Post-Valentine Blog Roundup by Matt McGann '00

Valentine's Day capped off by a serenade.

Valentine cards? Check.
Expensive jewelry? Check.
Yummy chocolate? Check.
Dating? Check.
A wedding engagement? Check.
A little bit of class? Check.

And a serenade? Check!

Thanks to our secret admirers, the Admissions Office received a wonderful serenade from the beautiful and talented Muses.

Left: The Muses serenade us, as Stu, Edmund, Jenny and Amy look on. Right: Mari and Gisele watch the serenade.

Also related to Valentine’s Day: did you know that those little candy hearts with sayings on them (e.g. “Be Mine,” “Sweet Talk,” and, yes, “Email me”), until 2002 were made at the Cambridge headquarters of NECCO (the New England Confectionery Company), right next to MIT’s Random Hall dormitory? Ah, many of my finest memories of walking to class in the morning from my dorm were on days when the wind was blowing just right so that you’d get a sweet candy smell the entire stroll. Actually, Cambridge was once the center of America’s candy universe, with 32 candy factories (including those for Tootsie Roll, Necco Wafers, and Squirrel Nut Zippers) in the city. Sadly, many of those have moved; NECCO moved to a nearby Boston suburb several years back (its site is now home to Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, so while the sweet toothed students are sad, those looking for even more in the way of biomedical internships are quite happy). Tootsie Roll, however, is still made just off MIT’s campus, and it is a nice treat to smell their candy goodness while walking the streets of our fair city.

Hope you had a happy Valentine’s Day!

8 responses to “Post-Valentine Blog Roundup”

1. Fadl says:

Cool. Thx Matt I never knew that Cambridge was once the center of America’s candy universe that’s really interesting. Too bad most have left but look at the bright side Tootsie roll is still there. smile

2. Mercedes says:

I need ur help!! Where should I send the financial aid application????

Thank you very much!!

[email protected]

3. Hey Matt!

I had one question.

On the intl. admissions page, it’s said that the recommended course work for an MIT applicant includes, among other things, Biology.

In the Indian CBSE system, since I am definite I am going to pursue engineering, I have not chosen Biology in grades 11 and 12, but instead taken Computer Science.

Will this work against me in the application?

Regards

Prashant Malani

4. shikhar says:

No it wont..as itis recommended 2 years of high school phy/chem/bio..basically even if u dont have science in the last 2 years MIT doesnt hold it against you. They get a lot of Indian applications you know (sort of more than neccesary)so dont worry.

5. This is where I sent our financial aid forms. Found it on a Financial aid office web page.

Good Luck!

Student Financial Aid Office, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 5-119, Cambridge, MA 02139

6. Harish says:

Hey,

I heard that the headquarters of Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream in in the New England area. Is it close to MIT?

7. fudge says:

I like all your links–makes it seem like wikipedia, which, by the way, is awesome!

8. jt says:

once upon a way back one of you, matt, you, someone wrote on these blogs ‘keep in touch with MIT even tho you may did not get EA. it shows that you are still interested. in what way? phone calls? blog postings? now that RA is underway, does any of that matter anymore, the extended keeping in touch, or do we all sit back and breathe deeply and relax until mid march…..?