MIT staff blogger Chris LaBounty

Random Post While Reading Apps. by Chris LaBounty

Because we need some new posts...

I’m sitting at my desk in my robe right now.

I’m on my 5th cup of coffee.

I ate some Count Chocula. Nice visual.

For those not familiar with the life of the Admissions Counselor at MIT, here it is: We get applications, we get a lot of applications. We then need to read those applications – and since we have so many to read, we often find it more efficient to do it at home. That’s why I’m here.

So, I’m taking a break because I need to post something. The blogs have been dormant for a few days – but for good reason. Have you read Lydia’s post? Get on it here. I hope when you’re done, you realize, that whatever you’ve prioritized in your life, none of that is more important than your health. I also hope you realize that if you need help, there are good people out there who are willing to help – no strings attached.
What else is going on around here? Let’s see. I have four windows open:

1.) One has an EA application I’m reading. (He’s an interesting guy – big into Chess.)

2.) Another is TextWrangler – which I use to take notes about prospective students I’m reading. (And write this.)

3.) The third is Chrome, where I’m now searching around for a new text editor that supports my retina display resolution. (recs?)

4.) The fourth is also Chrome – where I’m doing some research about my India trip. I’m going next week. Nice little trip to Mumbai for 4 days, Delhi for 2 days, and Gujarat for about a week. (GF’s family background.) You might ask why I’m going to India for such a short amount of time? Well, the answer is that taking vacation in the peak of application reading season is about the silliest thing an Admissions Counselor can do. Its a long story.

Ok, I need to get back to reading. I have a lot of apps to read – so do me a favor. Be yourself. I don’t want to read your grandma’s essay that sounds like it should be entered in a fiction contest.

“The horse’s shimmering mane glistened with sea spray as we galloped along the edge of the pink sand – the concerns of the world blowing through my hair, never to be reacquired.” (This isn’t real, I just totally made this up, but you get the point.)

What’s wrong with, “I love horses. We have one named Ted. Ted and I get along great because we both like the beach”?

I guess this is just a question of style. If the first example is more your speed then by all means go for it. I meant it when I said I wanted you to be yourself.

See you later,

Labs