Other summer programs by Matt McGann '00

A further list of some terrific math & science summer programs for high school juniors to consider.

Since my earlier post on MIT’s summer programs was linked from the MIT homepage today, I’ve been getting lots of traffic interested in summer programs. To that end, here is a further list of some terrific math & science summer programs for high school juniors to consider. All of the below are national/international, selective, multi-week, residential summer programs in math & science.

Science & Research programs

Math programs

Women’s programs

Programs open to out-of-state; largely regional

State Governor’s schools

11 responses to “Other summer programs”

1. shikhar says:

Matt,

Just wanna say one thing…YOU ARE THE MAN.

2. Tristan says:

I would like to add another summer program to that list: The Clark University Summer Science Program

http://www.clarku.edu/admissions/specialprograms/summerscienceprogram/index.cfm

It may not be very well known or prestegious, it is certainly an excellent program. It is (obviously) Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts that organises this program, and the nice things about it is that room and board are entirely funded by the university, and that it is open to international applications (as opposed to many of the above mentioned).

As an international student who does not live in the country he is originally from (I am from the Netherlands, but I’m living in Malaysia at the moment), I had some extra troubles applying to the mentioned programs that accept international students, but through a different application process. I found out about Clark University’s summer program, and was accepted(only 20 students get accepted, i went last summer, in 2005). It turned out to be one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. I learned a lot about science obviously, including stuff like hands-on crystallography and PCR, and that it was actually possible to do research before you enter a graduate program in the United States (which is very uncommon in the countries I have lived). The most important thing that I learned however was how great it is to be around people who are genuinely interested in science and study it not to get a good grade, but just because they want to learn it (This is also a reason I applied to places like MIT, because I am hoping to meet these kinds of people there, who go to university because they enjoy learning, as apposed to only trying to get a degree). They are some of the best friends i have ever made and I

3. Leslie says:

I know this has nothing to do with this post, but I have a question:

I’m an accepted EA student, and I was wondering how freshman orientation works and if you have the dates. I don’t want my summer plans to conflict.

Thanks!

4. Are there any program for international students?

Stanford math camp is for international students. about 1/4 of students at the camp are international

HCSSiM also accepts internationals, I believe

7. sekunder says:

People I met at HCSSiM 04: one (1) guy from Belgium (who is currently attending university in Canada, I think), and one (1) girl with dual citizenship in Israel and the US.

HCSSiM does take international applicants smile

8. oake says:

Hi Matt, do you know of any programs for seniors/rising college freshmen in research or science and math, in general?

Hi, Alex.

Kit is a US citizen, right? He just studies in London?

10. there’s also Pre-College @ Carnigie Mellon in Pittsburg… they’ve got three or 4 different programs for different types of people/focuses.

11. Tristan says:

Juan Jhong Chung, please read the comment above that i have written. It’s about a program open to international students. I’m starting to wonder how could you have missed the humongous block of text I wrote.