to the Future, my main purpose behind living in Burton-Conner is not checking out the ladies.

Fortunately, the senior who lives in the room around the corner from me moved out at the end of IAP, and the floor held re-rooming for her room specifically. And this entry would be really anticlimactic if I hadn’t gotten her room, so luckily, I did. You can all send Kaitlin thank you letters for saving the plot from certain death. (Although we could’ve buried it in my coffin single.)

First step to moving in: the room required a paint job. Getting to paint your room and walls is a pretty big upside to Burton-Conner (as well as in Senior Haus, East Campus, Bexley, and I believe Random?..), so although I’d moved twice before (from Next to Burton 2 to Burton 1) I was REALLY excited to get this new room. The coffin never really quite felt like mine, since I didn’t get to pick it or paint it, so I got to remedy that with the help of my dad (my parents were visiting that weekend) and Gillian ’10:

The pre-roomwarming party went through several stages: from just Gillian and I loudly singing Ingrid Michaelson, to Rich ’10 and Praveen ’10 serenading us, to a personal Ben ’11 concert (one of the most musically talented people I’ve ever met, Ben can play pretty much any instrument and pretty much any song, after listening to a few measures i.e. Hot in Herre on the acoustic guitar), to a tea party, to a cleaning party. People will be talking about the pre-roomwarming party of ’08 for YEARS, I swear.

A note on that back wall: Gillian and I couldn’t decide on a color for it, since I had a great teal color that went well with the light blue of the wall to the right (which I later used on that very wall, for the mural), but Gillian was a big fan of the light orange. So we both painted swatches and decided the swatches themselves looked cooler than just a solid color. The wall became a subject of great controversy between Gillian and my mom later that night.

They both, however, liked the mural:

That particular image (printed on a sweatshirt I bought last term) was the result of an internal struggle between that dinosaur and this dinosaur. I was initially leaning towards the latter because of my great affinity for sandwiches, but I went with the former because it seemed like it’d be a little easier to sleep under.

Ready to see the final room? I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly.

I HAVE A FLOOR NOW. I can flail my arms wildly about in circles FOR NO REASON! Man, it’s great. I know the photos don’t really represent it well, but you can sort of tell this room is a lot more spacious – in the first photo, my bed is lofted and the futon/chair are underneath, and the desk is basically a foot away from that entire structure (nicknamed the “PLANETARIUM FORT”.. the reason behind that is kind of a long story, but basically it implies I have a really small room). But here I have enough room to just put my shoes under my bed, and leave the futon and chair against the back wall.. so the “PLANETARIUM FORT” name no longer really applies.

Which is where you come in. What should I name the new room? Examples of other rooms on Burton 1 include “TREEHOUSE” (for the tree mural painted in the corner), “UNITED NATIONS” (for its diverse residents) and “LOVECAVE” (for obvious reasons). Right now I’m thinking “JURASSIC PARK”, but I’m definitely open to suggestions.

So those are the new digs. Coming soon: Burton 1 Cribs, an inside look at the other super sweet rooms on my floor! (Also an entry about the classes I’m taking this term – I’m cross-registering two at Harvard – and Ring Premiere, which on Monday. I’m personally more excited than Evan.) Speaking of my floor, the boys surprised all the girls yesterday with valentines on their doors:

I almost died from the cuteness; seriously, nearly went into cardiac arrest. Hope your Valentine’s Days were all similarly lethal! (Send me your room suggestions. It’ll be your Valentine’s Day gift to me. Also, questions!)

45 responses to “Moving Out”

1. Stressed Out says:

Wow Jess your room looks really nice! Congrats on the move!

2. Isabel says:

Quite lovely. Is that awesome Rilo Kiley poster in the new room?

3. Jess says:

Yeah, it’s just on a wall facing away from the picture so you can’t see it here. I would never leave it behind!

4. Steph says:

I love your room! The colors give it so much personality. You have inspired me to paint my bedroom (I’m getting tired of the white/peachy wall color).

YOUR ROOM IS TOO AWESOME!!

I only convinced my parents to let me paint my ceiling blue. I added some Glow-In-Dark stars so it looks really pretty at night!

6. Jayne says:

I first I blanched at the colours, and then after looking at it for a while, I thought it was genius smile

and aww, that valentine is SO SWEET!

7. Binga says:

lol..do the boys of burton look like walruses?

8. Jess says:

DUDE. KEN. IT WAS REALLY SMALL.

(OK I haven’t taken a survey of all the college single sizes in the area but it’s the smallest on my floor! IT’S REALLY SMALL!)

9. Hyun Jin says:

At least 3 people have mentioned this already, but just to second.. fourth them, the Charmander doll is the first thing that attracted my attention. Hurrah for lizards!

10. Adelaide '09 says:

Hi Jess,

I don’t know if you remember me — I live on Conner 2 and am friends with Sam. But that’s not excessively relevant. I’m just commenting because although I don’t read your blog that often, I’m glad I did this time because I LOVE LOVE LOVE that Rilo Kiley poster in your room. It’s amazing and I now want one of my very own. You have excellent taste. Uh, yeah, that was about it. smile

Have a nice weekend!

11. Libin Daniel says:

How about Canvas? or Colors? because your room is really chromatic!
    Hey, how about Chromatic?

12. Sid says:

I just heard about the NIU shooting. Tragic, really. Let’s take a moment out for all those hurting…

13. Chris B. '12 says:

I *heart* the pokemon plushie. That just made my night.

14. Ginger says:

I love your room! Specifically, the walls, the futon, the Charmander, and the boots. And that valentine is too cute! The last time I stayed in a coed dorm for camp, all the guys did for us was switch around the door signs and spray us with shaving cream every once in a while.

15. Masud says:

The room’s walls are pretty gr8! Awesome artwork! Yes, I am a pokemon fan as well but charmander isn’t the best starter pokemon, sorry to say, ’cause everyone knows squirtle is the best! Apart from being cute and whatnot, Blastoise( squirtle’s final evolution) can take out both Charizard and Venusaur with ease( Surf and Ice Beam anyone?!) Well I chose Bulbasaur anyways when I first got pkmn red…fyi…why did just say all of this….i don’t know…

16. Oasis says:

Wow, I think this my favorite entry out of all your blogs. The color coordination is brilliant.

Also, people generally have remarked on the cuteness of everything else already, but I just want to say that your Charmander plushie is definitely one of the cutest plushies I’ve seen, and I’ve definitely seen quite a few (I’m always on the look out for them, hahaha)

17. MIT kids are really spoiled. Your “coffin single” is larger than most singles at other schools. This is why I love MIT. Even if we don’t have a meal plan, we have fantastic rooms. The size of my double at Simmons is the size of my friend’s Quad at Northeastern.
    smile

18. Christina says:

1) I know those boots.
    2) Saying, “I don’t think you’re ready for this jelly” was a premiere choice.
    3) Kat Kam never did like mixing of the colrs (Kamber, you are THE ONLY ONE who will get this. and even then, maybe not. but think red.)

jessrassic park XD

20. omar '10 says:

that’s hot, you should help me decorate my room smile

-omar

21. Shruthi says:

I love the dino mural :D Its super cute! :D

22. Paul says:

Hydro Pump rocks the socks off of Surf anyday.

Just sayin’.

23. Isshak says:

A pokemon ? lol that was unexpected. (At least you’re not going for the obvious one…)

24. Aditi says:

=)

the room looks gorgeous!

more pictures please!

yay! Burton Cribs!

Those colors are so amazing that they make my eyes throw up. I’d suggest Dinosaurange County if the word Dinosaurange weren’t so darned awkward.

Man, Burton One. It seems like such a cool place to be, but I’m afraid to feel anything about any of the dorms until I actually get to MIT.

26. Paul says:

Char. Char char. Charmander!

Way to pick my favorite (original) starter Pokemon. wink

27. Masud says:

Well hydro pump does have a higher power BUT it has a lesser accuracy and pp. Thus, surf which is much more accurate and has a lot of pp and power ,once STABed (since blastoise is water type), coming of Blastoises Special attack will leave any pkmn with hydrophobia in a realllly messed up state…that’s why i have surf vs Hydro pump anyway, although the animation for hydro pump is much cooler… Oooh and surf hits both of the opponents pokemon in a double battle…GAH! there I go again, rambling on incessantly and unnecessarily to no one in particular… Paul perhaps, lolz

28. Caveman says:

I look at that and just think “The Cave”….

29. Davorama says:

Creamsicle. or however that should be spelled.

30. wendysung626 says:

Your room is so cute!!!
    Happy Valentine’s Day! (even though it’s kind of late)

31. z4lis says:

Charmander? omfgepic. ^_^

32. Hawkins says:

Wow, congrats on moving! The new room is awesome. You should name it JURASSIC PARK 2. Why? Because there is no Jurassic Park 2.

33. Judy H. says:

CHAAAARRRRZARD PLUSHYYYYYYYY CHAAAARRRRZARD PLUSHYYYYYYYY <3 <3

I second jessrassic park…

35. Samujjal says:

How about ‘The Lost Room’ or ‘The Dinoville’??

Hmmm…. I’ll think and come up with a few more.

36. E. Rosser says:

If you’re going to name the room after Charmander there, why not “The Pokemon Dome”? It’d be a universal ’90’s reference that would bring nostalgia to all who experience it…
    “Jurasic Park is cool too, though: includes the California Dino.

37. Monica says:

LOVE THE ROOM!! i especially love the the paint on the walls, and is that charmander i see?

38. Isshak says:

Why not name your room : Jessilicious ? Or Jesstylish ?

I’m applying for class of 2012 after getting rejected last year for Class of 2011.Does the admissions comitee have records of all the documents frm my application last year? Would you also take my old teacher’s recommendations from last year or just the new ones .

40. Logan says:

Bahhh!!!!!!!!!!

41. Logan says:

appreciate the paintngs, cool and unique !!

Bham Bham Ba Ba Bo Bo Be !!!
    Do Do Do Di Da Di Do Do Do Ohhhh yeah !!!
    Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, the beats of a song are still in my mind !!!

42. Val says:

Hotel California