MIT student blogger Shannon M. '12

Snow snow snow. by Shannon M. '12

I'm wearing bright colors so if I get caught in a snow drift someone will find me.

An email I just sent out to my sorority:

from: Shannon
to: Theta
date: Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM
subject: Snow snow snow.

So I’m from West Michigan, which gets some of the most snow in the US, right? Our standards for getting school off were really high- and even WE would have had a snow day today. Current tally:

OFF- BU, Northeastern, Berklee, Tufts
DELAYED- BC, the Harv
BUSINESS AS USH: MIT

fml.

View from my window onto a main thoroughfare this morning when I woke up at 7:30:

snow

I am seriously going to drown in snow on my way to class. If I never post again, you now know why.

EDIT1, 8:37am: Burton Conner’s fire alarm just went off. Seriously, now.

EDIT2, 9:09am: http://wbztv.com/schoolclosings#College Really?

27 responses to “Snow snow snow.”

1. Ruhban Shah says:

Nice view!!!–forgive the type–just came back giving my finals…,

Every college and its mother has no class today . . . except the masochistic institute of technology.

I dunno, I’m underimpressed. I mean, I guess the roads are pretty bad, but I’m not seeing anywhere near the 10+ inches we were threatened with.

P.S. I would still, however, obviously love to have the day off…

It takes at least 25 inches over two days to get snow day at MIT. There were 2 between 2003-2006 and they were enormous storms.

6. love the snow…the combination of horrendous amounts of PSETS, snow, and the occasional all-nighter makes me love MIT EVEN MORE!!!!

7. Off all the potential snow days, we’ve only gotten half a day this year. At the same time, we’ve had record snowfall…
    The standards have only gotten higher…Boston can’t be that bad.
    On the bright side, that’s a lot of snow for a snowman smile

8. Sheila '13 says:

wow, dang. no snow days for MIT. lol

9. Cam says:

I’m in the “jackpot” 15″ zone, here in MA. I just woke up, looked out my window, and see only a few inches on the roof.

Yeah, it’s not looking all that bad out there.

10. tiffany says:

Wow, even NYC public schools are off and we’re NEVER off! First snow day in five years.

11. Stacy says:

I was watching the news and saw that many colleges in the area had no school. When the M’s came up, and I didn’t see MIT, I lol’d.

12. TorffickA says:

In NYC we only got about 1-3” of snow and there have been like red alerts(lmao) and major school closing.

The fact that MIT has school open amidst this inclement danger i.e. a lot of snow, is surprising.
    Maybe they said “hey, these are mit students, if they get swept away by the snow they’ll device intellectual means to survive”
    ….
    o_o

13. Oasis '11 says:

The instructor for the only class today that had mandatory attendance (language class) got sick today, and because I didn’t have to go to class anymore, I celebrated by taking the rest of the day off. smile

14. Isra says:

the snow looks scary…!
    MIT is tough! Oh well, so is life smile

15. Claire '13 says:

Heyyyy, does anyone know anything regarding when EA admits (who have all their forms in) will receive financial aid awards?

16. Steph '13 says:

@Claire ’13

I think we get aid when the regular decisions go out, but don’t quote me on this.

Sweet, MIT totally gets more days off than we do (assuming Anonymous was correct) and we’re about 30 miles to the north. The last snow day my school had was the Blizzard of ’78 and that’s only because they had to use the students to shovel the roofs that were about to cave in. Even if the state is closed, the admin send out emails saying “Day students use caution, boarders get to class, but first shovel out your dorm.”

17. Matt A. says:

Heh, we need like 3/4 of an inch to get out in Memphis. In the surrounding counties, all that needs to happen is for someone remotely credible to say the word “snow”. Oh, the south…

18. i like your sorority.
    and i like you.

i like your sorority.
    and i like you.

<3 anon

19. Rebecca says:

WOW! We get snow days every year down here in AR. If it snows like 1/4 inch we get off school, not that we get even that much very often. hey do you happen to know any Latter-Day Saint students at MIT? I would really like to get in touch with somebody who is LDS, and I was hoping you could help. All the snow makes me really want to go to MIT even more!

how much did you guys get?
    it doesn’t seem like a ton, maybe a few inches….
    where i live, school is hardly ever canceled for snow (only6+inches will do that) but sometimes for ice.

21. Miss Arizona says:

yeah. snow stinks. coming from arizona, the coolest (cool as in awesome, not cold) state ever (real burritos, the sun and swimming for 10 months out of the year) , its hard living with the snow. good post shannon grin.

22. JonTec says:

“…took a trip from the quiet city of Grand Rapids, Michigan, th[r]ough Canada, and all the way to Cambridge.”

I’m from SW Virginia… I would be very upset if I were a student at MIT and didn’t get *one* snow day out of 7+ inches. My school’s been closed for 3 days due to 4-6 inches (though the school serves a large county…).

23. mohit sharma says:

hi i m from india nd wanna to know something abt cambridge ,plz rply or send mail on my account,,
    mahi_shamli @ rediff.com,,,,[email protected]
    thanking you

24. niki says:

My high school let out early when the snow got too heavy, so I figured “hey, I’ll catch an earlier bus and get to Hamline 45 minutes early for Chinese!”
    I caught that bus and got there 15 minutes late to discover that the university had also been shut down.
    About an hour later I finally completed the usually-10-minute bus ride home (after the bus stalled on a SLIGHT incline — several buses literally had to be towed on some of the bigger hills in town.)
    But I bought kimchi on the way, which makes up for everything.

25. Rebeca '13? says:

Hi Laura! I was wondering if you could perhaps do a little research into laser tagging at MIT. Is there a club or team for it? Also, are there any good laser tag arenas nearby?

Thank you!

26. Rebeca '13 says:

D8 I am ashamed to see that I had the wrong window open when I left that comment. I’m so sorry, Shannon.

If you still wanted to do an entry about laser tagging at MIT, that would be awesome. Once again, I’m really sorry. ;_;