MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

NM – u? by Mitra L. '07

Sometimes there just isn't that much crazy in my life. Splish splash.

Most of my weeks at MIT have been crazy and cool and full of interesting things about which I can’t wait to blog. The rest of the weeks, though, are less jam-packed. I just go about my routine – running, reading, meetings – and spend my nights awake with worry about how little I have to blog.

Last Wednesday, I knew it was supposed to snow pretty much all day, so I curled up in Hayden with Moll Flanders.

I usually sit up on the second floor, near the M-Z section of “Current Periodicals” so I can treat myself to New York Magazine during my breaks. Also, here I get an amazing view of Memorial Drive, the Charles River, and Boston.

There are also several small balcony sections from which you can get a nice view of the whole second floor.

At night, I put on my totally awesome red rainboots and trudged to the BPL (Boston Public Library) for the John Adams exhibit. I have to admit, it is pretty nifty to watch other people try to tiptoe around and hopscotch over these giant puddles when I just stomp right through them. I guess Lord Acton was right – absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Around Copley Square I saw a news crew filming, and since my secret life goal #11 is to get on television, I made a big show jumping in the puddles with the hopes of getting on the evening news. No such luck. The news anchor smiled and waved at me, but the person I was with obviously thought I was nuts.

So I realize that the first paragraph of this entry makes it sound like I didn’t find the John Adams exhibit exciting, which is not true. It’s just not MIT-related excitement. There was lots of Ivy League drama at the exhibit:

For present-day Ivy League drama, check out IvyGate. (Let’s see how long I can keep this link up before I get in trouble. Ready…. Go!)

31 responses to “NM – u?”

1. Solomon says:

Mitra don’t forget you promised to blog about your blog photo that you took in Zambia.
    More pictoblogs, they are definitely exciting.

2. milena says:

Ha!! that IvyGate thing is totally brilliant! I never thought stuff like that happens at ivies… wow, Mitra, I don’t even know you and I like you already! Gossip is soo fun! lol

Ah, Moll Flanders, the perfect Valentine’s day reading. Did you follow her example and make Cyrus your valentine?

hey, Ashwini Gupta u sound lik an Indian can i hav ur e-mail ID

Mitraa… You seriously ROCK!! Xena??

6. Nick says:

Hi mitra, i love reading ua articles. Nowadays i make sure i browse ua blog daily thanks to packet data technology and er…you. That combination makes my days bearable especialy on occasions like the other week when i learnt that some scientists were developing a bee shaped flying spy similar to thd robotic flyspy i’ve been developing.

7. Nick says:

8. mitraa, r u an indian ??

ARE YOU AN INDIAN ??

10. Hey people, try this riddle. It was written by Einstein during the 19th century. He said 98% of the world could not solve it. Are you among the 2%?? Find out for yourself.

Here is the riddle:

There are 5 houses in 5 different colors. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The 5 owners drink a certain type of beverage, smoke a certain brand of cigar, and keep a certain pet. No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar, or drink the same beverage.
    The question is: Who owns what?

You people need these CLUES so..

• The Brit lives in the red house.

• The Swede keeps dogs as pets.

• The Dane drinks tea.

• The green house is on the left of the white house.

• The green homeowner drinks coffee.

• The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds. .

• The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.

• The man living in the center house drinks milk.

• The Norwegian lives in the first house.

• The man who smokes Blend lives next to the one who keeps cats.

• The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.

• The owner who smokes Bluemaster drinks beer. .

• The German smokes prince.

• The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.

• The man who smokes Blend has a neighbor who drinks water.

Try harder.. Post in your answers here itself.. will send the answer soon..

11. Hey people, try this riddle. It was written by Einstein during the 19th century. He said 98% of the world could not solve it. Are you among the 2%?? Find out for yourself.

Here is the riddle:

The question is: Who owns what?

You people need these CLUES so..

• The Brit lives in the red house.

• The Swede keeps dogs as pets.

• The Dane drinks tea.

• The green homeowner drinks coffee.

• The German smokes prince.

Try harder.. Post in your answers here itself.. will send the answer soon..Hey Mitra.. you too!!

12. Karen says:

I was wondering. What exactly does one do with an economics major?

13. Amjad says:

you know what, I’m just wondering how does it feel like to be “class of ’07” and in the year of 2007?? I’m not sure but I think I would get really disappointed if I were you Mitra…

14. Melissa '11 says:

Challenger – go look on the previous blog, I posted my answers there.

15. anonymous says:

ohoh i think it’s supposed to be NMR!

16. Annette says:

Hey Challenger to MIT brains,
    You’ve missed the fifth pet;the fish!
    I’ve worked it a long time back and I’ve got the answers.( Can I give them!)

Would you believe it,my kid brother did it when he was nine. And he did it in less than an hour and half. I was 11 then. It took me 2 solid hours to do it. (MY BRO ROCKZ! smile wink)

17. paniz says:

dear mitra
    hi
    I’m paniz .an iranian girl .

I study biology in tehran university

Are u iranian?

plz tell meeeeeeee

18. raife says:

hi i am raife from bangladesh.ru indian…………
    or asian………..
    iwana ur edcational background.

19. I am from india, bujhle brother raife, ami banglate kotha boli.. he he tumio nischoy banglate kotha boloe :D

20. khatereh says:

That is wonderful!

21. Mengying says:

hello,nice to know you here.Can we be friends?i wanna know more about America,because i’m going to be there for further study
    you have nice pics,good luck
    Lin

22. dr says:

hi mitra,
    i am thinking about applying to mit nxt year. wat sat score did u get ? and are you indian

23. bhushan says:

hey MITra
    u know what ur name means friend in marathi
    i.e
    MITra==friend

Jai Maharashtra

24. Om says:

hii this is Om .. well after appearing for SAT , is there any other exam that has to be cleared for the entrance?

will wait for your response,
    yahoo id : justlove_romeo123

25. Om says:

will wait for your response,
    yahoo id : justlove_romeo123

hi mitra i am from india,far away, my dream i to study at mit as undergraduate,in aeronautical engineering or automobile engineering.please guide me ,tell me all the details,about
    1 entrance test
    2 preparing for entrance
    3 reference books to crack mit entrance test
    4 date of test ,applications
    5 admission criteria for international student,as i m an indian
    6 financ
    I THINK I CAN DO IT AT ANY RATE.I CAN DO A LOT OF HARDWORK.BUT ALL I REQURE THE INFORMATION.
    SEND ME AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE.YOU ARE A GOOD GUY
    I AM NOT KIDDING,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SEND

27. ASHUTOSH says:

1 entrance test
    2 preparing for entrance
    4 date of test ,applications
    6 financ

28. om, there’s the toefl, if your (oooh today i am having to many typos) L1 isn’t english, and SAT subject.

Best Wishes for your Application wink