MIT student blogger Jess K. '10

07/07/07 by Jess K. '10

Speaking of numbers: the number seven in particular, brought to you by the birthday of a century.

Saturday, 07/07/07, was my birthday! I usually don’t plan anything big in advance for my birthday – no one’s ever around to celebrate, so I got into an early habit of ignoring it. After I turned 7 on 07/07, it seemed like it was just downhill from there. Except I forgot about 07/07/07, which of course translates to THE BIRTHDAY OF THE CENTURY.

(Regardless of your beliefs about the number 7.)

I took this as a challenge to transform those 24 hours into the best ever. Actually, I slept through quite a bit of those 24 hours, but that just makes the time that I was awake that more special, right?

My first thought was to go skydiving. It turns out, though, that you need a reservation in order to go skydiving, and by the time I had actually gotten around to planning out 07/07/07 it was about 11:59 PM on 07/06/07, because I am a baaad baad procrastinator (bad bad bad – don’t do this at home, kids). Then my friend Ashley suggested that I do seven things to commemorate this fortuitous day.

“Like what?” “I dunno, seven.. meaningful things.”
With that helpful advice in mind, I came up with this list:

1. Skydiving
2.

“No. No, we’re just going backwards. We need something fresh. Something better than before. Something better, stronger… faster. Wait, am I quoting ‘The Six Million Dollar Man’ again? When did that happen?”

Somewhere in between quoting 70s movies and actually discussing what I should do for my birthday, it was decided that I would eat seven different meals at seven new and different places over the course of the day. It would be a momentous undertaking, but I could do it. My stomach was feeling primed and ready.

After all, it was 07/07/07. And if you aren’t celebrating the day of the century with copious amounts of food, you need to rethink your definition of a celebration. So Ashley and I (because you should always bring backup whenever you are attempting a task of this magnitude) thus embarked upon a whirlwind food tour all over the Bay Area. We began with breakfast!

1. Alamo Cafe: breakfast in PJs.

After sleeping through half the day (what’d I tell you? best birthday ever, right?), we headed off for breakfast in our pajamas to a tiny diner, at which Ash and I both ordered mouse pancakes.

We thought we’d start small and order from the kids’ menu, but it turned out they were bigger than my face. They were incredibly delicious, but it made me slightly rethink my plan. I’d have to go for smaller portions in order to increase my endurance.

2. Brass Bear Deli: this would be lunch number one.

3. Coldstone Creamery: cleansing the palate with Strawberry Blonde. Notice the enthusiasm is still present.

4. Dog, The: lunch number two-ish was garlic fries. Did you know there are no garlic fries on the east coast? It’s not like they don’t have fries, and it’s not like they don’t have garlic. It just never occurred to anybody over there to combine the two. It also never occurred to anybody (and included in “anybody” in particular are the people who build restaurants in the MIT Student Center) to build an In-N-Out, which in my humble opinion is a VERY SAD MISTAKE.

Anyway, whilst eating very intensely garlicky garlic fries and feeling full to the brim with celebratory joy, I started to get a bit nervous. I wasn’t even eating complete meals – they were more like courses, and with much help from Ash – and yet I was beginning to feel my pants stretching, barely halfway through. Luckily I had worn stretchy pants. But there were still three more places to get through, and I began to wish I was skydiving.

4. Extreme Pizza: we weren’t sure if it was “xtreme pizza” or “extreme pizza”, but luckily, it was the latter, so it worked out. Unluckily, we asked us for one slice and they gave us two. On any other day, it would have been a bonus slice. On this day, it was a death sentence.

#5 proved to be the low point of the day, even though the pizza was excellent.

We very much needed a little break from all the joyful celebrating, so we went to the nearest mattress store and crashed on the Tempur-Pedic® mattresses. We were briefly accosted by the salesman, but averted his probing questions (“Can I help you ladies?” “We’re just trying out a new mattress for school,”) because he clearly did not know that MIT rooms come fully furnished, beds and all. (I do, however, suggest a mattress pad, i.e. Memory Foam. MIT’s mattresses are most definitely not Tempur-Pedic®.)

Our napping almost made us miss the dinner party at Fuzio. We did, as a matter of fact, eat at 7 PM. WITH SEVEN PEOPLE. Pretty epic how that worked out, eh?

6. Fuzio: party on, Wayne!

Sadly, Ash and I were both in such a food coma that we were unable to order anything more than the “small salad”, which we of course split. It was sort of tragic, but everybody else seemed to enjoy my birthday dinner, and that’s what counts, right?

7. Gelateria Naia: some may say this is not different from Coldstone. I have nothing to say to those people.

Well, we made it, and it was memorable indeed. I’m a little disappointed in myself that I hit food coma so early, but with such little preparation I don’t think I could’ve stretched it much further. If I do happen to be alive for the next 07/07/07, though, I’ll definitely start training a few days before. If that tiny Japanese guy can eat 60+ hot dogs, why can’t I manage a few meals?

Or maybe next time I’ll just go for the skydiving.

36 responses to “07/07/07”

1. Intl. '11 says:

Happy birthday for Saturday! It sounds like it was an epic day.

2. Happy Belated Birthday!!!
    I am also a Cancarian….though I was sick on my birthday!!

Ankit Chandra

3. Jess says:

Sorry to hear that, Ankit! I was sick on my birthday two years ago. I’m of the opinion that you’re allowed to do whatever you want when you’re sick, including watching really really bad movies, so I watched Charlie’s Angles: Full Throttle. I think that might have actually made me sicker.

4. Hank R. says:

Haha. I love the face progression from joyful to worried, to coma’d, to sad, to relatively happy again.

5. Wings '11 says:

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!
    Sounds like you had a GREAT ONE.
    I hope you are over your food coma =)

6. Angus says:

Happy Birthday! smile

Se7en is darker wink

My favorite part is that you pulled the colors from tables, shirts, and signs for the first letter in the name of every restaurant.

Happy Birthday! Hope you’re less coma’d now!

OMG! I just went back and looked at the pictures again and noticed what shirt you’re wearing after your first meal! I love that shirt! I think I’ll end every sentence with an exclamation mark just because I like that shirt a lot!

9. one '11 says:

happy belated birthday. it seems it was great! smile

because snively drew my attention to it, i went up again and deciphered the tiny scribbles on your shirt.

LOOOOL I love it too! :D :D

10. mike says:

dude, it was my birthday too! except mine added to my age 7+7+07=21!!! happy birthday co-birthday buddy!

-mike

11. javi says:

jessIca alli can say is man what a fatasslicious birthday you had.

12. Paul '11 says:

I love the last picture. Figures that you would rope all your friends into mimicking your corny pose. raspberry

Oh, and happy belated birthday. :D

13. ZouLi says:

生日快乐~~~

14. Rose says:

I am going to be completely un-original and side with Snively on the matter that that is an amazingly awesome shirt!!!

And when will your course sign change to course 5?

15. Christine says:

I have that shirt =)

16. Ashley says:

hahahahahah HURRAH!!!

17. Keri says:

Oh, Fragger. I love you.

So much food! So much amazingness! So little stomach capacity!

18. Nina says:

“On any other day, it would have been a bonus slice. On this day, it was a death sentence.”

Jessica S. Kim, I love you. (I added the middle initial for emphasis.)

I am glad you had an epic birthday. I am very glad that you did it in a nerdy 5.60 t-shirt. raspberry AND THE EAST COAST SHOULD FRIGGIN’ HAVE IN-N-OUT BURGERS ALREADY. Seriously.

19. oasis '11 says:

Haha smile

I loved how the portion sizes decreased steadily down =p

20. Sam Jackson says:

May you live to 7/7/77! and then some

21. oasis '11 says:

And ABCDEFG in your letters!! Am I the last person to notice this? LOL. =____=

22. christie says:

but why are the restaurants A through G?? you also never mention it, only show it in the photo captions :(

23. Grace '11 says:

seven cheers for stretchy pants!

24. Grace '11 says:

zero cheers for quintuple posting and lame internet connections.

25. Kristin '11 says:

Toothpaste for Dinner!! Yay!

26. Sid says:

Hey,
    I m Sid and i currently reside in Australia. I had a question in regards to the last date that we can take the SATs on. Although the timeline states that the last month is December, some one in the previous blog stated that January test scores were also acceptable. I have my year 12 exams in December and would therefore prefer to them in January. I know that MIT doesnt place a great strain on SATs, however, MIT is probably not the only university i will be applying to. So i was just wondering if you would be able to give me a heads up on whether i can take the SATs in January and whether this would deter my application in any way.

Cheers,
    Sid

@Sid

They accept January SAT scores on a case by case basis, meaning that you’d have to write a letter to Stu Schmill explaining why it was necessary for you to wait that long to take the test.

@Sam

Yep, you’re right, no fresh beef for east coasters (or me for that matter). It appears that Oregon is too far away as well.

28. José P. says:

«And ABCDEFG in your letters!!» —Oasis ’11

Genius, JKim, Genius. :O

29. Sid says:

Thanks Michael! I shall write a letter as soon as the application is out and see what happens.

Sid

So I hear that the reason there are no In and Out on the East Coast is because all the beef is shipped fresh, never frozen, from some warehouse in Arizona or New Mexico or one of those states, so they can only expand to places that are within driving distance of there.

my birthday was 06/06/06… it was scary

32. Josh says:

You know Jess, the Japanese hot dog eating guy got tendonitis in his jaw from his hot dog eating antics… but then again, he beat a friggin kodiak grizzly bear. I mean, DAMN.

33. Monica says:

sorry this is late, ok really late.. but Happy Birthday Jess!! hope everything went well =]

34. Jared says:

Yeah… In & Out here in Boston would be a death sentence for my arteries. When I went home to visit I must have eaten there about 3x times, where x is an appropriate number of meals per day.

Happy Birthday… well, a bit late, of course.

35. Brendan says:

Late, but happy birthday. Had to say it, as I share the same one.

36. DavidChen says:

Much sorries for the missing of the birthday, miss jk
    Glad to see you got so many good eats, though. Toodles!